Most used toys by 4 yo? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Most play value for 4 year odl?
puzzles 4 80.00%
figurines (e.g., Playmobil) 17 100.00%
puppets 1 20.00%
dress up clothes (for role playing) 11 100.00%
board/card games 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am thinking of bday presents for DD, who turns 4 in August.  What do your kids (4+) use most?

#2 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM

My son is 6 and my daughter is 2, and they both play with Legos on a regular basis, of all different sizes (the big Quatro, Duplo for toddlers, and the regular small size).

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

My DD1 is 4y10mo.  Her most used toys are small figures (doll house dolls, gnomes, Schleich animals, etc), kitchen stuff, kid furniture (table, chairs, stools, baskets for storing toys, etc get turned into all sorts of things), and she's just getting really into dress up, so silks, princess dresses, slippers, etc.  She also loves bags of all sizes and shapes, which she packs up all the time.  Books are also used daily, and she's getting more and more into blocks of all types.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#4 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

We have a HUGE number of Legos (mine and my brother's) and other construction things (Lincoln Logs, Tinkertoys, unit blocks, Magnatiles), plus a HUGE number of books (e.g., I have bought her 156 in 2011), plus we take out 15+ a week from the library.  All good suggestions, but I think we've got those covered.

#5 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 PM

I have four year old twins.

My kids don't really like puzzles. They do them once, and then they're done, and they never touch it again. But they love stuff like Playmobile-- we have a few sets of that, and similar stuff, plus they still play with the toddler sets like Little People. Dress up clothes are always a real hit, too, especially if they're things the kids can put on and take off without adult help.

I shy away from board and card games largely because without an adult involved, the pieces get lost and they wind up arguing. Those games really need me to play, and I can't always, and then they get upset with me. So I avoid the issue by keeping those games out of reach, and bringing them out only when I know I have undivided time to play.

Our most popular toys right now are big, oversized wooden blocks, Razor Junior scooters, and the Playmobile.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I voted dress up clothes, but legos and k-nex are the toys that have been the most used throughout dd's life.

#7 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM

well, my 4 year old dd loves all those things, but probably plays most with puzzles and figurines the most (out of the ones you mentioned).

also loves things to build with (legos, tinker toys, citiblocks, etc).  she also loves to just run around outside, play tag, ride her bike.  her pretend food is a big hit as well.  loves to set them all up and play store.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#8 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Some of my dd's favorite toys include books, Leapfrog Explorer, Legos, Barbies/dolls, puzzles, crafts (Playdoh, finger paints, coloring, et cetera).

#9 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Playmobil

Craft/painting/drawing supplies

Bike or scooter

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#10 of 19 Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 PM

oh, and, of course, coloring/drawing/cutting/tracing.  how could i forget those?

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#11 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Ds will also be 4 in august

Balance bike
Gluing things to other things
Baby doll
Shovels mud water
Books books books
Dress up
Magnets (letters numbers figures)
He had a total blast with paper dolls at his friend's house last night
Mazes
Dot to dot's
#12 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

None of the things in your poll.

DD (and DS when he was that age) really loves our Magna-Tiles. She could play with those forever. She also loves her KaZAM balance bike.

#13 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Indoors --

We have several of the non-character Imaginext sets - they are definitely the most loved toys in our home. He also loves building: Duplos, Lincoln Logs, blocks, etc.

Outdoors --

He loves riding his bikes (one balance, one regular) and playing sports (soccer and baseball).

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#14 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Tutu, ballet shirt, Dolls, Doll stroller, Play dough, Water colors, Figurines, Moon sand, Bike, Preschool activity books

Not neccessarily in that order.

Positive thoughts generate power, negative ones waste it ~ Unknown
#15 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 PM

blocks!  DS builds with his blocks every single day.  They are the one toy that have had the most longevity.  We have Village of Towers (http://www.amazon.com/Village-of-Towers-DD150-Wooden/dp/B00000IRMH) which is totally fabulous and has been played with for over two years now.  Plus M&D wood blocks and just got some locally made wood blocks as well.  LOVES them.  They become museums and stores and stages for his little plastic cats, apartment buildings with air conditioning, ice cream stands and more. 

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
#16 of 19 Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 PM

I didn't vote because I would have to select almost everything (except puppets).   

When my son turned 4, he was SUPER into puzzles and games.  He's six now, and still loves board games more than almost anything.  He still loves puzzles, too, though he's turned from mostly-jigsaw puzzles to mostly-puzzle-books (mazes, word searches, word scrambles, et cetera).  He also really liked (still does) legos and small figures, but not quite like he loves games and puzzles.

My daughter is 4, and I would say she chooses to play with either dolls or art supplies about 90% of the time she's indoors (she spends a lot of time riding her bike outside, as well).  She likes dress-up clothes, too, but again--not by comparison to dolls and art stuff (markers, scissors, paper, glue, stickers, paint, glitter--all of it).  

If your 4-year-old doesn't have a bike or scooter, my kids both get a TON of use out of theirs, so that's an idea.

#17 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Little animals
Art supplies
Wooden train set
Blocks
#18 of 19 Old 06-19-2011, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, how could I have forgotten! My kids play with stuffed animals more than anything else. They do tons of stuff with them.
#19 of 19 Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM

I'd also put in a vote for play dough and art supplies.  VERY popular in our house

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page