Story books for preschoolers about BIG FEELINGS, esp anger, and need for separation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just came across The Chocolate Covered Cookie Tantrum, which is amazingly illustrated and written as a fully embodied experience of a tantrum. 

That's been great, but actually my son is not (YET!) much into tantrums, per se. He's busy checking out anger, and what it's like to not get what you want, and the need to get away from us sometimes.

Unless it's super skillful, a talky book with no plot won't hold his interest much.

What are your faves in this department?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Do you know Mad at Mommy? I absolutely love this book - a little bunny is frustrated one morning because he is bored and mommy is sleeping in, and starts a little rant to his mom about all the things she does that aren't fair and make him mad. When he gets to the end of his rant, he "runs away" (to the other side of the door). The reader gets to stay with the mom and see her concern for the little bunny, and when he comes back in there is a really sweet reunion.

My kids totally identify with the little bunny and love to analyze all of his complaints. And I love the message that family members can get really angry with each other, but still love and care about each other.

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-At-Mommy-Komako-Sakai/dp/054521209X

Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Ahn's Anger is a good one.  It might be for slightly older kids though.  At 4 and 5, my son loved it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Old 04-16-2011, 10:56 AM

I love several of the Maurice Sendak books for this theme.  From Where the Wild Things Are to Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. 

He frequently deals with kids having very big feelings they can't quite control and needing to be away from others for a while.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM

sometimes I feel Bombaloo

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

These are all exactly what I was hoping for - the Ahn's Anger has also gotten me interested in the meditation for little people line of books too. I was able to get the Sophie book from the library and it was put into play about an hour later when the next anger storm hit. Can't wait to see Mad at Mommy, in this very bunny time of the year.

RoViMama, does that Bombaloo book include the kid getting a "time out"? That's probably going to be a parenting technique of last resort for us, so maybe we'd hold off on a book featuring time outs til our backs are up against that wall.

And hakeber, you've inspired me to pull some of the darker sendaks off the high shelves where we stashed them when our son was still too tender.

More, y'all?

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM

I like Lama Lama Mad at Mama and I also like Lama Lama Red Pajama. I read them to my toddler class, they are simple, very cute and have a good message.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 PM

I read Mouse Was Mad by Linda Urban with my little one to talk about ways to deal with anger/frustration.  Maybe it will work for you.

Librarian, Blogger, Book Reviewer, Mama

User Tag List