bedwetting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-17-2002, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping to hear from some of you with older kids who wet the bed. My dd will be 8 soon and wets the bed frequently still. It really bugs her.

We visited a urologist about a year ago. It was a good visit, not embarrassing for her at all since all she had to do is pee ina cup and have an ultrasound of her bladder.

He determined that among possible just plain ol' immaturity of the bladder she also failed to completely empty fully. He told her to wait about a minute after she pees and try to go again.

This really helped a lot with the "drips" during the day and somewhat improved the night time thing but its still there.

Anybody else had any experience like this? Any luck?

Thanks
#2 of 6 Old 05-18-2002, 06:53 AM

Hi Farmmom,

My dd is 6.5 and stills wets the bed pretty much every night. She isn't too bothered by it, I don't think, but I know she'd like to be dry at night. My 4.5 yr old dd still fills a pull-up at night as well. I've never worried about it too much or taken her to the doctor, but I suppose at some point I might.

I think if she was really careful to always go potty right before bed she might more likely be drier or if I got her up in the night, but she sleeps very soundly and doesn't wake up herself. I feel like I should be getting her up, but I don't always feel like it in the night. Have you tried getting your dd up during the night or before you go to bed? Others have suggested to me to reduce her fluids in the evening but as she doesn't drink that much water during the day, I just can't get myself to not let her drink in the evening if she wants to.

I don't have any suggestions, but can understand the situation.

Alison
#3 of 6 Old 05-18-2002, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your reply. We do get her up in the night, it used to be we had to get her up around 11. (she goes to bed at 8) Now it seems to be around 2:30 is the magic hour, so that might mean her bladder is catching up?

We have asked her what she wants us to do. She says she prefers to be woken up. Unfortunately, she sometimes doesn't feel that way at 2 in the morning.

We have tried to follow her lead, only do what she wants us to do. She asked to go to the Dr.

The regular pediatrician once told her kids usually stop wetting by 8, as she is approaching this birthday (2 weeks from today) she is getting frustrated that she still wets.

she would like to have a sleepover but is worried about the friend finding out. She wears "Goodnights" but they are not as much like underwear as the commercial says. More like pull-ups without a picture!
#4 of 6 Old 05-20-2002, 11:00 PM

farmmom,

There have been several threads on this topic and I remember one mom talking about an alarm thing that goes off when they start to pee to wake them up. I don't know anything about them, but she said it worked like a charm for her daughter and didn't take very long for her dd to make the transition to underwear at night. Just thought I'd mention this as it just came to mind and my heart goes out to your dd. I also wet the bed till I was quite old and remember the embarassment.

Alison
#5 of 6 Old 05-21-2002, 01:50 PM

My 8 year old nephew just visited us for a few days and he wets the bed pretty much every night - at least he did up until a few months ago. Their doctor put him on some sort of nose spray and it has solved the problem almost completely. I wish I could remember the name of it, but I can't. My sister told me just to be sure that he peed right before bed and then give him two squirts in each nostril. They feel that it has helped him a lot emotionally. At his age, his friends are into sleepovers and he was never comfortable participating, but now he feels just like every one else. They'll wean him from it every 6 months or so to see it his bladder has matured.
#6 of 6 Old 05-21-2002, 10:25 PM

My almost 8 year old dd wets ocassionally, but we think it is stress related. She had a meltdown today, so I'm expecting a wet bed tonight! I don't really have any advice if it's physical for your dd and not emotional, sorry. But your dd is not alone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page