5yo BDay party - not sure how to do gift exchange instead of DS getting all gifts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-08-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS has had enough birthdays now that he expects the gifts...this year I'd really like to try a gift exchange instead where each kid can go home with something, and DS doesn't end up with a lot of toys (not that we don't appreciate them).  And with the economy, I don't want the parents to feel like they HAVE to buy something.

I've heard about book and used toy exchange, but not quite sure of the logistics or how well it would work.  There won't be many kids at the party, probably less than 10, but 2-3 of them would be older/younger than him.  Not sure how that would work, how do you prevent a 2yo or 8yo from getting a kindergarten age toy or book?

And how do you go about the actual exchange?  Do they bring the gift wrapped?  Then how are they distributed?

Any other ideas?  I checked out a birthdays w/o waste site but it didn't help much.  I'll have ot figure it out so I can send the invite (it's in a month, but i just sent a save the date email).

Thanks!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM

I don't have any advice, but wanted to tell you what a great idea I think this is.  Please post after the party to tell us how it went!

#3 of 5 Old 06-08-2011, 05:36 PM

I like the toy exchange idea. I think birthday party gift giving has gotten out of hand. It is going to be tricky making sure each child gets an age appropriate gift. If the kids were a little bit older I would suggest a yankee swap. My only suggestion is to not making the toy swamp a main party of the party. Encourage each family to bring a used but in good condition toy or a few if possible and put them on a table. At the end of the party have each child select a (unwrapped) toy. If possible have some extra toys on hand that you don't mind parting with. I would suggest making the games and cake the main part of the party and the toy swamp just a fun thing on the way out. Good Luck!!

#4 of 5 Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

We did the gift exchange, and amazingly it went great!  It went pretty quick so I didn't see what all the kids got.  Only one fight broke out, but it was between brother/sister so I don't count that :)

I asked everyone to bring a wrapped, used toy from their collection, preferably gender-neutral.  I made two sets of numbers, taped one set to the presents and the other numbers was used for the kids to draw their number. 

One set of siblings did not want to give up any of their toys when their mother asked them, so they brought a gift card for DS.  But DH felt bad for them so I put in an 'backup' present for the 5yo and gave little cars to the younger brothers.  I didn't expect the younger brothers to be able to give up presents and understand what was going on with them.

Oh, and I had 2-3 parents say they thought the exchange was a great idea.  And DS didn't seem bummed about not getting a bunch of new stuff.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#5 of 5 Old 07-15-2011, 10:57 PM

We did a book exchange when my girls were 4.  Everyone brought a wrapped book and put it in a basket.  After cake, every child picked a book and unwrapped it and swaps were made if they got a book they already had.  Parents liked it and all the kids, including mine, seemed happy with it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page