Maybe Picking your nose is "natural" - Mothering Forums
The Childhood Years > Maybe Picking your nose is "natural"
mkmama 08:22 PM 05-12-2011

bag.gif I mean, i think everyone has picked their nose at some point in time. You have to admit, if you can't get a booger a finger is the perfect tool to help. Yes you should wash your hands, yes its really not appropriate in public or to wipe somewhat gross things in inappropriate places like bus seats.

But really? I nag and nag and nag my kid not to have his finger up his nose...and maybe it is the "natural" thing to do and i should just lay off.

thoughts on nagging or letting it go? sulkoff.gif

philomom's Avatar philomom 08:32 PM 05-12-2011
I treat it like masturbation... everybody does it .. no one wants to watch. Go to your room or bathroom. Wash hands when done. Thank you.blush.gif
lilbsmama's Avatar lilbsmama 09:11 PM 05-12-2011

picking your nose is hardly akin to playing with yourself. I do not nag my kids about picking their noses. I do, however nag him about eating his treasures....bag.gif

ecoteat's Avatar ecoteat 09:32 PM 05-12-2011

I'm picking my nose right now! (just kidding. maybe!)

There are actually some health benefits to picking your nose and eating the boogers: http://improbable.com/2004/06/08/bischinger-sees-good-things-in-your-nose/ I tell dd that no one wants to see her pick her nose and that no one wants her boogery fingers touching them or their stuff.

LuxPerpetua 08:18 AM 05-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I treat it like masturbation... everybody does it .. no one wants to watch. Go to your room or bathroom. Wash hands when done. Thank you.blush.gif

Actually I had never heard of masturbation until I was an adult, and I never did it.  Although, common, I don't think this is instinctive for all people and for us personally it violates our religious ethics.

As for nose-picking--I think wanting your nose to feel "right" is natural and there are many means to that end.  I tell dd that the best thing is to use a tissue but if you don't have one available, you can clean your nose with your fingers but wash them afterward and put whatever comes out on a piece of paper, napkin, or blade of grass and throw it away.  Now, eating boogies is another cup of tea.  Ewww.  I have always heard this was due to a protein deficiency.  DD has never done that.

philomom's Avatar philomom 11:13 AM 05-13-2011
My point was that its not polite to do in public areas, common rooms of the house, schoolyards.. that sort of thing.
treeoflife3's Avatar treeoflife3 11:16 AM 05-13-2011

nose picking doesn't bother me... neither does eating the boogers.  I just don't want to see it.  besides, as a kid I totally picked AND ate... and I was NEVER sick.  EVER.  the only time I missed school for being ill were days I faked it.  I agree that it is like masturbation in that people know it probably happens with many (and yes, including children) but no one wants to see it.  or a more comfortable comparison.. its like eating food... no one wants to see your mouth open while you eat it but we all know what it looks like in there.  Just... keep it to yourself!

hakeber's Avatar hakeber 12:13 PM 05-13-2011

I agree with you Philomom.  I remind DS that if he picks his nose in public people will probably not want to spend time with him.  It is mostly a social taboo, like masturbation, or spitting (some cultures have no qualms with spitting or picking, BTW) or cursing.  There is nothing particularly wrong with doing it from a logical standpoint, but it's icky, and makes people uncomfortable (in our society), so if you want to make friends, conform and use a tisue or go somewhere private.  On the other hand if you want to be the gross kid no one wants to sit next to...ya know...go for it!

pianojazzgirl's Avatar pianojazzgirl 02:00 PM 05-14-2011

I agree that while "natural" it's also something that most people find gross to watch!  Do it in private and wash your hands afterwards and it's all good with me!

