4th graders - breast buds and body hair and doctor's warning - menarche not far away - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromedajulie View Post

I have wondered if she's getting breast buds but not sure if that's just fat? (How do you know?)  

i wasnt sure myself coz dd is chubby and has always had 'man boobs'. then suddenly i notice the nipples were sticking out more and then the area around the nipples. thats when i was sure. i went from not sure to definitely sure in about 3 months. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post

Holy Camolie! I got breasts at age 13-14 and my period at 17!

I had an early bedtime though. And I am old, so probably not half the hormones in all the clothes and food as today.

I hope DD follows suit.

Gosh, I hope my DD follows suit too!  lol  Unfortunately that's not very likely.  I started my period when I was 10, in 5th grade.  My mom never talked to me about it.  She also had a hysterectomy years earlier, so she had no feminine products in the house.  I was mortified to have to ask her to go to the store for some.  :(  It was awful.  Oh, and of course I was so much taller than all the other girls, and boys too.  And I had boobs.  And I was the new girl.  All the boys liked me, and all the girls hated me.  5th grade was the worst. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karne View Post

OP, if you don't already have it, The Care and Keeping of You, in the American Girls series is a very nice intro sort of book to puberty, self care, etc.  It's very readable for a 4th grader, not overwhelming.  My dd still keeps her copy around.

Puberty is a process.  With the girls I would say I started noticing a bit before 5th grade started, maybe end of 4th, and by 6th grade most of the girls were clearly starting to mature.  Talk w/your dd, be open, plan for how to make sure, when she needs to, that she can care for herself at school.  I find most girls, including my own, are amazingly confident and self sufficient.

I bought that book for DD and I'm so glad I did!  I wasn't sure how to bring the topic up with her so I just bought her the book, let her read it alone, and then let her ask me questions.  After she read it she was convinced she needed a training bra.  She brought me the book and pointed out the illustration that describes the various stages of breast development.  She was convinced she had breast buds. She doesn't, she's a little on the chubby side so they do like the picture.  I wasn't going to argue with her though, so we went to Target and bought some training bras.  :)

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

User Tag List