does my 5 yr old really need expensive shoes anymore? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I willingly shelled out $$$ for good shoes - Preschoolians, SKR, Stride Rite - but now that my son is older, are these really necessary? Stride Rite shoes don't even seem to have any special technology in the larger sizes - what am I even paying for? Can I just buy him a pair of cheaper sneakers at Target or Payless? I've always avoided Crocs, because they seem so non-supportive, but they do seem awfully great for summer. Any advice greatly appreciated!

#2 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM

I may be the wrong person to ask because I literally just walked in the door from buying DD6 a $70 pair of Saucony running shoes and DD4 a $55 pair of Stride Rites.  LOL  I firmly believe that good quality shoes are essential, especially running shoes.  For one thing, the better quality shoes fit better (assuming you get the right brand for your foot shape).   Good fitting shoes prevent blisters, prevent turned ankles and injured knees.   We have crocs too but only for slipping on for quick trips outside, ie to the garden or to the picnic table.  Any serious playing requires the running shoes.    I winced a little when signing the credit card slip today but oh well, we'll skip a few trips to the restaurant and it will all even out.

#3 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 PM

We buy more expensive shoes for our kids even when they're older.  They typically wear the one pair all the time so I think they do need to be good shoes.  And the fact that they're very active and still growing and I do think quality shoes are important.

#4 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Our pediatrician said the expensive shoes weren't worth the money.  The only problem is, my kids like the more expensive ones because they're more comfortable-- so we mostly get Vans for the 9 yo boys and "Simple" for my  5 yo dd.

#5 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM

IME the pricier shoes last longer. I bought ds a pr of cheap shoes from Zellers- like Target in Canada but not nearly as good :) - and they didn't even last through the fall. The rubber sole was worn down in no time. I got him some adidas sneakers and they still look new though he has mostly worn them inside at school, he has worn them outside some.

I get their shoes from Winners- like T.J. Maxx in Canada- and they are usually at least 50% off the regular retail price. Dd's Saucony runners were $34.99. Do you have T.J. Maxx there and do they sell kids shoes?

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#6 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 02:58 PM

I always bought my child the more expensive shoes.  They last longer, kids can run better than in the clunky Target shoes, and they just seem sturdier.

But, I also bought her the cheap silly shoes that she wanted.  The sparkley ruby slippers from Target were a messy pain in the neck, but they made her happy.

#7 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

DS get the expensive shoes because he has strange feet. His feet are wide and he needs shoes that FIT.  Right now he loves KEENS and at $50 before any sales I dont complain.  He wears them almost daily, we live in AZ.  He also loves crocs and crocs flip flops are the ONLY flippers that do not give him blisters or hurt his feet.  He gets horrible heel pain in those cheap foam flippers.  For sneakers he likes Nike or New Balance, again $50 range.  Right now he is a boys 5-6 WIDE... right on the cusp of the end of boys sizes....

Cheap shoes in the desert just dont work, the sand, dirt, heat (yes HOT cement will melt shoes) equates to a waste of money.

I would rather spend $50 for one good solid pair of shoes then $12 four times and have a child in pain.

FWIW I just got my REI 'rebate'- REI is where we get the Keens and it looks like we will be shoe shopping this month!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM

While I don't think it's the brand that matters, I think good supportive shoes are a necessity for people of all ages, not just children.  In fact, I would argue that it's more important as we get older!

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#9 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Yes!  Ive noticed this myself.... I can NOT wear shoes that are not supportative.  I know what brands and styles work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

While I don't think it's the brand that matters, I think good supportive shoes are a necessity for people of all ages, not just children.  In fact, I would argue that it's more important as we get older!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

depends. 

certain style of cheap shows dont work. they seem comfortable when dd tries them on but then once she is home and walking on them for a bit, no more. 

so i keep an eye out for brands and styles. the money is not the issue. just coz they are expensive doesnt guarantee 'good' shoes. by good i mean comfortable. 

however i am one of those who feel that shoes also need to be 'aired' out so dd never gets just one expensive pair. i always buy two. otherwise whewy. stinky. 

i have found cheaper shoes though barely make it till the end. they kinda fall apart. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 09:14 AM
MJB

I usually spend about $30 on shoes for my school aged kids. Any cheaper and they will not last, but I don't think you need to spend a ton. Converse sneakers hold up well, are relatively cheap, and have pretty flexible soles and roomy toes. My 5 yr. old also has a pair of Pumas he picked out and loves. 

#12 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

We tend to go middle-of-the-road.  Really cheap shoes just aren't comfortable and will fall apart too quickly.  But a lot of super pricey shoes aren't necessarily worth what you pay.  Often you can spend considerably less and get an equally comfortable shoe, just without the pricey brand name.  Like a pp mentioned Winners is a great place to get well made shoes for a lot less than you'd pay elsewhere.  