Llyra's Avatar Llyra 06:00 PM 05-14-2011
I don't restrict nose-picking. As a matter of fact, I pick mine frequently-- yikes2.gifBolt.gif -- and they see me do it, so I really wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on, if I decided to make it an issue. What I do is to let them know, clearly and often, that most people think it's gross, that they will get a bad reaction if they do it in public, and that probably it's best to restrict it to at home "en famille," or in private places like bathroom stalls. That way they know. I also make sure they realize that over-enthusiastic picking leads to sores and nosebleeds. Again, so they know-- if they want to give themselves a raw nose, that's their choice, but they can't say I didn't warn them. And they get me as a model-- I'll do it frequently, at home, but they will never, ever see me do it in front of anybody else.

So far it's worked-- DD1 goes to school, and has a zillion friends, and she knows not to pick except privately at home. She seems to have a balanced view of the whole issue. I'm happy with that.

BubbleMa's Avatar BubbleMa 07:23 PM 05-14-2011

DD has never really been a nose picker, but I certainly wouldn't discourage it.  Now farting...that's another story.  She farts like no other.  They're silent but deadly.  Between her and the dog...disappointed.gif  I think I'd rather have a nose picker.

mkmama 08:39 PM 05-16-2011

Sorry I haven't been able to check back! I find this all very amusing...and normal. I love it.

Society society. bleh. I understand helping children understand what is acceptable in our culture/public...i do. But many don't accept breastfeeding and we fight for THAT. Ok ok its not the same thing! Not going on a sit in to allow comfort for nose pickers. ha ha ha.

Ok. well thanks ladies. i appreciated the comment on "i pick my nose frequently and wouldn't have a leg to stand on if i nag" (ok not word for word). But anyways, yeah...totally.

Eating i'm still not sure on, but honest, i don't think it really makes you sick and i just am at the point of "who the hell cares". I mean...really. i have bigger battles/life lessons to work on with my kids.

i love this site.

RoViMama's Avatar RoViMama 11:39 PM 05-17-2011

I learned last week that nose picking may be a self regulating behavior.  it stimulates a cranial nerve!!  Interesting huh

PAOUtah's Avatar PAOUtah 11:11 AM 05-18-2011

I prefer to call it cleaning one's nose. It's natural but I insist my DS use tissue because invariably he's going to touch his eyes and that's where most if not all infections and sickness starts.

If I never touch my face then I never get sick. Not so with DS who brings home whatever sickness is in vogue at school. Take whooping cough for example: if the school and kids are clean, no whooping cough.

Cleanliness is indeed next to goddessness.

Dandy Lion's Avatar Dandy Lion 06:57 PM 05-27-2011

What a hilarious thread! My daughter who is 5 is a closet nose picker. She confessed it to me the other day and I nearly died from trying to keep a straight face. I've always told her it's something we do privately, and it's best to wash your hands before and after.

kayleesmom's Avatar kayleesmom 08:25 PM 08-18-2011

I see nothing wrong with picking your nose. just do it in private and wash your hands after.

stormborn's Avatar stormborn 09:39 PM 08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmama View Post

Sorry I haven't been able to check back! I find this all very amusing...and normal. I love it.

Society society. bleh. I understand helping children understand what is acceptable in our culture/public...i do. But many don't accept breastfeeding and we fight for THAT. Ok ok its not the same thing! Not going on a sit in to allow comfort for nose pickers. ha ha ha.

THAT's a vivid mental image! A pick-in.ROTFLMAO.gif

Eavesdrop's Avatar Eavesdrop 09:46 PM 08-18-2011

I have a friend who spent a summer in India who says that in India people pick their noses in public and no one thinks anything of it.

I never blow my nose. I don't understand why everyone else does that. It feels gross and doesn't make my nose less stuffed.

wookie's Avatar wookie 05:37 AM 08-20-2011

um, i'm from india and no, it's not that no one thinks anything of it..it's just that if you see someone doing it walking by on the road you're not going to go up to them and say anything, yk? i assure you, most people do think "yuck" when encountering a public nose picker. now, public crotch scratchers is another thing...bigeyes.gif

Up