hidden penis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my son will be 3 in september, he has had what the doctors call hidden penis sinc he was about three months old and started putting on a lot of weight...ive had a few docs say that it will come out when he starts thinning out but it is not growing since it is in all the time...we went to childrens today to see a doc...he said we can do surgery but didnt explain anything about the surgery and the after effect or anything...so i looked it up and the pictures i found of the after surgery were very upsetting....it looked very very painfull and i do not want to put my son through something that is painfull if it is not going to help him, i just need some opinions and some advice. someone please!

#2 of 3 Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 AM

Dear Friend, 

Thank you for reaching out. One of the hardest parts of parenting is managing the anxiety, and discerning what we can fix and what might be a challenging part of our child's journey despite our best efforts. I think the first step is to create a quiet space for yourself to support the emotional content of your inquiry. Put the solutions on hold for a moment and designate a special journal for only this topic; write out your sadness at having to deal with a physical situation with your child, and write out your worst fears. Giving the fear a tangible location will help contain it, which will thereby make the research easier to navigate and help you tackle the logistic steps of figuring out the best solution. In terms of the medical issue at hand, I would suggest you continue your due diligence of research (as you are doing here,) and additionally, I would seek out multiple consultations from medical professionals in your area, both conservative and alternative. Once you have a lay of the land of the different options, then you can weigh the pros and cons, and plan your course of action. Try to differentiate between the issue of the surgery being painful or being helpful. If it is painful and yields results, perhaps it will be worth it to you; if the surgery can wait without hindering the results, perhaps that will feel right. I would also suggest posting to Dr. Sears; he is on this panel. I do not know the medical implications of the surgery for your child. I wish you all the best as you address this issue.

Yours,

Jessica

The Ultimate Parenting Course is a must-have for every parent. This online course features over four hours of video and audio interviews plus a 100 page handbook with action exercises and additional contributions from PhDs, MDs, Naturopathic doctors, psychotherapists, educators, and best-selling authors, in eight essential parenting themes: Identity, Co-Parenting, Sleep, Feeding, Attachment, Individuation, Conflict and Community. BUY NOW!!

The L.O.V.E. Parenting Birthkit has helped women have a transformational and empowering birth. Written exercises, audio & private coaching. Amazing for first or second pregnancy.

Birthing A New Mother home study program NOW AVAILABLE for pre-conception, pregnancy & the first year of motherhood. I am a featured contributor in this course brought to you by Conscious Motherhood.

Like me on Facebook L.O.V.E. Parenting and Follow on Twitter @LoveParenting

Private Coaching Session! Phone or Los Angeles office. www.LoveParentingLA.com

• “Truly amazing woman. I love her advice.”—Carrie-Anne Moss.

• “All you have shared has helped tremendously.”—Lisa Bonet.

•  “I am experiencing nothing short of a miracle thanks to your laser beam approach!”—Andrea BendewaldLPLOGO.jpg

#3 of 3 Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 AM

p.s. Dr. Sears posted about this issue yesterday under a thread called "circumcision"and he seemed confident that the issue self-corrects by age 3 or 4 and did not recommend surgery:

"Yes this is totally normal. We call it the disappearing penis. All the baby fat that collects above and around the penis sucks the penis into the body and hides it. You need to be diligent in pulling the skin back once a day as long as he's in diapers so it doesn't get stuck. The penis will stick out normally once he thins out (3 or 4 years?) and it will end up looking circumcized. I'd say at least 25% of the patients that I circumcize end up having this too."

Deep breath!

Yours,

Jessica

The Ultimate Parenting Course is a must-have for every parent. This online course features over four hours of video and audio interviews plus a 100 page handbook with action exercises and additional contributions from PhDs, MDs, Naturopathic doctors, psychotherapists, educators, and best-selling authors, in eight essential parenting themes: Identity, Co-Parenting, Sleep, Feeding, Attachment, Individuation, Conflict and Community. BUY NOW!!

The L.O.V.E. Parenting Birthkit has helped women have a transformational and empowering birth. Written exercises, audio & private coaching. Amazing for first or second pregnancy.

Birthing A New Mother home study program NOW AVAILABLE for pre-conception, pregnancy & the first year of motherhood. I am a featured contributor in this course brought to you by Conscious Motherhood.

Like me on Facebook L.O.V.E. Parenting and Follow on Twitter @LoveParenting

Private Coaching Session! Phone or Los Angeles office. www.LoveParentingLA.com

• “Truly amazing woman. I love her advice.”—Carrie-Anne Moss.

• “All you have shared has helped tremendously.”—Lisa Bonet.

•  “I am experiencing nothing short of a miracle thanks to your laser beam approach!”—Andrea BendewaldLPLOGO.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page