Reward/allowance thingies? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We also don't do allowance for chores. The kids get a small allowance a week ($1 for the preschooler, $1.50 for the elementary schooler). They do have chores, but they get the allowance regardless of how well they've done completing their work. We use other incentives to encourage them to do their chores (for example, telling them we can all walk down to the park together as long as their room is clean by the time we'd need to go). They can also pay me to do their chores for them, but since I don't work cheaply, I've only been taken up on this offer once.

Usually they save up for 5 or 6 weeks - just long enough to buy a small toy or pack of trading cards - but I do give some incentives/help for saving for bigger ticket items. I do let them make deposits in a family 'bank', and if they save at least $20, they get a rather large interest payment (it works out to raising their weekly allowance by 50%). I will also pay them to do some extra chores around the house. That way there are rewards for kids who save and for kids who are willing to work hard, but they still learn that everyone in the family has to pitch in to take care of the house.

#32 of 38 Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 PM

I tried giving my kids allowance a LONG time ago, and then we couldn't afford to give it for a long time.  I've gone back and forth in my mind on the paying for chores v. not.  Recently we've been more in a situation where we can give them something, but not necessarily a set $$ amount per week per kid.  Here is what we have started to do.  They have all had regular chores they are expected to do.  They do not get paid for them.  They are part of family life, and since Dad is working full time and a 3/4 time student, this puts a lot of pressure on Mom to keep up with everyone's homework, feeding babies, changing diapers, meal times, laundry and clean up.  So, from the 5yo up, they share a fair bit of work around the house.  3yo DD helps pick up toys, and then will help Mama as she can, but no set chore.  Then, if they want to earn pocket money, I have a long list of chores they can choose to do, from small things all the way up to mopping or mowing the lawn (12 or 14 yo only).  There is no limit to what they can earn in a day or week.  They get tired out or bored before they get too high $$.  Most jobs are worth 5, 10 or 25 cents.  A few are as high as a dollar and mowing gets $5.  5 cent items are like each book put properly on the shelf, or piece of laundry picked up off the floor is 5 cents.  I used FlyLady's detailed zone cleaning list (http://flylady.net/pages/FlightPlan.asp click the printable link) and tweeked it to come up with a decent list of extra jobs beyond the basics, then just figured what I'd be willing to pay per job.  

Most of the kids are thrilled with this.  Oldest DS has a job and chooses not to participate, other than mowing the lawn.  They were more active right at first, but anytime they want some spending money, they know how they can get it now.  I have been careful not to penalize them except for one thing, they have been terrible at leaving lights on all over the house.  Running lights costs me extra money, so if they are the cause, they contribute.  If I see bedroom lights left on, all occupants of said room owe me 5 cents, unless I am very sure who was last in there.  Every time I see it, it is 5 cents.  We have had almost no lights left on since about a week after I started fining them for running their lights.  Also, they pay library fines themselves out of their pocket money. 

When we go to big brother's sporting events, I don't have to be begged for money anymore, they are allowed to bring $2 each for snacks.  They can save up for building kits or whatever they want.  Every week to 10 days DH brings home a roll each of quarters/nickels/dimes and if I run out, I save the sheets where they write down their earnings until DH gets to the bank. thumb.gif

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#33 of 38 Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM

subbing

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#34 of 38 Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My kids are 7 and 9 and each make $5/week for chores. DD sweeps and mops the kitchen floor, DS takes care of the dishwasher. I watch 2 other kids after school, so my kids do end up cleaning some of the mess created by my paid employment... that factors in to why I pay them, though it's hardly the whole reason. I expect them to do a good job in a reasonable time frame, just like a real employer. They are free to spend it on treats or save it for the toy store... they do a bit of both, which I think is good.

We tried chores for money once before, about a year ago. It was for $2/week, and DD had to organize the shoe/coat area and DS had to take the garbage can up to the lane. I ended up firing them because I had to nag DS to do his job, and DD wasn't doing hers properly (I gave them each a  few warnings) They seem to have learned from that experience and value their current jobs much more. They prefer having some money they have control over, rather than it being entirely up to me whether or not they get a treat one day. They've spent money on some things I wouldn't, and opted not to spend any money on things I'd have bought for them without hesitation... as a result they have more of what they value. I've actually learned a little bit about them from observing their habits!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#35 of 38 Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Heck I barely have $20/month for extras for myself, those saying a 5-6 year old should have so much must be rich!

Normal chores (picking up his own stuff, etc) I don't pay for, for additional jobs around the house I give DS (5) pocket change. He saves up and buys candy when we go to the candy store.

#36 of 38 Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post

Heck I barely have $20/month for extras for myself, those saying a 5-6 year old should have so much must be rich!

Normal chores (picking up his own stuff, etc) I don't pay for, for additional jobs around the house I give DS (5) pocket change. He saves up and buys candy when we go to the candy store.

We bring in about $30,000./year and half that goes to rent alone. I'm paying 2 kids $5/week and not really feeling it. You just rearrange where you're spending... one family might rent a movie a few times a month, buy a treat with their groceries, and pay for an afternoon at the swimming pool. We skip the movies, the kids get their own treat at the candy store and can pay their own way into the pool. I think it's even more important for those of us with a low income to give the kids some control over money... they can't have everything they want or a lot of the things their friends have, but they can prioritize their wants and spend the amount money that is available on the things that are most important to them.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#37 of 38 Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

We don't tie it to chores, and we do the half-their-age thing, so right now my newly 7-year-old DS gets $3.50/week. We don't start allowance until age 6. 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#38 of 38 Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Right now we're not doing allowance for our DS 4 year old.

However, I did want to mention what Suze Orman recommends in her book, The Money Class. If I remember correctly, for younger kids she recommends a similar system that has been previously mentioned. Required chores that have no financial compensation. Then, there are additional chores that are paid. However, there is a list and order of the chores and kids must fulfill the smaller, boring, lower cost chores first before they can move up to the ones that pay them more. Kids around 5 get paid on a weekly basis.

For older children, such as tweens or early teens, it's the same system, but she recommends paying them on a bi-weekly schedule. Older teens should be paid on a monthly schedule. This is to help them learn to budget their money and make it last the whole month and get them ready for the workforce.

I thought it was an interesting concept.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page