Iphones and kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Went out to eat today where I saw a 3 -4 yearold girl playing an Iphone as soon as they sat down (it was the little girl and a mom) she played it until the food came, and then as soon as she was done eating she played it again.

I thought it was kind of sad. I usually don't judge other peoples parenting and figure we all do things differently. I went to use the bathroom and when I came out I noticed another table, a family and a girl aged 4-5 also playing an Iphone.

I don't have anything against kids playing them in general(but I think/hope it should be limited)

I just keep seeing it everywhere I go. I worry about what it might mean for kids in the future. Will they be able to sit still without entertainment?  I'm just wondering if I'm alone? It just kind of shocked me today. I don't think I have noticed until now because I sort of ignored Iphones, but now that I have one I notice how many others do too. 

#2 of 65 Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM

What's sad about it? I play with my phone/book/whatever when I'm waiting for things, and I plan to encourage my kids to do the same. I really don't see any value in being "able to sit still without entertainment" regardless of the person's age. In fact, I think life is too valuable to spend it sitting around literally doing nothing for no reason. In situations like a restaurant, you can't even just sit around thinking because there are too many distractions (and you're probably hungry).

I don't think it's new either. Haven't doctor's offices stocked their waiting rooms with magazines for a long time? I'm not sure when that started, but I'm pretty sure it predates the iPhone.

gcgirl and One_Girl like this.
#3 of 65 Old 07-09-2011, 01:54 PM

I agree. I think this is very sad, and am scared to see what the future may hold for our children as technology advances more and more.

treehugger.gifMama to a beautiful baby girl diaper.gif.. Ava,   born 8/21/10!  saynovax.gif

#4 of 65 Old 07-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Are kids supposed to sit still without entertainment? Conversation around the table should be encouraged but it's not generally enough to keep a small child engaged. Even when I was a kid my mother always had a few things in her bag to keep us amused, be it pen and paper, a pack of cards, book etc. I do the same for DD now. And when I've been through everything then I resort to letting her play with the drawing app on my (non iphone) phone.

One_Girl likes this.
#5 of 65 Old 07-09-2011, 02:34 PM

I agree. FWIW, the iphone is incredibly engaging and kids are probably learning more from it than they would be coloring on the the picture in on the children's menu, which is what kids were doing 10 years ago. My 15 month old plays games on DH's Iphone and thinks its awesome. It becomes an instant piano when we are in the car and she can make music by pushing the screen certain areas of the screen. Its a lot better than me having to pack tons of toys in the diaper bag to keep her entertained.

We recently went to two graduations and my nephew (6) sat through two hours of both of them because he was playing with his mom's iphone. He and I played tic tac toe, checkers, and he played a word game and a math game. Way better than a game boy smile.gif

Im a lot more concerned about the fact that our kids are being played commercials at the gas pump and video screens talking to us at the grocery store than I am about them occupying themselves with electronics. Heck, half the adults I know are LOST without their phone. Magazines aside, when Im at the doctor's office I see kids playing with toys while all the adults are looking at the internet on their phones. eyesroll.gif
gcgirl likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 08:23 AM

I agree, I think it all adds up to way too much time in front of a screen.   Talk to each, other color together, take a quick walk to the bathroom there is plenty to do without a screen glaring at you.

Mama to Q (9/03) and M (12/06) :
#7 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Posey View Post

I agree, I think it all adds up to way too much time in front of a screen.   Talk to each, other color together, take a quick walk to the bathroom there is plenty to do without a screen glaring at you.

Exactly. And what happened to moms taking color crayons and paper with them? I think its hugely sad that this latest generation has so little social interaction... even within their own families.
#8 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM

My iPhone is a useful tool to keep the kids occupied but I try to use it sparingly to maximize it's effectiveness! 

DH and I get into tiffs about when to pull out the iPhone.  He is of the "give it to them immediately" camp and I am in the "wait and see" camp.  I don't want my kids to be in any given spot and the second they have to wait, I shove an electronic in their face.  Will I use it so I can check my groceries out in peace?  Oh yes.

I took my son out for lunch the other day and there was a family of 4 seated near us.  Both parents on their phones and both kids with hand held video games.  All completely ignoring each other.  It was sad. 

