Boys sharing a room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're looking into moving in the next couple of months and I'm wondering about how well my boys will share a room as they get older. I have a 5.5 and a 3 year old with the typical love/hate relationship of siblings. We live in an isolated area w/ only a few housing choices in our price range; several have three bedrooms and there are five of us.  How well has sharing worked in your home? Will we need to plan ahead to create another space so they don't have to share as they get near the teen years?

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
#2 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 PM

My boys are 7 and 4 1/2, and they share a room. We have a guest room, so they could each have their own room, but I like having a guest room, and they have never asked to have their own room, so I'm in no hurry to split them up. All in all, I think they like sharing a room. The little one likes everything his big brother likes, so decorating it was not difficult. Within the room, they do each have some of their own space - they have bunk beds, and each one has picked out his own bedding and wall stickers for his bunk. Each has his own toy shelf in the closet, and each has his own dresser. They put their very special toys on display on their own dressers, and are very respectful about not touching things on their brother's dresser.

They fight a lot (normal sibling stuff), but really, I don't think sharing a room is a factor in any of their disputes. Before moving into their room, we had a family bed, so I think they actually really like having someone else in the same room at bedtime.

The room is a little cramped (we do not have a playroom, so their toys are all stored there as well), so space may become an issue for them as they get bigger. I don't have a magic age when we will separate them - I grew up in a large family where we shared rooms out of necessity, so having a plan for separate rooms doesn't seem that urgent to me. As a matter of fact, I was still sharing a room with a younger sister when I met my husband (I was in my early twenties, and had moved back home to save money.) It was sometimes irritating to have to share, but I mostly have positive memories of that time. My husband, on the other hand, never shared a room with his brother and finds the concept of not having your own space really odd. So, our plan is to add a guest room in our basement sometime in the next few years, and give them the option of having separate rooms at that point.

#3 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 PM

My boys are 12 and 14, have always shared a room, and are complete polar opposites personality wise. My 14 yo has the biggest issue because all of his friends live in huge houses and we, don't. And won't. It's just not who we are. They have an older sister who has her own room and he has some resentment about that too but, eh. He just needs to deal with it.
#4 of 10 Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM

My 3 yo dd and 5 yo ds share a room and have for over a year. It is their normal. It is harder for my ds because he is an introvert and needs alone time. They like it but do fight sometimes, of course. I have found that having a room for sleeping separate from toys is important for us.

#5 of 10 Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Honestly, I don't know of any same sex siblings with such a small age gap that don't share a room.  If they think they need more space as teenagers, you could look into building lofts or something that would give them more of a sense of privacy/space in their room.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 10 Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 AM
MJB

My sons are 8 and 5 and have always shared a room. We will consider getting them separate rooms when we move, but for now it's fine. All of their toys and books are shared anyway-- we didn't even label their Xmas presents this year. Putting them in their own rooms would be like a divorce with toy custody arrangements. 

#7 of 10 Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM

Kids have shared space with each other and with parents for most of human history. Think of all the New Yorkers who grew up in tenement apartments and shared space with multiple siblings. My sisters and I shared rooms growing up, even choosing to be together when we had the option to have separate rooms. Kids in college dorms share space. It's not a big deal. They will work with whatever living space they are given.

hakeber likes this.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#8 of 10 Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
srs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcparker View Post

Kids have shared space with each other and with parents for most of human history. Think of all the New Yorkers who grew up in tenement apartments and shared space with multiple siblings. My sisters and I shared rooms growing up, even choosing to be together when we had the option to have separate rooms. Kids in college dorms share space. It's not a big deal. They will work with whatever living space they are given.

This, especially still true in most of the world. Growing up, I shared with two different sisters at different times, at first out of necessity, and then later as teens by choice.

DD 04/07 DS 12/09
#9 of 10 Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM

I think sharing a bedroom is very special.

I can imagine getting two of these beds would be great http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10123996 then each child has their own personal space under the bed for toys or reading. You could add a curtain for extra privacy. Also they could both have sleepovers easily with the friends sleeping under there.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#10 of 10 Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post

I think sharing a bedroom is very special.

I can imagine getting two of these beds would be great http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10123996 then each child has their own personal space under the bed for toys or reading. You could add a curtain for extra privacy. Also they could both have sleepovers easily with the friends sleeping under there.

Thanks for the suggestion on the furniture. I can see that working very well as each child has his own space. They do sleep in the family bed now, so continuing to share will probably not be a problem for some time! I

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page