12" Balance Bike for 5yo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is 5.5 and on the small side (okay, she's very small LOL).  She is not strong enough to turn the pedals on her training-wheel bike, but am not sure that a 12" in bike will be the right size.  Anyone have a small older child on a balance bike?  I won't be able to test-drive one locally.  They are listed as for ages 2-4 online, so I was just wondering :)

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 8 Old 05-24-2011, 05:52 PM

We don't have a balance bike but my Ds1 (he's 3.5yrs old) has a 12" bike w/ training wheels (of course) and it fits him perfectly....he rides the thing constantly. I figure by this fall we"ll have to get the next size up for him. Btw he's about 39-40 inches tall.

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#3 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 AM

why not just take the training wheels and pedals off her regular bike?

#4 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 AM

DS never had a bike with training wheels but started at approx 2.5yo with a 12" balance bike. (He's in the 75-80% for H). At 3.5yo he got a regular 14" aluminum bike without training wheels and started riding almost immediately. He's a good rider BUT when he recently tried a friends bike with training wheels he found it almost impossible to turn the pedals. This is a child who quite happily cycles 6km on unpaved roads without difficulty.

For your DD, I'd try a regular bike without the pedals - your own as suggested by a pp. I'd also check to see how difficult the pedals on your DD current bike are to move. When she learns how to balance without pedals, she may have difficulty on a bike with a poorly functioning drivetrain.

#5 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 08:59 AM

Well, FWIW, my DD just turned five and is definitely over 40" tall. Although she usually rides her 16" two-wheeler, she sometimes still whips around on her Like-a-Bike. So I think your DD would be fine.

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#6 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Does your dd have other strength issues? My dd (now 4.5) was also never able to pedal her trike or her bike, even when other kids were riding circles around her. She also was low energy, preferred quiet play over active play, avoided a lot of playground equipment. We had her evaluated by an OT for sensory issues and learned that she is low tone. After 9 months of therapy, she's a different kid -- loves the playground and can ride a scooter and a bike with training wheels (not well, but she can do it).

This might not apply to you at all, but I wanted to share our experience.

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#7 of 8 Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 PM

I have a tiny 5 year old (32 pounds, 42 inches). Two years ago we got her this bike because it was the lowest seat we could find. We actually had to modify something to make it low enough. She never really took to it, so this year MIL bought her a bike with training wheels. (And now, to be honest, I'm kicking myself for buying such an expensive balance bike that she doesn't use much at all.) But she still fits comfortably on the balance bike, with the seat still not quite at top height. You need to measure from her crotch to the ground to find out what size to buy. The Mini Glider is for 12"-18" and the Go Glider is for 17.5" to 23". If I was buying one today, I think the bigger one would probably work better (but I haven't measured her, so I'm not sure). I'm not sure how other brands compare for sizing.

#8 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

DD's balance bike is the best one I've ever tried. She rides it (she's four and 38" and 32 lbs.) My almost seven-year-old DS can ride it, too (although his legs are a bit long. It's metal and VERY sturdy. It's the best present Santa ever brought and the company has terrific customer service. http://www.amazon.com/KAZAM-KZM11PK-Kazam-Balance-Bike/dp/B001K61CSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1306256221&sr=1-1

It comes in several different colors.

KaZAM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page