7 yr old boy with penile yeast infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay I know- FUN TITLE huh?

But my son seems to have a yeast infection under the penis onto his scrotum. He IS circumcised however.... the hospital who circumsised him in did a chop job and actually missed half the foreskin underneath so there is very loose skin there that hangs over his scrotum. My other boy has NEVER had any issues but his package is pretty clean and easy to manage so I figured I had to have a talk with my ailing child about how he especially needs to wipe after he goes to the bathroom?

I put some Monistat cream on it for him this morning but I was wondering if any of you have any other ideas... I DO HAVE Gentian Violette that I use in the beginning of my postpartum days since my own yeast content sky-rockets and both baby and I are thrush prone. Im used to treating thrush- but I am not sure if it would be the same for a school age kiddo to use it? I know that GV should be used SPARINGLY anyway, but I just wanted to know if any of you have dealt with this issue naturally without having to go purchase a bunch of pharmicutical junk.

THANKS!

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

#2 of 4 Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You could try putting plain yogurt on it directly.  I'd think it would clear up more easily in a boy since it's easier to keep that area dry.  Yeast likes warm, moist, and nonacidic environments.  But acidic stuff can burn if the skin is raw.  That's why people use diluted vinegar as a rinse.  You can try that, too, but it might sting if it isn't diluted enough.  Yogurt is messier but I don't think it will sting.  Diluted vinegar is good to prevent reoccurrences.  You can keep it in a spray bottle to use after baths.  

Yeast infections in that area are sometimes called "jock itch" and common with athletes.  "Athlete's foot" is a yeast infection on the feet.  Ringworm is also a type of yeast infection.  There are OTC products for jock itch if it persists and natural products don't clear it up.  I'd guess it's more of a sweaty or not drying after baths issue than a wiping one.  There are probably some dietary changes that can help make someone less susceptible to yeast infections (try the health and healing forum).

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 4 Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH had a ton of problems with jock itch last year. He tried all kinds of OTC stuff and even went to the doctor, I believe but nothing really worked until he went searching for a natural remedy and found info about using coconut oil and tea tree oil. He melted the coconut oil (about a quarter of a cup) and mixed in a few drops of TTO and let it cool. He used that as a cream after showers, before bed, etc. Three or four times a day, I think, and it cleared up fairly quickly. He now makes sure to keep the area as dry as possible (applies baby powder before exercise, etc) and he hasn't had it recur.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#4 of 4 Old 05-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I don't have a son, but I hope you don't mind me crashing this thread. Yeast can continue to live on clothes even after they are washed (even in hot water!). One of the thing that caused recurring breast yeast infections for me was the yeast on my bras and breast pads. Once I started adding vinegar to my wash (google for the right proportions), the other treatments worked and I didn't get reinfected. You may want to try adding vinegar to the washes with your son's underwear. Good luck!

Edited to correct spelling.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page