3 year old sleep regression ... why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas:)

Ok so help me here please ... my 3 yo dd has started waking at night again, a lot!!!  She has always gone through cycles of sleeping through the night for a couple weeks and then back to waking every night for a couple weeks and so on but lately it has gotten excessive.  She is waking a couple of times a night and does not want to continue sleeping in her bed.  Granted we have 5 week old twins and she is getting over a cold so it could be a combination of these things but really I am going crazy losing so much sleep between the babies and her waking so often.  Last night she woke up at 1am and would not go back to sleep for at least 2 hours.  She needs someone to be near her to fall back to sleep so my husband and I took turns sitting in the hall ... no fun.  Then she was up again at 5 am and came into bed with me and the babies ... very full bed!!  Is this normal sleep regression or should I be looking for some other source to the night wakings?  

Thanks for listening:)

Janine

Wife to my loving husband, James.  Mother to a beautiful daughter, Jules (8/6/08).  Expecting twin girls September 19th, Jade and Jemma.

#2 of 3 Old 10-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

yup. totally normal. and considering the big changes. even more yeah normal.

at that age their brains are go go go. i recall arund that time, dd would wake and ask a bunch of questions.

its also the age of irrational fears. so  that also might be scaring her enough to not be able to fall back to sleep by herself.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#3 of 3 Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DS did this all last week. He'd wake up to use the bathroom, but then start crying and wanting us. When I took him back to bed, he was wide awake for a couple of hours. When we asked why he was crying, he didn't know, and claimed he only woke up to pee. He's 3, and among other "symptoms" he started exhibiting, I believe it was a growth spurt. I'm pretty sure when I helped him put on his socks this morning that his feet were a whole size bigger than last week... At least it seemed that way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page