my 4 yr old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 4 year old will not stop  saying he is hungery! if i let him he will eat all day, he  has his breckfast in the morning and 10 mins later he saying mum im hungry he says this all day intill he goes to bed. is this normal for a 4 yr old boy to keep saying? i weighed him the other day and it said he was 3 ft4 and 4 stone is this overweight? pls help

#2 of 7 Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM

I too am having the same problem with my 3 and 4 year olds. They act like they are always hungry! I thought that maybe it was out of boredom but they'll even ask when I'm keeping them busy and doing arts and crafts. I hope that you get some good advice, cause I will be taking notes as well.

#3 of 7 Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Could it be what they are eating? If it is super processed foods, or sugary snacks, then it is very tempting to eat a lot. And not actually very filling. So you end up hungry and desiring another snack quite quick, and it goes in a vicious circle.

I figured out my kids will actually eat less lunch or dinner if they know they are getting a dessert or chocolate. So we stopped that when possible (of course not possible at birthday parties, grandmas... but 95% of the time we eat at home.) So maybe he is eating a light breakfast, knowing the snack later will be more yummy? Try leaving out good, nutritious snacks, and let him eat to his hearts content. Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, fresh spinach leaves.... maybe some banana or pear slices... If he really is hungry, he will eat the snacks. If he isn't, he will wait until the next meal. 

#4 of 7 Old 04-02-2011, 12:32 PM

The CDC growth charts can help in the us. I presume you are in the uk and I would guess they have something similar. You should be able to ask your health visitor since your child is under 5.

http://cdc.gov/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
#5 of 7 Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 PM

My 4 year old is always hungry too! It is so frustrating! I think it's because of being bored, but I don't know. She eats healthy things, not junk too. I know that she is probably growing, but we just can't afford for her to go through so much food in just a couple of days! Her and her 2 year old sister ate the whole carton of strawberries in 2 days, we go through a loaf of bread in just a few days because she always wants peanut butter sandwiches. Plus she just wants to eat the bread plain!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#6 of 7 Old 04-03-2011, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

growth spurt.

for about two months or so in summer dd outeats everyone in the house. she eats two bfasts, lunches and dinners - puts on weight, grows pretty round and then suddenly right before school starts almost overnight she shoots up and loses her roundness.

if i buy her uniform a month  before school starts they are a size smaller by the time she starts school. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 7 Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Maybe it's an age/developmental thing? My DS is 4 1/2 and he's the same way. I find myself saying/thinking a lot "You can't eat all day!" lol

Michelle SAHM to K (3/2004)  H (8/2006) P (7/2011) & we're missing Finley Jonas born still, July 27, 2010 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page