6.5 year old boy and Christmas ideas needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kiddo doesn't really have any major wishes for Christmas which is great but I'm feeling rather stuck. We are not really a Toys r Us type family-

Any great suggestions? He's over legos and playmobile. more into rockets, robots, space, board games and he loves dogs.

What are you giving your 6.5 year old??

#2 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 04:44 PM

Does he have any interest in, or need for, a new bike, scooter, etc?  Or something wintery like a pair of skates, cool sled, etc?

What about a membership to the science museum (if you have one where you live).

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 06:15 PM

Stomp rockets were big hit around here at that age.

What about sports or outdoor equipment? Rollerblades, scooters, baseball gloves, nerf football/basketball, stilts

There are a few science kits that he could do that would be fun. Make sure they're age appropriate though, as some of them really are geared at older kids, and it's not much fun if they can't do them themselves.

Board games are a good choice: My son liked :Cranium Cadoo, Sorry, Monopoly Jr., and some of the Family Pastime games (sorry can't remember which). It's a good age to introduce checkers or chess if he might be interested. (Our son wasn't.)

Would he be interested in a marble run?

Kids this age often like 'projects' they can do  -- building a bird house, painting a plate, weaving, etc.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#4 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 05:05 AM

Maybe Hexbugs would work for your DS?  Or a build-your-own soda can bug kit?  It "walks" by vibrating, and can be a little loud.

My 6.5yo DS isn't yet over his Lego fixation, so he'll be getting more of those this Christmas, as well as a Sid the Science Kid DVD, a book, at least one game (probably Bingo, but maybe Chutes and Ladders), a Nerf-style foam dart gun w/ target/dart board, a clearanced Wii game, a slinky, and a sled (unless we get lots of snow before Xmas, and then we'll give it to him early).

Board games we already have that DS enjoys:  Battleship, Sorry Sliders, Monopoly, Rush Hour Jr, Yahtzee!, Chess, Mancala

#5 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Mine wants Pokemon stuff.  He is getting a Ripstick for Easter since we won't spend much of winter outside-too cold and rainy.  Other than that he wants video games.  I may get him a few harder jigsw puzzles and some more art supplies.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#6 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Science kits?  R/C vehicles?  We liked KidGalaxy brand "Morphibians" because they could drive through puddles.  Tons of fun.  My son loved things like marble runs, too.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My 7 year old has just started reading some of the horrible history books. There is a horrible science series too. I haven't read any of them but they could be worth a look.

#8 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm giving my just-turned 7 y.o. nephew a set of Snap Circuits.

The manufacturer recommends them for ages 8 and up, but he likes science kits and automated stuff. I figure his parents can help him at first to build some of the projects and as he plays with it, he may become more interested in learning the electronics. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page