Best Birthday gift ever for a boy turning 5! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel like I've lost my touch when it comes to birthday gifts.  I could really use some inspiration.  I'm looking for tried and true suggestions  that made the recipient smile and got lots of play hours and cost less than $100.  Thanks.

#2 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Stomp Rocket with refill rockets. 

Tjej

#3 of 9 Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 PM

A super cool flashlight.  A kit with a compass, lantern, and magnifying glass.

#4 of 9 Old 09-24-2011, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We bought the kids a pop up tent over the summer. We went for a 2 person one similar to this as they have pretty much outgrown the little ball pool one we had. DD7 and DS4 spent ages outside in it.

Binoculars were another kid of the summer, they spent quite a while watching the bird feeders.

They both have wind up flash lights, great because I don't mind when they get left on and I'm not always being pestered for batteries.

We're thinking about a scooter for DS, a lot of the kids ride them to school here and he's just about able to manage DDs 2 wheeled one.

Indoors he still plays with duplo a lot but is also starting to want the smaller lego so we may get some of that for Christmas.

Another thought is a digital camera. We bought one for DDs birthday and DS is asking for one for his birthday in a couple of months. After reading a lot of review we opted not to bother with the kids ones as they don't seem to take great pictures. We went with a cheep adult one, she especially likes the option to take videos and they've been working nicely together putting on puppet shows and filming them.

#5 of 9 Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 AM

I think this varies so much depending on what kind of kid you have. For my son, it was things like:

-- a Playmobil pirate ship (or other set)

http://www.utoypia.com/moreinfo.php?ID=4104&Name=Playmobil

-- a two-wheeled bike

-- a really cool remote controlled car

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UESI7M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_g21_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0GFKG55E1FC6KXGS6VV4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

-- a large Lego set (Star Wars or Alien Conquest)

-- a Nintendo DS

-- a nice set of walkie talkies

Hope you find just the right thing!
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#6 of 9 Old 09-24-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Wonderful ideas so far!  Thanks.  His brother got a "real" rocket for his birthday.  He needs adult help to launch it.  I'm not sure if a stomp rocket would be cool because he could do it himself or a let down because there is no spark (ha).  I'll have to think about that one some more.

We looked through a Toys R Us (uggg) catalog that came yesterday.  He liked the scientific kit looking stuff, a remote control spider or snake, and was in love with the walkie talkies.  

I might actually get this right this year.  Last year he was into turtles but didn't seem impressed with the turtle things I got him.  I'm Impressed with how "ON" your suggestions are.  Good job!!!

#7 of 9 Old 09-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Walkie talkies are a must!  

Binoculars

bug catching equipment (gotta have a place for the rollie pollies to vacation)

Shovel (DD wanted one and really did I need all those holes?)

Pop up tents always rock!

Remote control anything!

My oldest DD didn't play with dolls, she was a thomas the tank engine kind of girl.  Then she loved her walkie talkies and shovel.  Not sure what she was digging for but If I wasn't washing dirt out of her hair then somethig was wrong

#8 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Playmobil pirate ship or other set

Legos of some time

#9 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Another vote for stomp rockets - fun for kids and adults, and easy to take with you to a party or park. We have 2 sets.

We also like Imaginariums Marble Run Deluxe.

Magic sets, especially if you include a costume cape for the real magician look.

Fur Real Macaw, Mr Squawkers.... we love him. Yeah he somestimes stops working for no reason and then works again. But we've had him for 3 years now and he entertains LOL You can record him with your own voice, but it plays back all high pitched... hilarious!

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-FurReal-Friends-Squawkers-Parrot/dp/B000OV7A62/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1317315249&sr=1-2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page