Games/board games 6.5year old-suggestions needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We love Qwirkle, Jenga, Uno, Monopoly Jr and Blink.

I NEED some ideas for other games for Christmas presents for my 6.5year old. -something the adults like too since I have an only child and I'm the one usually playing the game:)

THANKS!

#2 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Set is a good game for kids to play with adults, because it's actually fun for adults.  You win by skill, not luck, but it isn't guaranteed that the adult will be better at it.  It didn't take much practice at all before my DD could beat her dad.  I can still usually beat her, but not always, and not by much anymore.

Some other ideas:

Yahtzee

Labyrinth

Connect 4

Gobblet

Othello

#3 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 02:40 PM

scattergories
blokus
cranium hulabaloo they can play alone. It's electronic, but fun
apples to apples, but that is best with 4 or more people
I just ordered bannagrams
My dd and I enjoy Chickyboom

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#4 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 03:33 PM

Spot It (card game that's fast and fun)

Sorry!

are my favorites to play with my kiddos. (Besides some of the above!).

-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#5 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Chess

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#6 of 11 Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Sleeping Queens.  I have never met a kid who didn't love this game.  The rules are quite simple, but it's a surprisingly fun play - even for adults.

Carcassonne.  This is actually an "adult" game, but absolutely and completely doable for a 6.5 yo (my ds was able to play at 3.5 with some help, and my dd has been playing without help since 5.5)  This game seriously ROCKS.  And there are tons of expansions you can add over the years if you fall in love with it.

Bohnanza.  This game is tons of fun, but better with 3+ players.  It's about half competitive and half cooperative.

King Arthur.  Fun for older kids (definitely fine for a 6.5yo) and adults.  You have to collect cards to buy other cards... to buy other cards!  The play is pretty fast.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#7 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 AM

My six-year-old nephew really enjoys doing puzzles and it's fun for an adult to help. Ravensburger is a great brand and I often find them at thrift and kids' consignment stores.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#8 of 11 Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 AM

I have a 7 yo DS and our favorites are:

Yahtzee

Battleship

Trouble

Monopoly

The Allowance Game

Secret Door

Hide & Seek Sock Monkey

Star Wars Stratego

#9 of 11 Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 AM

We play games every night with our 6 yo only, and the favorites here are: Sequence Jr. (LOVE this!!), Sorry, Uno.  Busytown was popular for awhile as well.

#10 of 11 Old 12-02-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post

Sleeping Queens.  I have never met a kid who didn't love this game.  The rules are quite simple, but it's a surprisingly fun play - even for adults.

Carcassonne.  This is actually an "adult" game, but absolutely and completely doable for a 6.5 yo (my ds was able to play at 3.5 with some help, and my dd has been playing without help since 5.5)  This game seriously ROCKS.  And there are tons of expansions you can add over the years if you fall in love with it.

Bohnanza.  This game is tons of fun, but better with 3+ players.  It's about half competitive and half cooperative.

King Arthur.  Fun for older kids (definitely fine for a 6.5yo) and adults.  You have to collect cards to buy other cards... to buy other cards!  The play is pretty fast.

These are great suggestions!  My 6.5-year-old LOVES all kinds of games.  Sleeping Queens was a favorite for a while, and it led us to explore a lot of other Gamewright games, and we've loved them all.  We've played Moose in the House, Pounce, Snap and Loot.  This year, my kids are getting Feed the Kitty and Match of the Penguins for Christmas, which I chose in hopes that my 2-year-old might be able to play along, at least to some degree.  If you go on the Gamewright website, the games are organized by age, and if you click on the title, it gives a description of the game.  

We also like Carcassonne.  Another "adult" game that I find kids are very capable of playing is Ticket to Ride. 

#11 of 11 Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 AM

Mancala

Scrabble

Rush Hour Jr.

For Christmas I'll be giving my DS a Bingo set (I know he'll enjoy turning the cage), and I just found a Tetris boardgame (the computer game's too hard for him).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page