#9 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

What's sad about it? I play with my phone/book/whatever when I'm waiting for things, and I plan to encourage my kids to do the same. I really don't see any value in being "able to sit still without entertainment" regardless of the person's age. In fact, I think life is too valuable to spend it sitting around literally doing nothing for no reason. In situations like a restaurant, you can't even just sit around thinking because there are too many distractions (and you're probably hungry).

I don't think it's new either. Haven't doctor's offices stocked their waiting rooms with magazines for a long time? I'm not sure when that started, but I'm pretty sure it predates the iPhone.

I think it's hugely sad.  I believe there is immense value in "being able to sit still without entertainment."  Thinking, observing, dreaming, chatting, wondering, asking, planning, waiting ... all good things.  I think a big part of life is exactly about sitting around doing nothing.  And yes, you can think despite distractions.  In fact, doing so on a regular basis encourages and helps doing so in general.  I want my children to engage with me and anyone else at the table and the wait staff and their surroundings and the atmosphere, not some prepackaged program on a screen.  Going to a restaurant, for example, is about greeting the staff, getting seated, exploring the tableware (my dd is 2.5), choosing food, looking out the window, asking the server for what she wants politely, waiting and anticipating, enjoying new food and flavours or old favourites, conversing with us, paying, taking our leave, and talking about the meal.  Tonnes of things to do! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#10 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We hand a kid a phone sometimes if one is getting fussy when we're out, or if based on her mood that day we think she might get fussy. We also do the crayons/paper thing and all that, but sometimes the phone is the most effective thing.
One_Girl likes this.
#11 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

That mom could have been having a really tough day and just needed a break.  That's just one snapshop of a view of her day...and just might be the only time it comes out all day and that same kid might not be watching any TV at home.  You just never know.   On the other hand, I agree it's sad when screen time and hi-tech devices are used too often instead of other developmentally appropriate activities such as getting hands dirty in the garden, etc.  And I agree with pp that there are many ways to be creative at a restaurant.  I'd just hate for someone to be passing some sort of sad judgement on my parenting during those rare times when I've pulled out the ipod for dd so I could just get a break and a few moments of peace.

puffingirl likes this.
#12 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

That mom could have been having a really tough day and just needed a break.  That's just one snapshop of a view of her day...and just might be the only time it comes out all day and that same kid might not be watching any TV at home.  You just never know.   On the other hand, I agree it's sad when screen time and hi-tech devices are used too often instead of other developmentally appropriate activities such as getting hands dirty in the garden, etc.  And I agree with pp that there are many ways to be creative at a restaurant.  ;I'd just hate for someone to be passing some sort of sad judgement on my parenting during those rare times when I've pulled out the ipod for dd so I could just get a break and a few moments of peace.

Yep. Or so that I could engage in an adult conversation with DH who is usually away from home from 8 am to 10 pm. I go out with DD all the time, and if its just me and her I will engage with her constantly. But when DH and I are out together with her, we want to be able to talk too.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrie Posey View Post

But you don't have any idea how much time that child spends in front of a screen, what else happened that day, etc.  You are judging someone's parenting based a couple of minutes, during which their child was happy.

iPhones hadn't been invented when my kids were small, and they usually colored at resturants. As they got older, they often read. We eventually decided that they needed to actually converse with us rather than distract themselves, even by reading, but it was when they were older.

My kids have generally been well behaved when eating out, but partly because I think I kept my expectations of them age appropriate.

We did had a few horrid meals out when they were small. One stands out for because another woman was so rude to me about it. My kids were being horrid. Truly horrid. Climbing all over the place and making a lot of noise. We were in the middle of move and they had spent 10 hours in the car, after spending the night in a hotel, after spending day watching strangers pack up all our things. If I had had an iPhone, I would have let them play with it. My DH and I were exhausted and emotional spent and our kids were wigged out and cranky. And we had to eat out because all our things were in a moving truck some one. But some other woman decided to loudly judge and my parenting and my kids based on that one meal.

To get "sad" about another parent doing something that is working for their child  only effects your own state of mind. You are allowing your emotions to be controlled by a situation that you don't even have the facts about.

