Afterschool noise-your thoughts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

if your child is in full day pre-k, how do they behave after you pick them up? after pick-up time, we generally spend some time in the courtyard space outside his montessori school with some of his classmates.  my 4.5 year tends to be very loud and goofy in his play, at times. today i watched couple of moms giving my son "that look" as if to convey 'look at that unruly kid'. i don't know...he's spending 7 hours in school following the rules, so maybe he wants to get some sillies out, as it were...i do give him a warning everytime he gets loud, but it's not always met with compliance. background, one of these glaring moms has a daughter, who, most of us have observed, gets other kids in trouble by crying unnecessarily about everything. i have had a minor run-in with her. so maybe she reacts to that.

but, i want to be proactive if he is indeed behaving unacceptably. so, please do share. how are your kids after-school.

#2 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Uh... loud in the school yard after school?  Don't all kids do that???

I wouldn't worry about it mama, I think it's very normal little kid behaviour.  He's just using his "outside voice" after all.  ;)

One_Girl likes this.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Being loud...outside...on a playground...is not inappropriatelol.gif -- unless he is directly yelling in someone's ear.

One_Girl likes this.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 6 Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothermom View Post

background, one of these glaring moms has a daughter, who, most of us have observed, gets other kids in trouble by crying unnecessarily about everything. i have had a minor run-in with her. so maybe she reacts to that.

but, i want to be proactive if he is indeed behaving unacceptably. so, please do share. how are your kids after-school.

Loud voices outside on the playground while playing - fine. However, I find shrieking and screaming annoying no matter where it happens, even outside. There's a certain vocal range that might get a look (not a glare - just difficult to ignore) from me if I was in the vicinity. I find girls are the worst culprits for it though. 

I did want to comment about the little girl who cries "unnecessarily". She may have sensory processing issues, where she had difficulty taking in and integrating sensory information from everything around her. She may be extremely sensitive and crying may be an outlet for her. Or maybe there are other issues. It's hard to tell from your post whether this is the case, but if so, she deserves a little sympathy. At least as much as your ds who needs "to get some sillies out" at the end of the day. Different kids, different issues, different needs, yk? smile.gif  

#5 of 6 Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Loud voices outside on the playground while playing - fine. However, I find shrieking and screaming annoying no matter where it happens, even outside. There's a certain vocal range that might get a look (not a glare - just difficult to ignore) from me if I was in the vicinity. I find girls are the worst culprits for it though. 

I did want to comment about the little girl who cries "unnecessarily". She may have sensory processing issues, where she had difficulty taking in and integrating sensory information from everything around her. She may be extremely sensitive and crying may be an outlet for her. Or maybe there are other issues. It's hard to tell from your post whether this is the case, but if so, she deserves a little sympathy. At least as much as your ds who needs "to get some sillies out" at the end of the day. Different kids, different issues, different needs, yk? smile.gif  

that is what i thought initially, too. and was sympathetic , until i saw her with two kids she spends most time with-they were all being loud, no sensitivities there. it's the kind of dynamic that you observe going on for some time. reactionary and excluding to certain kids she does not like. incidentally, i am wondering about sensitivities (of a different nature) in my own child. but, that is another thread.

high-pitched screams grate, i agree. his is more like 'excited boy being loud' kind of noise. and never in anyone's ear.

i try to keep the volume down, but after a day of 'remember your indoor voice' and (montessori) 'silence games' he is not always compliant.

#6 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Completely normal!  All of mine do that, even my 6 yr old. 

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page