Mothering Forum banner

Birthday present ideas for a six year old boy

13K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Xerxella 
#1 ·
Any suggestions as to what would be a good birthday present for a six year old boy? Or even just general categories of age appropriate toys/books? My daughter is attending her friend's party on Sunday, but she's a few years younger (and my oldest) so I'm a little lost as to what boys that age like. Not trying to gender stereotype, but the only "cool" presents I can remember from that part of my own childhood are Barbies and Baby Sitters Club books
redface.gif
Thanks in advance for any advice.

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree that Legos are nice. If cost is no object, Lego Mindstorms would be a great gift.

What our six year old son got last week:

* Erector set

* DK book on WW II

* Axis & Allies PC game

* Nerf "laser"-sighted pistol

* Quoridor

* Qwirkle

* Stratego

* ThinkFun Visual Brainstorms

* Rory's Story Cubes

* "A Wrinkle in Time"

* A Goosebumps short novel, "Creep from the Deep"

* "The Wind in the Willows"

* "One Small Square: Woods", and "Pond" by same author

* Iron Man 2 blu ray

* Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind blu ray

(We went way overboard compared to normal, but a lot of this is stuff we had bought some time ago, like those books, and decided to just give them all on his birthday; also some of these came from family)

#5 ·
We love stomp rockets! They are a hit from 18 months well into old age! Every time we give them or have them out all the kids and all the grown ups have a blast. Stomp Rocket Jr. are a little cheaper and I like them better because the rockets don't have a hard plastic tip. They fly just as high as the other stomp rockets.

art supplies are always a hit

bug kits (ya know, catcher, magnifying glass etc)

#7 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas. I ended up getting The Dangerous Book for Boys and a Melissa and Doug "decorate your own" race car bank... because I saw them in the book store and they looked kind of cool? I bought the same child Legos last year for his 5th birthday, so I didn't want to repeat the same gift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.