The kind of energy we sent out comes back to us. Judging parents when you don't even know what is going on is bad karma. nono.gif

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#14 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Speaking for myself, I'm not judging the individual parent who chooses to hand over the iphone to the kid (done it myself on occasion), but I am sad about the trend in general for children to  over-use screens.  My karma is fine, thanks.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#15 of 65 Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i used to care or get sad, but i realized life is too short and i worry about what my own kids are doing.

One_Girl likes this.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#16 of 65 Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

To get "sad" about another parent doing something that is working for their child  only effects your own state of mind. You are allowing your emotions to be controlled by a situation that you don't even have the facts about.

The kind of energy we sent out comes back to us. Judging parents when you don't even know what is going on is bad karma. nono.gif

ITA. Waste of energy to judge someone on something you know nothing about. OP you could have written your post about iPhone usage without the judgements on those two moms.

Reverse situation - we just drove through the Pyrenees. Fantastic scenery, snow and cloud topped mountains, ancient churches and dwelings... my kids entertained themselves in the car for up to 7 hours a day driving, with only playing I spy, some crayons, jigsaw puzzles... very little agrueing or whinning. Does this make my kids saints? Heck no. Does it make my parenting superior because my kids were so "well-behaved"? HECK NO. We had the iPad ready with videos in case they were needed. We were just lucky to have not needed them. 

There have been times in the past when the shouting and ear piercing schreeches could have killed a body. My kids are not perfect, and it makes me understand that other kids aren't perfect either, and just because I see someone for 15 minuites does not mean I know their life story. At all. If someone wants to scan my kids and myself for 15 minutes during one of those hectic times and then make judgements about my kids or my parenting, go ahead. That becomes that persons wasted time and energy not mine.

#17 of 65 Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

I believe there is immense value in "being able to sit still without entertainment."  Thinking, observing, dreaming, chatting, wondering, asking, planning, waiting ... all good things.  I think a big part of life is exactly about sitting around doing nothing.  And yes, you can think despite distractions.  In fact, doing so on a regular basis encourages and helps doing so in general.  I want my children to engage with me and anyone else at the table and the wait staff and their surroundings and the atmosphere, not some prepackaged program on a screen.  Going to a restaurant, for example, is about greeting the staff, getting seated, exploring the tableware (my dd is 2.5), choosing food, looking out the window, asking the server for what she wants politely, waiting and anticipating, enjoying new food and flavours or old favourites, conversing with us, paying, taking our leave, and talking about the meal.  Tonnes of things to do! 

I agree! I think of all the conversations my kids and I might have missed over the years if we'd had a TV in the car or handheld stuff coming everywhere with us.

*bejeweled* likes this.
#18 of 65 Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

I agree! I think of all the conversations my kids and I might have missed over the years if we'd had a TV in the car or handheld stuff coming everywhere with us.

This is so true!  For my family I am so glad we don't use these devices, I am not saying I NEVER will I am saying it seems from an outside observer like a lot of time with a screen in front of them.

Mama to Q (9/03) and M (12/06) :
#19 of 65 Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot1 View Post

That mom could have been having a really tough day and just needed a break.  That's just one snapshop of a view of her day...and just might be the only time it comes out all day and that same kid might not be watching any TV at home.  You just never know.   On the other hand, I agree it's sad when screen time and hi-tech devices are used too often instead of other developmentally appropriate activities such as getting hands dirty in the garden, etc.  And I agree with pp that there are many ways to be creative at a restaurant.  I'd just hate for someone to be passing some sort of sad judgement on my parenting during those rare times when I've pulled out the ipod for dd so I could just get a break and a few moments of peace.

Yep.  My kids sometimes play on my blackberry.  It's not often and it's usually when I need them to be somewhat still and happy and I'm just frazzled.  Eating out a restaurant for dinner?  It's one of the few times they do get to play on my phone.  I really don't see what's so sad about it.

ETA: we also have a DS and a portable dvd player.  And we used both in the car this weekend.  Other parents may be able to drive for hours and deal with their kids and dog while driving 70 mph, but I am not one of those parents.  So yeah, they can watch a movie while I drive.

