overly emotional 4YO girl - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD has become super-emotional in the past 2 weeks or so. She insists that nothing is wrong, and she's not really one to keep any thought that crosses her mind to herself. Big, plopping tears start to roll down her face and her little lip quivers at the slightest hint of anything being wrong. DH told her that she needed to sit on her bottom at dinner so she didn't fall, and she started crying. She told me that a boy at preschool licks his desk (no idea on that one...) and started crying about it. I'm not sure what may be going on with her. Ideas? 

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

That's interesting.  My DD can work herself up about things sometimes too.  Sometimes things that are actually sad, and others, that are more like "oh darn." kind of situations.  I don't know what sets her off though when it does.  I will be interested to see what others have to say.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping it's a normal development stage, but I've searched and haven't found much about it. We have had a lot of upheaval in our lives in the past 9 months, and maybe it's just a need for stability. I've tried very hard to make sure that her life is as normal as possible, though, so I'm not sure what to do.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#4 of 6 Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post

I'm hoping it's a normal development stage, but I've searched and haven't found much about it.

Dd was like this...still is a bit and she's in K; the first day of school the teacher made a minor correction to her behavior and she cried (her teacher said it wasn't unusual), and recently a a boy in class called her a crybaby.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 6 Old 10-28-2011, 01:13 PM

DD was like that at 4. And 5. She's beginning to be more stoic at 6. I'm sure it's personality X age.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#6 of 6 Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I call it the first stage puberty. is she getting near her bday? growth spurt? does her growth spurt usually happen near her bday? does she have different times when she has her physical growth spurt? and emotional, psychological growth spurt?

it will get v. intense and more emotional. its a v. typical stage - more intense in of course v. intense kids. 

dd went through that phase. i too didnt find any info anywhere except from my friends and their teenage kids who remember. it is their first really intense emotional phase where nothing you do is right and they just collapse into the worst behaviour ever. 

very typical and age appropriate. you will see another peak around 7 - 8 when they reach the conscience development stage. 

just be there for her mama. be as empathetic and compassionate as you can. the teens have told me it was even worse than their teenage years. my dd would tell me 'mama its like someone else takes control over me. i dont want to do it, i know i shouldnt do it, but i cant stop myself.' 

why i call it first stages of puberty coz her behaviour was just like when i was PMSing. it is the the extremes. VERY happy or way down sad. 

once she is over the phase - be prepared - its a huge shock. her behaviour will change so drastically yet subtlely. that level of sudden maturity is just mind blowing. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page