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#13 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM

See, I have the opposite philosophy. There's enough research out there that suggests bare feet or soft soles are best for foot development, and my DD (almost 2) had only worn harder soled shoes for winter boots. I'm a bit hypervigilant about this as I have completely flat feet, and have my entire life. So, for now, DD wears Robeez, and will until she grows out of them.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#14 of 21 Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM

During the summer my kids often head out without shoes on at all, but when it comes to leaving the house (or Fall, Winter, Spring) they need some sort of shoe to wear.  Unfortunately, all three of my children need a wide shoe (my oldest needs extra wide) much like their father.  I say unfortunately, because I literally cannot find a wide shoe at any of the "cheap" places.  Payless in particular used to carry wides, but it seems ever since the recession began this is no longer the case.  So...no cheap shoes for us.  I'd go for fit most of all followed by how long the shoes will last.  Cost does come in to place as there are limits to what we can afford, but overall I'd say it depends on the child and the shoe.

#15 of 21 Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

See, I have the opposite philosophy. There's enough research out there that suggests bare feet or soft soles are best for foot development, and my DD (almost 2) had only worn harder soled shoes for winter boots. I'm a bit hypervigilant about this as I have completely flat feet, and have my entire life. So, for now, DD wears Robeez, and will until she grows out of them.

So true. My spring-born children didn't own shoes until they were in their second year, and then it was only because they needed protection due to walking outside in winter conditions. During their first winter, before they were walking, I just put them in knit booties to go outside. I am a firm believer in allowing children to go barefoot as much as possible as they learn to walk. You are right, there's lots of research that supports barefoot walking for foot development. 

As they grew older and needed shoes, I looked for quality, well-fitting footwear for comfort, to avoid blisters and irritation, and for durability. That usually meant I paid a little more, but not necessarily top price. There are an awful lot of pricey shoes that are badly made and don't fit well too.

#16 of 21 Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

my dd had SPD. minor not enough to be seen. even as a baby she could not bear socks on her feet, let alone shoes. she didnt regularly start wearing shoes till she started K.  we walked everywhere barefoot (we took public transport) through all the seasons (not much of a winter here) that was my biggest concern in her starting K. how will she be able to wear socks and shoes at school. even today she goes barefoot most of the time.  

Quote:

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#17 of 21 Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM

I agree with the other posters... I spent $40-60 on a pair of shoes for my 4yo and they seem to last until he grows out of them. When I buy cheaper shoes (like Target when I'm in a pinch) they last 1 or 2 months and then start falling apart at the seams or the straps start coming loose. We don't buy the $100+ shoes, though, so I'd consider $40-50 mid-priced as far as kids' shoes go.
#18 of 21 Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoDandJ View Post

I agree with the other posters... I spent $40-60 on a pair of shoes for my 4yo and they seem to last until he grows out of them. When I buy cheaper shoes (like Target when I'm in a pinch) they last 1 or 2 months and then start falling apart at the seams or the straps start coming loose. We don't buy the $100+ shoes, though, so I'd consider $40-50 mid-priced as far as kids' shoes go.

This is us. We went through a period of buying shoes from Target and usually had to replace them less than half way through the season. Her more expensive shoes last until they are outgrown, which is a longer stretch of time now that she is older.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#19 of 21 Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I'm with you and am surprised to hear people wanting supportive shoes after hearing over and over the benefits of soft soled shoes for growing feet.
We go Soft Star shoes for our kids for the winter and now we're into crocs. They aren't as flexible as I'd like but they are better, imo, than any sneaker-type shoe.
I wear vibram five fingers and am hoping that the kids go mostly bare feet this summer.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#20 of 21 Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovermont View Post

I'm with you and am surprised to hear people wanting supportive shoes after hearing over and over the benefits of soft soled shoes for growing feet.
We go Soft Star shoes for our kids for the winter and now we're into crocs. They aren't as flexible as I'd like but they are better, imo, than any sneaker-type shoe.
I wear vibram five fingers and am hoping that the kids go mostly bare feet this summer.

I could write word by word this post. Kids are bare feet year around at home, Soft Star Shoes *boots for winter, Crocs for summer, DH and I wear Vibram, at we all spend  bare feet  time as much is possible.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#21 of 21 Old 04-09-2011, 06:32 PM

I buy dd shoes at Target because I can bend the shoe in one hand with little effort. They do sell some clunky shoes with absurdly thick soles, but those aren't the only options. So far, dd has outgrown her shoes before they had any issues. In fact, one pair she didn't want to give up when they were getting too small and I cut the toes out and she wore them as sandals for another 3 months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page