#20 of 65 Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

I believe there is immense value in "being able to sit still without entertainment." 

I'm curious how you handle it when your child gets to the end of her ability to do that. My parents handled it by smacking us, sometimes across the face. For me, dropping that belief was part of gentle discipline. Some kids are naturally better at it than others, and yes, learning to enjoying one's own company is a good thing, but when your kid gets to the end of it, what do you do? You never invent a silly game, hand your child a pen from your purse and a paper napkin, etc?  

I want my children to engage with me and anyone else at the table and the wait staff and their surroundings and the atmosphere, not some prepackaged program on a screen. 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Many parents of small children have very few minutes of peace to have a real conversation with each other. Some SAHMs of small children are starved for an adult conversation with another mom. I don't see anything inherently wrong with moms meeting these needs, even if she uses her iPhone to do so. I don't buy into the idea that we must interact with our children every single minute of every single day. 

Going to a restaurant, for example, is about greeting the staff, getting seated, exploring the tableware (my dd is 2.5), choosing food, looking out the window, asking the server for what she wants politely, waiting and anticipating, enjoying new food and flavours or old favourites, conversing with us, paying, taking our leave, and talking about the meal.  Tonnes of things to do!

People go out to eat for different reasons and people get VERY different kids. It's great that what you are doing is working for your child.  I'm not knocking it, I think it's great! thumb.gif

But there's still no reason to judge a mother in a different situation with different kids. After all, you might end up doing things differently when you have two kids instead of one, esp if your second child has a different temperament.

I knew a lot more about how other mothers should do things when I just had one quiet child. DD#2 showed up and I found out that you can do all the same things and your child can act VERY differently. winky.gif

One_Girl likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#21 of 65 Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

i can relate to you kibba. not with that exact family but whenever i see kids using technology around me i feel sad. 

nothing to do with that particular family but it always reminds me of those kids who are plugged in and struggle to be plugged off. 

however i feel the sadness many times at different occasions. 

i see fast food as a symbol of how its affecting our diet today.

i see soda and i wonder why its even produced when its so bad for our health. 

why are we so surrounded by junk when we are such an obese nation. 

however one thing i do feel when i see toddlers with iphones. OMG they just get it. it just blows me away how much these 2 year olds know how to use the apps. how intuitive they are with technology. so at the same time i am blown away and sad. 

i guess i am sad coz i volunteer with teens and adults with health issues. and because of that its not parenting that i think of - its society at large that makes me sad. why do we, I let it happen?!!!

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#22 of 65 Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 PM

So, we homeschool with a bit of a waldorf slant. We do less TV than average. I think smart phones are fantastic. 

I guarantee you that with no phones, no electronic games other than Simon and the gigantic Atari, which we were not lugging around in vehicles and restaurants, I had literally 10x the screentime that my kids do. And not good stuff either. Adult shows over my head and things too scary for me to handle. Stuff that just played in front of me, not things I could interact with or be creative with or collaborate or share with friends and family in any way.

DH and I have iPhones. The kids love them. They do plenty of interacting, especially since there's usually two of them and one of it. They take turns. They share. They decorate "cookies and cakes" on the phone and giving them to one another or emailing them to relatives. They take photos of what they see and love and send these to their relatives too. They write emails, the younger suggesting and the older typing. They draw with the drawing programs. If it's not a quiet setting, they turn on music or recordings of themselves singing and dance and sing. Math and foreign language drills, I don't love, but DD does, so okay by me! 

The older one *can* sit still and entertain herself. She's done weeks worth of no media whatsoever. She watches less than most of her friends. The 3 year old is 3 and a firecracker. He doesn't sit still, but I guarantee you no different parenting involving more stuff for him to throw like crayons and tchotchkes would change that, nor would it have if I'd done it from his infancy. Still, why should they sit still w nothing to do?

My older child did this stuff with crayons and paper instead when she was 3 as I didn't have such a phone then. Know what? It was a million times more of a pain in the butt for everyone. Keep the paper dry, then we're out of paper, then the super special paper that we have to mail to grandpa got crunched and oh the horror! Lets not even start on the shape of the crayons!

