4 and 5 yr olds showing privates to each other - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How would you respond?

DD (almost 4) playing with another family whom we know really well and play with a lot.  Later that night at home, she said the boy (5) showed her his privates and she showed hers.  She said they didn't touch each others'  privates.

How do you balance the realization that this is typical exploration, but still make an impression on your child that this is NOT okay?  What to you say when this happens? This is my first experience with this.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
They're interested in it all. Just tell her it's really not a good idea to be showing off our private parts and leave it at that
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Well, we don't see it as "not okay" in our family.  Our kid is often naked with other kids, of all genders, either getting dressed, taking a bath, changing clothes, in the bathroom etc, running naked in the sprinkler etc.  So ds has had many opportunities to be naked with other kids.  I'm not saying you *have* to let your kid be naked with other kids, but is pretty typical that they might be nude around one another.

If she'd like more exposure to other's naked bodies (i.e. if you don't have other kids at home, so she never gets a glimpse of a siblings nudity) there are age approriate books like "It's not the stork" and others, that show naked bodies.  This would allow her to "explore" in a safe way and give you a concrete way to answer any questions she might have about people's bodies.  I know "Its Not the Stork" has a section on "good touch, bad touch" although I don't remember if it has anything specifically about not showing body parts.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Oh and if you don't want it to happen again, constant adult supervision is the key.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Totally normal.  I did it as a kid.  I wouldn't freak out if my kid did it.  As long as the kids are both young, and no one is being coerced, which is unlikely. 

User Tag List