Do you make your kids stay at the dinner table until everyone is done? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was specifically talking about dinner.  Cereal boxes are OK for casual breakfast but when we have have Sunday brunch, etc they are a no-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

I can't imagine a breakfast table without cereal boxes on them. I used to read them daily when I was a kid.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#32 of 40 Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 PM

We do not make DD stay. After she is finished she can ask to be excused and she has to clear her plate. However, there is no screen time until everyone is done and DH and I don't get up from the table to help her with a project or whatever, we get to finish our meal at our own pace. If she says she's bored or something--after having left the table--we invite her to come on back and join in the conversation. Sometimes after asking to be excused she'll hang out and chat or decide to eat a little more anyway.

#33 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Till recently we have not insisted that the kids stay at the table till we are finished. However neither of ours are great eaters, it's not so much pickyness about what they will eat but they are very wriggly and rarely eat much. However over the last few weeks we are noticing that if we can encourage them to stay at the table long enough to settle down they will eat much more of their dinner.

I don;t want to be sitting there saying 3 more bites of dinner before you can leave but asking them to stay and trying harder to engage them in conversation seems to be working for now. Ask me next week and you  may get a very different answer

#34 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 AM

In our house, dinner time is family time.  Everyone is expected to stay at the table until dinner is over.  Eating is just one aspect of our dinner time tradition.

#35 of 40 Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Dd is an only and is almost always the last to finish.  This has not been a big issue for us.  We all ask to be excused (which is kind of a rhetorical question, but we all ask it if we want to leave the table early).  "Being excused" means going back to homework or work or something quiet that was being engaged in prior to dinner.  Table manners are very important, as are all manners, in our household.  Daily meals are not "formal", but they're proper.  We eat together, at a table, and there is no TV allowed.  We don't have video games (hand-held or otherwise) or smart phones, so TV would be the only distraction.  About once every couple of months we'll order in pizza and "picnic" on the living room floor (blanket included to protect the rug) with a movie, but otherwise it's proper meals at a table.  We have absolutely THE BEST conversations at the dinner table.  It's everyone's favorite time of the day.

#36 of 40 Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 AM

We stay at the table, too. And, like most everyone else, no TV or computer during supper. 

At other people's houses and restaurants, I want my kids to be content at the table until the meal is done, so it works for me to teach that regularly at home.  That way, it's much easier in other situations.

#37 of 40 Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM

I don't really have to experience for my opinion to mean much here, but this seems like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Another it depends. Some nights, I do want my fast eater to hear the family conversation. Other nights, I let him go after he's sat with us a little while.

#38 of 40 Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I also have a slow eater who is almost always the last one finished.  She's 5.5.  On the rare occasion she does finish early, she asks to be excused from the table and she is free to go.  I appreciate her use of her manners.  The 2 year old isn't capable, in my view, of sitting beyond the length of his meal, so, he's free to go.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#39 of 40 Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Yes, I let people leave the table when they are done eating.

#40 of 40 Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 PM

We have a lot of foster kids in and out of our house.  Our rule is everyone sits for dinner.  I find that if we don't do this about 20 minutes after supper kids are hungry.  And they are often more willing to give a meal a second try if they have nothing to do but sit there.  We usually eat a later super and no bedtime snack so eating is important.

If we are having adult company over and wanting to talk longer then they are free to go but still no TV or computer as this is all basically in the same room .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page