Baby talk with four year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-15-2002, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. Does anyone have the issue of baby talk all of a sudden? My four year old daughter has just started this. I assume it is because I am just about ready to have our second baby and this is her way of getting attention. I just don't want it to be a permanent thing. I can still remember being about 7 or 8 and having my family tell me to stop talking like a baby. I don't want her to go that long
Do I tell her to stop or just ignore it?
#2 of 9 Old 05-15-2002, 05:13 PM

Hello PAflower,
well I don't think ANYthing is a permanent thing (like the old joke about stopping nursing before college) so i wouldn't worry about it. You alreadt understand why,and there may be all kinds of babylike behaviours after no.2 comes along, they are just your little one's way of dealing with a bit of insecurity. Don't pay it undue attention, if she's feeling insecure and you tell her to stop you might have an unnecessary conflict on your hands. I know it sounds irritating (that's the babytalk!)but
#3 of 9 Old 05-16-2002, 03:30 AM

Some kids do. Normal. ignore it. By-gones.

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#4 of 9 Old 05-16-2002, 10:33 AM

I certainly don't have another on the way, and my 4 yr old is doing this too. It must be a stage!
#5 of 9 Old 05-16-2002, 07:28 PM

I agree with Asha, I have a three year old and he went through the same thing. I told him that I couldn't understand what he was saying and sometimes I would talk baby talk with him to make him laugh. He grew out it.
Sarah
#6 of 9 Old 05-16-2002, 08:13 PM

My ds (4) does this also. It's so darn annoying!

For the most part I just ask him to repeat what he said in his "big boy voice." I also tell him it us up to us to teach his younger brother how to talk and if we use baby talk then how will he learn to speak with big words. He loves being a big brother and is proud to help teach his younger brother anything - so this works to motivate him.

L
#7 of 9 Old 05-17-2002, 02:24 AM

My 4 yr old does it too and I'm not pregnant. I just ignore it. She doesn't do it constantly or it would probably drives me nuts. I've wondered if growing up and more independent is sometimes scary and she just wants reassurance that she is still as close to mom as when she was a baby. She also seems to do it more after we've spent time with a friend with a 2 yr old.
#8 of 9 Old 05-31-2002, 05:12 AM

It must totally be a developmental thing. My 3 1/2 year old ds does this and he wouldn't have known where to pick it up and doesn't know this is "baby talk" as we have never labled it, etc. It does bug me but we don't say anything about it and respond to him in the same manner as if he had talked "normaly".

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#9 of 9 Old 05-31-2002, 06:56 AM

This is funny because we have a 2yr old and a 4 yr old and just this week our children's grandpa asked when did our 4yr old go back to talking baby talk?

I hadn't even noticed it since we have a 2 yr old using baby talk at the same time.

He is at an age where he imitates and picks things up really fast. He also picked up some not so good language from a 10yr old neighbor boy too. Maybe occasional bouts of baby talk is not so bad!

We just ask him to talk plain and don't make to much of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page