How many times a day does your six-year-old cry? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Frequently? Occasionally? And what brings them to tears?

Just trying to get a feel for what's normal here!

Mommy to kids

#2 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

At 6, my DD didn't cry at all most days.  I don't think it was any more often than once a week, maybe a lot less than that.  Probably the thing most likely to make her cry was feeling she had done something wrong or that someone was angry at her.  Or getting hurt.

My 5 1/2 year old DS gets upset and yells several times on a typical day, but that doesn't turn into real crying most of the time.  He might cry several times a week.  Typical causes: being briefly unable to find me in a public place, frustration over not being able to have or do something he wants, getting hurt.

#3 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 PM

well he's pretty explosive and intense so he throws fits but not usually crying.  i woud say at least 4 times a day  he's usually a lot better when his big brother isn't around

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Minor cry (no real tears, just upset over minor incidents like someone opening the door first or a minor fall...) = about two times a day. 

Major cry (tears, actually hurt or very sad/angry) = about once or twice a month,

#5 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Mine are 5.5

Real tears- red faced cry from emotional pain/upset    (this is  excluding physical pain (hurt) which is each one probably every other day)

DD1-  every three days or so

DD2- once a week or so

Minor upset and sad faces with some wailing/gnashing of teeth due to perceived injustices or minor bumps/bruises- daily (2-3 x) but no real tears here nor does it last more than a few moments.

DD1 goes thorough phases-- sometimes we will have a 'day' where she will get emotionally stressed with lots of tears several times about once a month or so. Usually when she is sick, tired, or stressed.

#6 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Most days, none. Probably once every 3-4 days I'd say. But she makes plenty of pouty faces and sad faces daily for everything she feels wronged about--her brother got to choose what's for lunch, she didn't win at a game, whatever. 3 yo DS probably cries once-twice a day from either bonking his head or unhappiness.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#7 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM

A few times a day.  Either fell off his bike onto the road or his brother hit him or something!

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#8 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 04:56 PM

One or two times a day. She's 6 1/2, turning 7 in a few weeks, and this is down from the 2-4 times a day we had 6 months or so ago.

Today: We ran out of what she wanted for lunch (upset #1). I'm expecting upset #2 to come any time now. She had a light lunch and so I'm thinking that as soon as hunger hits, we're in for another storm.

She's very difficult to get out of bed in the morning so we often have tears getting her out of bed. We often have tears around mealtimes and/or chore times. We're working hard on whining (or more accurately, not whining as she's got the whining down quite nicelywinky.gif), but every once in a while, it gets on my nerves and I yell. And then tears ensue. She's a pretty emotional/dramatic kid.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#9 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 AM

Couple times a day. 

#10 of 10 Old 05-08-2011, 07:31 AM

Plenty of pouting and whining (a distinctly *six* phenomenon), but she only really cries maybe a couple times a week tops, usually when she's overtired and feeling easily frustrated or emotionally fragile. So when it happens, it's usually late afternoon or early evening when she's just hit her wall and needs some cuddles and a quick bedtime.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page