Enuresis Treatment Center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My sister is thinking of using the Enuresis Treatment Center for her son, aged 12 who has a serious bed-wetting problem.  I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has used the center and get their views on how successful it was.  They have tried everything possible from alarms, herbal remedies, acupuncture, to waking up etc etc but nothing has worked.  We are hoping this would will cure him!

thanks

Daire

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM

Hi everyone!

I've gotten a bunch of PM's about the Center recently, so I came looking to see if a new thread had opened and there it was!

We've used the Center's program (and graduated!) so if anyone is interested, please PM me and I will let you know about our experience.

#3 of 12 Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Could you please let me know about your experince? I've been considering this program.

#4 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM

We are looking for options to cure my son's enuresis.  Found the Enuresis Treatment Center website.  Didn't see many specifics and they charge $75 just for the initial one-hour consult.  Wondering what their treatment entails (just what bio-feedback they use) and what your experience was.  How long has your child been dry following treatment?  What is was cost? 

#5 of 12 Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your posts.  I have asked my sister to give her thoughts on the Enuresis Treatment Centre as she is currently in the process, here is her response. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Following an initial assessment,my 12 yr old son started the Enuresis Treatment Programme. He is now 7 weeks into it. This process involves recording my sons nightly activities while using an alarm system. My son wet the first night & since then he either wakes up when the alarm goes off (not very frequently), or wakes himself before the alarm goes off to go to the bathroom (most nights), or will sleep through the whole night.
 We have tried many things over the years but nothing has ever worked as quick & as successful as this treatment. We have been told that it will take up to 6 months for the programme to be a complete success.

It has cost us €2500 approx but I believe that it is worth every cent.

You only have to look at the delight in my son's eyes every morning as he wakes up in a dry bed. Don't hesitate & join up now, you won't regret it.

#6 of 12 Old 05-30-2011, 01:19 PM

So sorry that I haven't been back to post a reply.  I have a gravely ill father-in-law, and we are completely swept up in that right now.

To answer as succinctly as possible:

The "biofeedback" portion of the program involved us filling out charts nightly (as Daire's SIL has written) and then being told what to do by our counselor.  Basically, for us, it was breaking our daughter's bad sleep pattern.  Even when we thought she was awake she really wasn't.  It did come to us using a "mist-er" and misting her face with cold water when she awoke with the alarm.  Once we were thoroughly waking her when she had an accident, those times stopped. 

We also did some kegel exercises and some bladder strengthening ones too.

DD started in late March 2010 and was dry by June 2010.  She had a little problem that September for a couple of nights because she had a UTI.  But otherwise she has been completely dry every night.  We are going on a year now.

For us it cost $2700.  I have been told that they have a "budget" plan right now of about $1500, but I am not sure all it entails.

Truly the best  money we've ever spent.

#7 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 PM

How did their alarm differ from other alarms that they sell?

#8 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 05:52 AM

You may also want to check the book 'Getting to Dry' it is very thorough about the different types of accidents and how to treat them.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#9 of 12 Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 PM

we did the consult - waste of money for us because we had spoken with them previously and read the materials on the web.  they even state "alarms don't work".  then we dissapointed to learn that the main part of their treatment was the alarm.  Alarms do work - our daughter just dreads it (which is why we stopped using it too soon).  Judging from the other responses, I can't see why to spend so much (it comes to $300 per hour!!!!!!) for an over the phone consultation that coaches you through using an alarm and maybe some kegels. 

For starters, buy an alarm (Malem) and try it out - stick with it!  If you have money to burn, try biodfeedback (especially if also wet during the day).

Other details of the program - they claim "unlimited access to an adviser:.  On the call we learned, 30 minutes every other week.  But you can keep doing it forever.  that's not unlimited.

and no insurance accepts them - which makes we wonder.  They say its because its not a medical problem? But other treatments (like those affiliates mentioned in "getting to dry") are accepted.

#10 of 12 Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Thank you for the information.  I always wondered what alarm they were using or what was so different about them monitoring from way across the nation that I couldn't do at home by myself.  I will buy a malem alarm and see how it works.  My 14 year old son is going to high school now and is very worried about having to go on overnight trips with the varsity teams soon.  I know he has a deep sleep disorder and hopefully the alarm will help.  I think the ideaa of using a mister to wake them up if they don't do it themselves sounds like a good idea.  If anybody has anymore tips that has gone through the program that I can use please let me know I would really appreciate it.  I have a 12 year old that has the same problem too.

#11 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 AM

I have an 11 year old daughter and I have been considering the Enuresis Center as well although have questioned the cost and ability to be effective.  After reading the above comments, I don't believe it would be worth my time and money.  I'm at a point where I want to help her but have no idea what to do.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

#12 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Practitioner reviews belong here

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page