You are invited to a study on parents' guidance of children's TV viewing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

[ Permission to post this message has been obtained from mothering.com Web Director ]

Dear Parent,

My name is Dan Li, and I'm a Ph.D. student in the Department of Communication Studies at Northwestern University. I'm conducting a research project about how American parents guide their young children's TV viewing. This research involves an online survey, and I would like to invite you to participate.

You can take part only if you live in the United States, are at least 18 years old, and have at least one child between 0 and 8 years old. The survey is online, and would take about 20 - 30 minutes to finish. All of your answers will be completely confidential; responses can't be linked to an individual completing the survey.

If the above link doesn't work, you can paste the following URL into your browser's address bar: 
http://survey.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bDDRC7JZ2k7OKby&site=mothering

If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact me at dan-li@northwestern.edu. Questions about your rights as a research subject may be directed to the Office for the Protection of Research Subjects at Northwestern Institutional Review Board at (312) 503-9338. The IRB number for this study is STU00048154, and the title is “Parental active mediation of young children's television viewing: An application of the theory of planned behavior."

Thank you very much!

Dan Li

Ph.D Candidate

Media, Technology, and Society

School of Communication

Northwestern University
#2 of 5 Old 07-08-2011, 01:01 PM

A comment: this survey is very poorly written. The same 10 questions are re-worded 50 times each.

More important, some questions are unanswerable, for example - it asks about reducing the childs agressive behavior and sleep disturbances. But if your child has no agressive behavior or sleep disturbances, then you can not answer. How can the sleep disturbances be good or bad, if there are none? The survey needs a "does not apply" option. 

At my child’s age, reducing his or her aggressive behavior is
Not at all good
2 3 4 5 6 Extremely good

At my child’s age, helping him or her sleep without disturbance is
Not at all good
2 3 4 5 6 Extremely good

#3 of 5 Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM

LOL! At the end of the survey, I emailed him exactly the same comment!  But also about weight and sleep issues.  

#4 of 5 Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Only took me a few minutes, must be because we don't have TV and 4 yo DS doesn't watch any!

#5 of 5 Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

lol - same here. All my answers were the same after the initial few questions!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page