5yr. old still doesn't have a left/right hand preference - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son just started kindergarten last week and still doesn't seem to have much of a hand preference.  It does seem like he does things more with his left, but then will switch.  Such as with eating, he'll eat with whichever hand the fork is nearest at times.  He does prefer to throw a ball left-handed though.  When we tried to have him throw with his right hand, he automatically threw out his left with the right.lol 

Just this morning I was watching from my son's door at kindergarten and saw the teacher have him write his name.  He automatically picked up the pencil with his left hand and as he was beginning to write, she took the pencil and made him put it in his right hand to write.  So I think she is making him write right handed and it doesn't sit well with me if he is wanting to write left.

My biggest problem is that I don't know what to do with any of this.

#2 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 AM

My oldest dd was late to pick a dominant hand and did eventually go with her left for writing and eating. But she will still do many other things with her right, like throw balls, cut with scissors, etc... 

She has been evaluated by an OT and is determined to have mixed dominance. She also has a coordination disorder called dyspraxia. 

ETA: she's 8 yo.

#3 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I am a lefty too but do some things with my right that I can't do with my left, such as cutting with scissors.

Was it difficult for your daughter when it came to writing? 

I'm kind of worrying that the teacher is going to try and force my son to write right-handed if he is preferring to use his left.  And if she isn't telling me and here I am at home letting him write with his left hand, it may just cause problems.

#4 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

I would definitely have a talk with the teacher. Your child should pick whatever hand is most comfortable for him not what she thinks is more convenient or appropriate.

She struggled a lot in kindy with writing and was slow to progress. She's doing much better now but it is a slow process for her and she's a bit of a perfectionist too so that doesn't help. She will still reverses many numbers and letters. She also has moments where she will write from right to left completely mirror image. The OT says it's related to her directionality and laterality confusion. I have met with other moms with kids my dd's age who have children that are lefties that don't have the same issues (thought maybe it was a lefty thing). My suspicion is she's dyslexic (also struggles in reading). Not saying your child is, just sharing what our experience has been.

This is a good book if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Right-Brained-Children-Left-Brained-World-Unlocking/dp/0684847930

ETA: my dd is not ADD, but I found it useful for understanding how she thinks and sees things.

#5 of 11 Old 09-28-2011, 01:03 PM

My ds is a leftie and has always shown left hand dominance. I've asked a lot of my 'lefty' friends for advice and have heard that it's not uncommon for a lefty to be slightly ambidextrous (my spelling's terrible!). An interesting thing my cousin told me though - she's a lefty and a teacher - because most people are right handed, they just forget how difficult it can be to do things with your other hand. She gave the example of using a mouse. In most classrooms they are set up on the right - a young lefty child would try to use it and be frustrated with his or her inability to control it but would not be aware of the reasons why. My little guy was telling me the other day how he uses his fork differently to evryone at pre-school and they (his friends) keep showing him how to use it but he can't do it the way they wanted him to or he kept forgetting. I just reminded him about his left-handedness and told him to remind his teachers. You MUST speak to his teachers and tell them to let him choose which hand to use. He'll naturally choose the one that's more dominant.

#6 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

woah!!! really the teacher is doing that? i thought that only happened in my parents era. not now. i am shocked. 

some people are ambidextrous. my aunt was one of them. she could write with both her arms (as a child i was soooo envious of that). 

i would not be happy with the teacher trying to suggest 'right' hand. i would talk to the teacher. 

i don't think its a big deal at all. not showing preference. in fact he should be allowed his choice - writing with both hands if that IS his choice. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 AM

Kindy is still w/in the range of normal for choosing hand dominance.  My dd is dyslexic and was late to establish dominance in terms of writing.  She is in middle school, and it hasn't been an issue for quite a while.  She naturally prefers her left hand for some things, but clearly write, and leads, with her right.  

I would ask for an OT consult if the teacher, and you, continue to feel dominance is an issue.  It may be that she is trying to help your ds establish a comfortable routine, but really, he needs to do what is comfortable for him.  My dd was "remediated" from left-handedness in the early grades, and it was frustrating, and frankly did more harm than good.  Her dominance came on it's own.

#8 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 AM

We don't know if our 6yo is right or left handed yet.  We think he is lefty like his father but just when we think it is certain, he switches over to his right hand.

What bothers me, and I don't know if it should or not at this point, is he really struggle with writing.  He just started kindergarten. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 11 Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 AM

My suspicion is that if your son throws left handed, he's left handed and you should TELL the teacher that. If you want, I found a little set of tasks you can do to figure out which hand is likely to be dominant (if he's got a preference): http://www.zaner-bloser.com/about/newsandresearch/research/detail.aspx?id=58. If he shows he's more left hand dominant, then you need to tell the teacher you think he's left handed and ask her not to change the hand he writes with. Tell her what you saw. She should know better than that.

For the tasks that require him to pick up something (like eating, the hand puppet or the hammer activities listed here) make sure you place the tool/puppet right in the middle so that he has to choose a hand and doesn't go with whatever's closest. So for a spoon, you could put the spoon in the middle above his bowl and see what he does. Some of them may not work (I don't think my kids could unlock a lock at 5!). And some kids are indeed ambidextrous and late to choose a dominance.

And interestingly enough, hand dominance, foot dominance and eye dominance don't have to be the same. My dd is clearly left handed and left footed. Ds is right handed and left footed. (It causes no end of confusion for him in sports!)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#10 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlne View Post

Just this morning I was watching from my son's door at kindergarten and saw the teacher have him write his name.  He automatically picked up the pencil with his left hand and as he was beginning to write, she took the pencil and made him put it in his right hand to write.  So I think she is making him write right handed and it doesn't sit well with me if he is wanting to write left.

My biggest problem is that I don't know what to do with any of this.

bolding mine. This is a huge no-no. Please talk with the teacher right away. They did this with my brother, and my mother stopped it then. OK, that was 45 years ago, so I am shocked this would still happen today! Forcing lefties to be righties causes a lot of problems - google it. 

FWIW, my DH is ambidextrous, so that's also a possibility. running out the door and have not read replies, will come back later. 

#11 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all the replies.:)

The same day I wrote my original post, I went back to the school to discuss my son's handedness with her a bit more.  I don't trust her now with his writing so I may stay a bit one day next week and see what she does with him again.  She did tell me that she thought he was going to be left-handed.  So if she's telling me that, then I hope she doesn't try to change it and accepts it. 

Making an appointment with an OT may be my next move but I don't know how to start with that yet.  So I'm going to look into that more. 

My son has never been in a school setting so I naturally had several worries and it did make him a little more behind other children, but the great thing is that he's catching on to everything really quick.  I want him to make his own decision on which hand he prefers writing with and I know it can help with his transition into a school setting and not make things any more confusing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page