4.5 yr old pooping in diaper every night - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS has been out of diapers and without any accidents during the day for 18 months, but he still wears a diaper at night.  While I was pg with his sister (15 months today) she started pooping in his night diaper after we put him to bed and either we didn't catch it and he had a very sore bottom in the am or we caught it and changed him when we came to bed.  I feel like maybe he started the pooping every night after we put him to bed as a result of stress from me being pg, but I'm not sure.  Late in my pg with DD and around the time he got out of daytime diapers, we switched him to primarily sposies for night time because I just couldn't take cleaning off the stinky preschooler poop at night any more.

The diaper we change him into after his poopy one is usually dry in the morning so he's staying dry for most of the night.  We're feeling like he's not going to outgrow this lovely poop at night habit and are a bit at a loss for what to do next.  We bed share with him and DD so are scared of a huge mess at night.   But, we think this needs to end.  I think he's close to being about to stay dry all night.

For the record, he poops on the potty during the day just fine and has even just started wiping himself.  So, he's not afraid of the potty or anything like that.  I'm not sure what the motivation is but he IS continent and we're done.  We and my parents have talked to him about it A LOT and he doesn't want to stop.  He says he's "potty trained during the day but just turns it off at night".  Arrrgh.

Any one else go through something similar or have any suggestions?  

I feel like I just want to put him in underwear but I'm scared of what will happen and the mess and waking the sister, etc.  How do we prepare the bed to address these fears?

Ack!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#2 of 5 Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM

If you're sure this is something he could control I might try some bribery. A special candy in the morning if he didn't poop or a sticker working up to a big treat. My ds was doing the same thing in the mornings for ever and I sympathize. It's gross. Sounds like he needs motivation to change his habit as its working fine for him. Also, you might need to take him to the toilet at night as he'll still need to go. Good luck! 

#3 of 5 Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

no one else in this situation?  Ack!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#4 of 5 Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM

I want to say my DD1 did that around that age a couple times at night. Can't remember what I did to change it if anything. Only suggestion I'd say is to move dinner and/or bedtime snack to earlier?? Wake him before you go to bed or set the alarm to have him go potty after 11pm or the like to give him a chance to poop on the potty??

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#5 of 5 Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply treehugginhippie.  Well, it's not a matter of needing to wake him.  We do goodnight routine and then leave and he goes to sleep on his own.  On the nights he poops, I think he's doing it right before he falls asleep.  And, he often poops after dinner, right before bed, and then poops again in bed.  I guess perhaps there isn't a solution other than to just put him in underwear, cross our fingers and hope he chooses NOT to poop in his underwear because otherwise it's going to be a huge mess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page