Mothering Forum banner

Playsilks

790 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mizzoh 
#1 ·
My 18 month old is really into cloth - she keeps raiding my dustcloth drawer and my dishtowel drawer. It occurs to me that some playsilks would be very appropriate for her (not to mention not bulky, not plastic etc) as a christmas gift. I was looking on etsy but it is hard to gague quality. Where can I get some good quality playsilks for her? Her 5 year old sister will probably want to share in the fun so I would get a few.

#2 ·
You could also try cross-posting or searching the Waldorf subforum in Learning at School. There are a few threads about good retail sources. If you post there, I suspect you'll get at least one suggestion to buy some silks from Dharma Trading and dye them yourself so you get the colours you like. It might be a fun project for the 5 y.o.

#3 ·
We've dyed silks (using food dye) from Dharma and they have been such a great hit that I am doing another set this xmas in the 30 x 30 size (the last lot were smaller). Everything you've heard about how great they are is true.

#5 ·
Our DD got some for Christmas from my MIL when she was about 2 and they are still being well used several years later. MIL got them from Sarah's Silks. They are a little pricey but have lasted really well through tons of use. They have been capes, gowns, slings, dance silks, baby doll wraps, you name it.

#8 ·
I second all the pps - I made a set of 6 for DD at her 1st bday - all different sizes and shapes bought from dharma trading (habotai scarves 8mm), and used either koolaid or some other simple dye I bought from dharma. cheap and fun!

for different sizes, I just wanted to give her options of things to do with them.... one is long and thin, a couple are small or medium squares, a couple are larger squares. they list the dimensions.

the idye packets from dharma are great colors and easy to use. they are huge packets however and you'll have lots leftover. i happened to have some because I dyed silk veils for myself. otherwise I used koolaid for the orange, red, blue and yellow. (can't ever find green koolaid anymore!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.