Crying and sports - how to handle? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS#1 is involved in two sports - baseball and soccer.  Baseball is usually once a week and soccer, he has practice on Wednesdays and then games on Saturdays.  Lately, after the game is over, or if he falls down during practice or didn't live up to his own expectations of doing some right, he cries... and cries.  He's the only kid on his team that gets upset this way and we are looking for any and all ideas of how to correct this. 

DH thinks that we need to work on his diet a bit - cut out the sugary stuff - he's not a huge veggie eater but do offer it at every meal and he takes a few bites here and there.  Do you think maybe he's overworked?  Oh and he's going to Kindergarten now as well.  I think with the two sports, he's doing too much, but DH signed him up for both and DS was excited about being able to particpate in both sports, I just don't want this to end up running him down and him regretting it all.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 05:57 PM

Try making him eat protein / fat right before practices and then hand him something like a muffin right after.  If no weight problem and he can sip calories during practice, all the better.  Then go get dinner.

At that age my children were very fragile when they had exerted themselves and were the least bit hungry.

And make sure he is getting a lot of sleep.

#3 of 6 Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM

he just started kindergarten.  he sounds tired.  Kindergarten alone makes most kids tired & act like he is acting.  It's an adjustment for them.   Add in sports & it takes about 6 weeks for him to adjust to the extra activity.  My kids are in grades 4, 5 & 8.  With their activities we are not home until between 8 &10 Monday to Thursday.  They've been in school for 4 weeks and this is their 2nd week of activities.  Just the last 2 days they seem to have adjusted to the schedule.  They are also getting up for school earlier then they ever had to.

#4 of 6 Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM

Good luck, I have one like that and he's SEVEN now (sigh).   And he normally has his crying spell right at the start or in the middle (doesn't wait until after that game).  I just have to stay at sport events in case he kicks off.  He's not really the only one who can get teary, just tends to be the most fragile & volatile.

Mine is really not suited for contact sports; team sports are good, though, he isn't losing by himself in that situation.

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 15 and under. ~
#5 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I agree with the up the protein advice. The two sports plus kindergarten might be too much for your DS. Every kid is different. At that age my DS (now 11) was in Judo twice a week and soccer twice a week plus a game on Saturday and he loved the all the activity, but many kids and parents for that matter, couldn't manage that.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

mama just give him some time. 

even if he wasnt doing any sports he might burst into tears at some other time. 

from K to 2nd most kids take a month at least to settle into the back to school mode. 

is he enjoying school? because if he isnt then sports might be a lifesaver esp. if he enjoys it so. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page