Media out and about with toddlers/young kids is not the issue in heavy media consumption. It's unregulated TV and computer use in the home, usually in private and by older kids. 

gcgirl likes this.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#23 of 65 Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We limit screen time. We have a portable DVD player, but it only comes in the car with us on drives longer than 4 hours. We have iPod Touches, but when they're in the car they're only for music, not for games. When I sit at the park, I might bring a magazine to leaf through if my kids are occupied and in sight, but I don't play on my phone (because I get more absorbed in it than I do in a magazine, and I worry that I might not notice as easily if my kids move out of sight). 

That said, there are times when I do break out the iPod Touch in a situation where I normally wouldn't. For example, I was shopping in a fabric store for things I desperately needed to buy that day so that I could make Christmas presents for some family members, and I really needed to focus so that I'd get all the right materials in all the right quantities. I had DD with me, and she was bored. So I gave her my iPod Touch and you know what? She was happily occupied for the 20 minutes it took for me to get all my supplies, and then we left the store and had a great day together, without screens. So if some mother saw us during that 20 minutes and got all "sad" for me and my DD, my eyes would roll all the way to the back of my head. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#24 of 65 Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 PM

It is no easy to judge but so hard to know the truth. DH and I were out to dinner with the kids. We each handed them a phone to play on. Looking on, you might feel "sad" for my kids. Of course, you wouldn't know that we were about day 10 of vacationing and doing activities with our kids, that we had just spent a long, hot day walking around a historical villiage learning about the 1800's. They were tired and the restaurant didnt have any crayons or activities for kids. You also might feel bad when you see my kids at the science museum with my DH on the phone or texting away. What you wouldn't know is that because of technology like his smart phone, he is able to watch them while I am at work and still work enough himself to support us. It may look like he is ignoring his kids when in reality he is able to spend days with them and do tons of activities, he just needs to be able to answer a few phone calls or respond to a few emails while he does it.
gcgirl and Mamja like this.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#25 of 65 Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said in my first post... " I don't have anything against kids playing them in general(but I think/hope it should be limited) "

Also my post wasn't about having kids be good "without entertainment" I just remember when kids would color with crayons, play with a toy car, or hold a conversation. This also wasn't about me judging them. It was more about the general idea of kids playing with Iphones/electronic toys all of the time.

"

But there's still no reason to judge a mother in a different situation with different kids. After all, you might end up doing things differently when you have two kids instead of one, esp if your second child has a different temperament.

I knew a lot more about how other mothers should do things when I just had one quiet child. DD#2 showed up and I found out that you can do all the same things and your child can act VERY differently."

When did this become about the number of children someone has? I was just talking about electronics in general.  Not all kids are the same, I think everyone realizes that. I don't need to have more then one child to know this. I'm sure I, or anyone with one would do things diffrently with #2 in general, I'm 100% sure an iphone/electronics usage wont be one of those things that change. ;)

#26 of 65 Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibba View Post

Like I said in my first post... " I don't have anything against kids playing them in general(but I think/hope it should be limited) "

Also my post wasn't about having kids be good "without entertainment" I just remember when kids would color with crayons, play with a toy car, or hold a conversation. This also wasn't about me judging them. It was more about the general idea of kids playing with Iphones/electronic toys all of the time.

So assume, probably correctly in the vast majority of cases, that the parents (who you are seeing for a miniscule portion of their day) do have limits about it. Problem solved, no reason to worry about it anymore. thumb.gif

4evermom and One_Girl like this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#27 of 65 Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just today, I had to wait at a place that wasn't child friendly with my 2-year-old, and I instantly whipped out my iPhone and thought about this thread.
#28 of 65 Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Let's get sad about kids who aren't getting dinner instead of ones playing with an iphone while waiting for one.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#29 of 65 Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Let's get sad about kids who aren't getting dinner instead of ones playing with an iphone while waiting for one.

Well said.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#30 of 65 Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM

You know, I wonder if there is a link between technology and the huge rise in obesity during the last 20 years in this country.  During that time, it has become the norm for every home to have a computer (or 2 or 3) or a TV in every room.  It's probably a contributing factor.  

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html

Sorry for the OT.  I also like having the iTouch as an option when DD is antsy.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page