What does your 5 year old boy play with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious and looking for some ideas for Christmas this year. We are fairly natural-minded and our son is in a Waldorf Kindergarten. He does have some plastic toys such as legos (small set that he just got for his birthday in Sept). We have a wonderful assortment of wooden toys- kitchen, farm etc and also lots of thomas the train and tracks. Also lots of cars and trucks, animals, bugs etc (loves spiders!) His grandparents got him some pepo knights for his birthday.

He is really showing a lot of interest in knights/pirates lately, but I am not to sure if he is still too young for a large wooden castle or the like? He also has become really into drawing lately.

He has a 2 year old younger sister so between the two of them they play creatively with a wide variety of toys.

Anyway, just interested to hear from others!

Thanks,
Abby

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#2 of 15 Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 PM

My 4.5yo is really into guns and cowboys.  He also likes to race his cars on tracks.  I don't want to get the motorized stuff, but I did buy him a package of hotwheels extension tracks.  He doesn't know that's all they are.  He loves to put them together and find something high to wedge it in and race his cars down it.  He'll play that for an hour or more.  He also likes our indoor hammock swing a lot, and lincoln logs. 

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#3 of 15 Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM

More Legos! My son was 5 when he started really getting into them. They were his go-to toys, and much as I would have loved him to play with the nifty wooden treehouse we had, really, he loved building stuff with those Legos. I recommend the City sets.
#4 of 15 Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM

my 4 year old is way into legos, he still has duplos though. he loves knights and pirates. im wanting to upgrade his little dollhouse to a castle, but lack the funds, lol. he loves trains and cars, and also super heroes, and is really into the good guy vs. bad guy stuff. he also still enjoys his kitchen. oh, loves dress up, but it is so hard to find dress ups for boys.

eta- we have lincoln logs too, he got them for christmas when he was 2 (october b-day) that reminds me, we need an extension/accessory pack for those too

edited cuz i cant spell tonight

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#5 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 AM

Definitely more Legos.  The more you have the more fun it is (not that you need millions, but up to a certain amount can be limiting in what you can make).

A HUGE hit in our house (with both 4yo ds and 7yo dd) is Playmobil.  My ds is also really into knights and pirates.  The Playmobil stuff is fantastic.  So much detail and so many accessories.  Playmobil is plastic, but not cheap-made-in-China plastic.  I have a feeling your ds would go nuts for the Playmobil pirate ship, or one of the castles/knight sets.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#6 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM

My 5 year old's favorite toys are his dad's old He-Man action figures.  Luckily mil kept them all.

He does like Legos, but gets frustrated with them.  Same with Lincoln Logs.  He still likes little animal figures alot (and usually talks me into making him a zoo with the Lincoln Logs and Legos).  He's always got a notebook and a pen or some colored pencils so he can draw constantly.  And anything Harry Potter. 

#7 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 AM

Aeromax has some great, high quality, dress up clothes.  We have their fireman and astronaut suits.  Ds wears his fire stuff all the time, and it's held up really well.  (I can't say the same for the western chief fire boots, though, ftr).

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#8 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Have you considered Playmobil? They are about the same price-point as legos.  There are some wonderful pirates and knights sets, from 10 -100 dollars. http://store.playmobilusa.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-US-Site/en_US/Search-Show?cgid=Ritter

I also always recommend MagnaTiles as a very fun building toy.

http://www.magnatiles.com/

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#9 of 15 Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM

In addition to the things already mentioned here, my 5 year old loves our Quercetti marble run.  We also have a set of duplo-like marble run pieces called "block and roll", which, while hard to get together and apart, he fines quite fun. 

He loves mazes, and I've found lots of maze-only workbooks at Barnes and Noble (hard to find at non-book stores.)

He is interested in reading right now, and loves the Montessori moveable alphabet with a few extension projects.  They also have something called the binomial and trinomial cubes which are spatial puzzles which he was fanatic about for a while.  They are about 20 and 30 dollars online, and I love playing with them too!

One of the big toys in our house is always the "sensory tub" which I create in the manner of the gal who runs the Montessori-inspired "Counting Coconuts" blog.  The candy box (all "pretend" candy with various boxes and bags to fill) was  a HUGE hit.  So too was the robot box-- tons of left over metal pieces from my husband's shop and small goodwill finds that can supplement playdoh to make robots.

Lastly, both my 5 and 3 year olds love their play kitchen.  It isn't always clear that they are using it in a way that one would expect.  For instance, they think it is really funny to microwave unexpected things-- but they do play with it a lot.

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#10 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 06:00 AM

My 5 yo loves his Brio Builder. He;s always constructing things with it. Vehicles, machines of all types, cameras, traps for dinosaurs and guns. He also plays with his wooden brio railway and with his Playmobil, although he tends to use that mostly in the bath  - submarine and boat. He has a small fort, but doesn't really play with it much. He doesn't really use his Legos, but still uses his wooden blocks as pretend trees, or construction material for use with the vehicles he's made. After seeing the Octonauts when visiting family, he really wants an Octonaut toy. He also enjoys dress-up - playing doctor, fireman or astronaut. He enjoys doing jigsaw puzzles  and has just started to get into colouring books.

#11 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 AM

My 5 yo is really into his jumprope and hula hoop lately.  I can even do it with him for a little excercise (the jumprope anyway) and I practice with the hula hoop.  He gets such a kick out of it.

Wife to LoverMan (2/3/07), mama to Lucenzo bikenew.gif(5/28/06) unnecessarean, and Maxamus baby.gif (5/3/11) vbac.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.giffamilybed1.gifbfinfant.gif

#12 of 15 Old 11-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Having typed up a long response to this thread yesterday, I thought you might like to know that my boys spent ALL of yesterday afternoon playing with two rolls of duct tape (rolling them down a homemade ramp and spinning them.)

Cheers to the non-toy!

Bearsmom likes this.

#13 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Coming back to add that we have 8 of the Automoblox minis, and these are GREAT fun.  I think they are well made, and the boys love building new creations.  I think spending money on lots of little ones rather than a few big ones makes more sense because of all the mix and match possibilities.

#14 of 15 Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our son is almost 4.5 and plays pirates and knights er, pretty much all the time. He divides his time between a lego duplo castle set (retired but on ebay all the time, genius, very easy to build and rebuild and more age appropriate than regular lego), a wooden castle, with a mixture of playmobil pirates and knights and some dollhouse figures. He also likes dress up with a hook from Palumba, soft sword from Sarah's Silks,  and some more generic pirate clothes. But the love of his life is (cough) the fleet of playmobil pirate ships.

He is also (again) interested in puzzles and building ball tracks. We have from Selecta (retired) that is at his skill level and he is building towards the Haba one.

He will sometimes play house with his younger sister but has never been interested in housekeeping play or dolls.

I really dislike plastic toys and keep it to a minimum but the exception are lego (although mostly duplo) and playmobil. Both are well made, made in the EU, and have fabulous play value. But, heh, I keep it in balance.

He also loves to draw so I keep us well stocked with good quality colored pencils and paper.

#15 of 15 Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM

DS is a bit past 4.5 and he's quite obsessed with small robots (well all, but those we can afford more).  He's got a collection of hexbugs, skitterbot, and lots of zibits.  It's been almost a year of obsession now.  He also likes to build things with his blocks (including tracks/running space/performing/playground space for robots) and loves marble runs.  We  have two types and he loves a third type that his friend has.

Not at all into guns, knights, pirates, etc.  Not even that into legos, but a little.  Interesting that other boys have such commonality in that.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page