My extremely hyper child! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-24-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI there,

My almost 5 yr old is extremely hyper......I have given up trying to calm him down. We spend a lot of time walking, bike riding, parks, soccer, jumping on the trampoline etc. I think I have exhausted him and an hour later he is literally bouncy off the walls again. My desperate question is, what can I do with him in the house? When I am tired or his sister is sleeping or the weather is crappy I need him to blow off steam indoors. I want to know if anyone has some good toys, games, or activities that can help my ds use up his energy. TIA!

#2 of 4 Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 AM

My brother was like this.  But, he was also determined.  So, if he had something to do, even if it was hard, he'd keep doing it.  We had a full basement with a linoleum floor.    We had millions of hotwheels and miles of hotwheel track.  We both spent an hour or so putting all the track together.  But, it had to go down the stairs, and turn at the bottom, because simply setting it up on a flat floor was lame.  So, he would engineer the track to turn at the bottom without any of the cars flying off the track.  I'd get tired and give up, but he'd keep working on it until late into the night.  It kept his mind and body busy.

He also had a mini bike when he was about eight or nine.  He took it apart all winter long and put it back together until spring when he could ride it.  (we lived in Downtown St Louis, so I have no idea what my mom was thinking sending him out there on a mini bike)

Our basement was probably the only thing that kept my mom sane.  We spent most of our time down there riding skateboards, playing ball, and doing other long term projects.  My brother needed something huge to put together all the time.  I was more quiet and preferred to organize pennies and marbles, and small animals.  

In the winter he was sent out to shovel snow.  He could do whatever he wanted to with the snow, as long as he got it off the driveway...so, then he'd build huge buildings and sculptures with the snow that he shoveled.  (you'd have to watch him from the door to make sure he wasn't hurting himself, or wandering off)

#3 of 4 Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

seriously empty your house of big necessary things and keep as much empty space as you can about so he has a path to run around on. what kind of couch do you have? safe to jump on and off?

are all his needs getting met? his need for intellectual stimulation as well as social? it isnt just about the physical but every aspect of his life. 

we did indoor soft (are those called nerf?) balls and boomerangs. 

also a big thing was giving dd big chores to do. which means vaccuming, laundry. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 4 Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 AM

I have two boys, one who is amazingly active and one who is more typical (in my opinion). We build forts, play with balls and my boys are allowed to jump on and off our couch. If they start getting crazy I give them an obstacle course (run up the stairs three times, do ten donkey kicks and 10 jumping jacks etc...) and then we sit down and read. We do yoga together and that can be hilarious. They also like to do crafts and other fine motor activities. I have lots of craft supplies available to them at all times. Magnets have been big around here. They wil sit and build with magnets for hours at the table. Right now they are reallyinto building castles with their blocks and setting up battles with all their army guys, dinosaurs, action figures etc... I change out their toys on a somewhat regular basis so their is always something "new" to play with. That can be especially effective when we are couped up inside. Before my oldest started school, we needed to get out of the house at least two or three days a week for playdates, trips to the zoo or museum or sometimes just to the grocery store. Most of the time it works out okay, but some days they can really drive me bonkers.

Proud Mommy to my amazing boys (6 and 4) and my precious little girl (18 months).

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page