pinata - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure this had been discussed here before, but...

I'm looking for ideas of things to put in a pinata.

My boys are turning 5 and 8 and we're having a science themed birthday party for them.

I love making a pinata, and the boys love having a pinata as part of their party.

But, I hate filling it with candy and tons of little cheap plastic junk.

We don't have lots of money to spend on the stuff either.

Last year,  I made bean bags and bought a bunch of beanie babies at the thrift shop, it was heavy but it worked.

I'm looking for more ideas.

#2 of 10 Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM

i filled ours recently with pencils (that we acquired at various parades where they throw out goodies for the kids). 

i also offloaded whatever miscellaneous whatever i could find that was new and sitting around in junk drawers, etc. lots of it garnered from parades, etc.

small books, sometimes you can find at Dollar Tree.

#3 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How about plastic test tubes?  I'm seeing packs of 25 with caps on Amazon for $5-6.  Maybe you can think of something to put in them, too...  You could get a pack of Ph paper strips and divy it up into them (and color copy the chart that comes with it).

I've gotten a large cup of pick-a-brick legos and put them in a pinata, before.  Ds has a bag of mini erasers from the last party with a pinata he went to...  Stickers, bouncy balls?

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 AM

Plastic magnifying glasses?  You'll have to hunt for a good deal and quantity though you could give them out for Halloween too if you bought the 144 pack for $15 (on Amazon).

I'm seeing safety goggles for around $1.50-2.00 ea but that would be better to give each kid individually so you could get the exact number.  Plus that'll add up $$ fast.

A pack of 100 Ph strips should be about $5, btw.

#5 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 05:42 AM

Slime in a beaker shaped container.

http://www.carnivalsource.com/store/p/18812-Novelty-Toys-Galaxy-Slime-One-Dozen-.html

#6 of 10 Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 PM

i didn't know that it was tradition to use fruit from trees...but have filled pinatas with satsumas and other tiny oranges. my daughter once picked all of the flowers from our tree (some kind of rose bearing bush) to put inside her pinata. we have also done the round up of tiny little treasures around that house that can be regifted without attachment. bean bags are a great idea. we've also done pretty marbles, larger glow in the dark stickers, and other types of things too, i'm sure. just drawing a blank.  we've also made little bundles with pistachios, almonds, and other trail mix type nuts..... and i was at a party where the pinata had yogurt covered raisins and little seed packages.

i love to get creative with what goes inside---but it can be tricky to think up things.

let us know what you come up with!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#7 of 10 Old 05-26-2011, 04:44 PM

We have done erasers/miniature notebooks/silly straws/little tubs of playdoh/little sticker books/snack bars.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#8 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 03:45 AM

We had a *huge* pinata last year - I used a 36" balloon.  To take up some of the extra space, we filled some of it with small blown up balloons and streamers.  I think a lot of the ideas you've gotten are what we used treat-wise.  Have fun!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#9 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 AM

Try www.americanscienceandsurplus.com for lots of cheapish science stuff.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#10 of 10 Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 PM

We've done the tradition thing (candy) and also boxes of organic raisins and the 100 calorie pack cookies from TJ's (found those to be a little big for a pinata). 

I think the idea about the pencils is great but I am always thinking about safety with the pinatas.  :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page