Safe, semi-healthy play make-up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I don't wear make-up, ever, but my MIL has been threatening to make-over dd, now I'm not against my dd wearing make-up, but I suspect that MIL will end up getting your classic made in China play  make-up set, does anyone know a healthy version... sorry clueless about make-up..... :(

#2 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM

I'd be inclined to make my own set (it's actually pretty easy). You can reuse empty makeup containers and fill them with your own nontoxic stuff. I've yet to find any play makeup sets on the market that I'd be comfortable with. 

For eye shadow, you need a mortar & pestle, colored mica, jojoba oil, and a container to put it in. You basically just mix and grind the colored mica until you get the shade you want, add a few drops of jojoba, grind until it's well distributed, and then press it into a container. You should be able to do blush the same way.

I make lip balm from melting beeswax and mixing with coconut oil, then piping it into a lip balm pot. You can use mica to color it. 

And here's a neat, mess free alternative that would be pretty easy:

http://playinghouseinmaryland.blogspot.com/2011/03/momma-mademake-up-tutorial-giveaway.html

#3 of 6 Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

even though i was not into makeup at all - put it on v. v. rarely just for myself till dd was 5 she was very into makeup.

i didnt see the point in children's make up.

i passed on some of mine and bought good quality adult makeup. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm with you - the kids makeup grosses me out. 

DD is still just in "play" phase (too young to wear everyday) but I have gotten her a few things from Aveda and Burt's Bees.  Whole Foods has skincare and makeup lines, including water-based nail polish.  (Warning - it doesn't last long and comes off in the bath tub.)  We also have a local health food store that carries skincare and makeup products.  I did find some "chemical free" polishes at Ulta.  It's more expensive than Barbie play makeup, but I feel better about it. 

I love the idea of making the "play" makeup kits but DD wants to see the sparkles on her face!

#5 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd suggest nailpolish from Piggy Paint and lip gloss from Burts Bees.

And depending on age, made the makeup/face pencils from Lyra. Made in Germany under EU supervision and the only ones I'd buy for my own kids. Basic and "sparkle"

I'd also try and smelly natural lotions.

(Ahem, and you need ammunition http://visitindigo.com/2010/10/is-your-face-paint-kid-safe-this-halloween/ )

#6 of 6 Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Pure Poppet!  It is 100% natural and totally fun.  It is available at www.FamilyBedrock.com for North America.  They have mineral powders, lip balms, makeup crayons, etc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page