5 yo dd broke both wrists at school - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no experience whatsoever with broken bones, so I don't really know what's normal. They gave her Advil in the hospital and that's what we've been using, but she still has some pain after 48 hours. Can anybody tell me how long "normal" pain and discomfort should last after a fracture? She broke both bones in both wrists so I fully expect some stiffness and soreness and her level does not seem excessive.

I'm also uncertain about when she should return to school. I'm fine keeping her home but she is getting bored and wants to go back. The kindergarten teacher will help her get her lunch opened and ready to eat and there is an assistant who can help to in the bathroom if necessary. I am worried that she cannot be monitored closely enough on the playground to ensure that she won't fall down and hurt her arms.

Any advice from somebody who's "btdt"?

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM

No advice just flowersforyou.gif awww your dd is a trooper!  I hope she feels less pain soon, that had to have been a scary experience for both of you.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd talk to the doctor about school and pain meds. Is there an alternative she can do at recess? At our school kids can go to the library during recess.

I'm surprised they only gave you advil. I would have expected to be sent home with a stronger pain killer to use as needed (heck that's what we got for ds when he had minor surgery. I think I gave him one dose and the rest is still in my cupboard, waiting for me to figure out how to dispose of it so it doesn't go into the water supply).

When I broke my leg eons ago, it took about a week or so for the pain to be minimal. Remember that she probably also has bruising on her wrists from the fall.

What did she fall from that broke both wrists?! Ouch, poor kid.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

#4 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

She fell off the top of the play structure - she meant to slide down the pole, but missed it completely. I guess she fell about seven feet (not a personal best for her, either). I'm not sure how she fell to take the brunt of it on her hands, but I'm just as happy not to have seen it. I was a little surprised that advil was all they gave her too.

#5 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM

No advice, but HUGS and hope she recovers quickly.

Rhianna

#6 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Hugs to you and uour DD. I hope she feels better soon.

I have no idea about children's meds. I broke both my wrists (high impact compression fractures of the radius bones) and was prescribed hydrocodeine which made me vomit and then I was told to just take extra strength tylenol.  I just didn't bother with meds as the pain wasn't that bad and I'm parnoid about taking too much and damaging my liver.. I did end up requiring surgery whcih complicated it a little for me.

#7 of 8 Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Your poor DD! I hope she recovers quickly. 

I broke my wrist as a child and it hurt for at least a week. I would call the doctor about the meds and when she should return to school -- I'd probably keep her home for another day or two myself, but it sounds like your DD is itching to get back.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#8 of 8 Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I finally gave in and let her go today. They are going on a field trip this afternoon to the fire hall which she didn't want to miss. I will go in at lunch and help her eat and use the bathroom and then walk with the class (22 blocks in the rain). If I were her  I think I'd still be on the couch feeling sorry for myself. She has one hot pink cast and one purple one so she's getting lots of attention and her friends are lining up to help her open doors and so forth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page