4.5 yo hitting, spitting, name calling-only to his older brother - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas,

It's been awhile since I posted here, but I need some serious help.  I'm at my wits end with my middle boy, 4.5 yo.  He and his older brother (6) always squabble, but lately my 4 yo has been getting quite violent. Lots of hitting, kicking, spitting, name calling and it doesn't seem to matter what we do, he cannot stop. I feel so bad for my 6yo :(

The crazy thing is that he is only like this at home.  He is in care during the week and my babysitter (who is also a close friend) says he's an absolute angel. Helpful with the babies, plays amazingly with her son.

Anyway, is this normal first of all, and if it is, I need some suggestions for how to deal with this. And if it's not, well, I need to know that too.

I think there are some contributing factors, he has been a little angry since his little brother was born (17 months ago) but he is generally nice to the baby and does seem to care about him. The other thing is that dp and I have been having problems, so I'm sure that's not helping. I tried to ask him tonight if there are things that are making him sad, angry, etc. but he really just doesn't hear me or understand what i'm asking?

I've really tried to make an effort to let him know I notice when he's being kind and helpful, all those things. I'm trying to give him one on one time, but once his brother is home, he is all over him.

Okay, I will stop rambling and try and add more later. Any advice would be so appreciated.

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page