Can you help a fashion challenged Mama out? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am clueless as to what kinds of clothes little girls wear to school.  What do kindergarten age girls wear?

We have the additional challenge that Gabrielle needs clothes that are easy to get out of for her cathing at shool.  The other challenge is the braces.  If I put her in pants they have to go under the braces.  But then you have to completely take her braces off in order to get her pants off for cathing.  I would prefer to put her in dresses (which she loves) but I know that isn't practical for playing at school.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 8 Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Could leggings go under the braces? My girls wear a lot of leggings and dresses year around. In the summer they put little cotton shorts under the dresses so they can play without having to worry about underwear showing. Neither one of my girls like jeans that much so I reserve those for days when it is muddy out or I know they are doing something really dirty at school. Even in the winter, they just throw snowpants over the dresses and go outside for recess that way. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 8 Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

That is what I was thinking.  The leggings would go under the braces fine and with a longer top or dress would look perfect!

She is also becoming more concerned about people seeing the braces.  With the longer top/dress this would help her feel better.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 8 Old 08-08-2011, 03:52 PM

My daughter wore all kinds of dresses in kindergarten last year. She also wore a lot of skirts, mostly the kinds that have the built in shorts underneath. But still she did wear plenty of dresses with and without leggings. 

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#5 of 8 Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM

My daughter wears tons of dresses... pretty much only dresses, actually. I taught her the basics of proper dress-wearing (lol!) and she likes them better than anything else. She does wear leggings under them in the winter. 

If she is feeling a little worried about the braces you can look into Hanna Andersson dresses as they tend to be a little longer than most store brands. They are pricey but they hold up really well and you can get decent deals on Ebay. Plus, they have long-sleeved dresses and lots of cute prints.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#6 of 8 Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM

LL Bean, Lands End, and Hanna Andersson all have really cute knit dresses.  That's what we do along with tights and leggings for winter.  DD seems to play really well in them.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#7 of 8 Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM

My K girls' favorite outfits are anything matched with these skirts: http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Girls-Skirts/32373-BLU/Girls-Forget-me-not-Multi-Spot-Raw-Edge-Gypsy-Skirt.html.  They are very forgiving as to size and wear well (we have one from two years ago, last year, and this year that they're still wearing and each is a different size), and have elasticized waist for easy on-off.  They wear them with shorts or tights or leggings depending on the weather.  t-shirts in warm weather and long sleeve shirts and cardigans in cold.  They get so many compliments and comments about these skirts.

#8 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Leg warmers are also popular for the colder weather. They could go over her braces if she wanted.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page