Pulling out of school because of bullying??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2012, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tittipeitto View Post

This new school is nowhere as high performing as his old school, and my husband still complains about that. But we could not be happier, this new school just has the greatest parents, principal and atmosphere!

The school we pulled DS from was also one of the best performing schools around and every parent wanted to go there. His new school . .. actually overall bad reports (though they're working hard on it!). Great atmosphere, lovely kids and families. DS fit in immediately and loves it. We're so glad we made the switch!

I'm very very happy for you and your child. What a great update!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

That's a great update!

Tell your husband that it doesn't matter how high performing the school is. Your child won't learn if he's under that much stress. Furthermore, it's what goes on at home that really matters for elementary school, for the most part. My kids go to an "underperforming" school -- 80% free/reduced lunch, ~70% don't speak English as their first language. Test scores are so-so. But, we've had excellent teachers, an amazing discipline system that focuses on the positive, and bullying is an absolute minimum. If it's discovered, they address it immediately.  For example, they recently assigned seats to all the kids on the bus because they were having some behavior issues, which included bullying. They separated the bullies, and they made it possible for the bus drivers to immediately identify the trouble makers. In addition, the school counselor goes into every class weekly to work on social skills and reinforce the ideas of being kind, safe and respectful. The kids may not be the highest achieving, but they're nice kids. And none of "test score" stuff has held my kids back -- both of whom are working well above grade level.

Tried to multi-quote above but it didn't work.

Anyway, DS' "new" school is a bit like this. (He's been there since Nov. 2010, though, so it's not so new anymore! smile.gif) Anyway, after having lived through DS being so unhappy, excluded, and just generally losing confidence in himself, I stopped caring about how the school performed on standaridized tests, etc. I cared about the atmosphere and the overall values being taught and modeled at the school. Of course, I want DS to learn all the academic stuff (and he does! He got top scores on all the standaridized tests except for spelling) but we read to him at home, go to the library and museums regularly, travel, are a bilingual family and so forth. So he gets that enrichment at home anyway. I want him to be happy at school and feel that the rest will follow.

Anyway, OP, so so glad things are working out!

User Tag List