How bad is it...? Be honest... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD who is 4 has a preschool concert tonight...and I don't want to go. I asked her if she wanted to go and she didn't really seem to care. Is it bad if we skip it? I've got a slight cold, she has a slight cold. They scheduled it so the younger 3's are first/earlier, so when we get there, they wont have any parking left and we will have to park 2-3 blocks away. It doesn't start until 730(we're usually starting bedtime at 7...) DD also hates dressing up (probably gets that from dh and I, we hate dressing up too.) I figure I can get away with it because she is still so young.... I would never skip it if she were older. 

So how bad of a mom will I be if we just skip it? 

#2 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM

TBH I would probably make the effort to go.  I'm sure the teacher(s) put a lot of effort into getting the kids ready for the concert and I wouldn't want to let them down.  Just imagine if half the kids didn't show up! 

I also think the etiquette would be to go for the entire concert (ie. be there from the start to see the younger kids as well as the 4yos).  With kids that little they're probably only doing a short performance with each age group.

Since you are feeling sick maybe dh could take her and you could stay home and rest?

I wouldn't worry about having her dress up if she doesn't want to.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#3 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If you start getting your kids ready for bed at 7 pm... and the concert is at 7:30, that is reason enough not to go.  DD1 and DD2 can't stay up long enough for half the stuff they do at their school.  Guess what?  You are not required to ensure everyones feelings are not hurt as in the preschool teacher that spent time teaching the kids songs and what not.  She would have done it anyway with or without your kid there.  A school production is not more important than family time and bed time when they're little. 

You wouldn't be a bad mom, you'd be a mom who knows what is best for her family.

#4 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post

TBH I would probably make the effort to go.  I'm sure the teacher(s) put a lot of effort into getting the kids ready for the concert and I wouldn't want to let them down.  Just imagine if half the kids didn't show up! 

I also think the etiquette would be to go for the entire concert (ie. be there from the start to see the younger kids as well as the 4yos).  With kids that little they're probably only doing a short performance with each age group.

Since you are feeling sick maybe dh could take her and you could stay home and rest?

I wouldn't worry about having her dress up if she doesn't want to.

The younger kids are another performance. The parents for that group are told to be there at X time and the show is at X time. We were given diff times.  I agree that etiquette wise it would be rude to only show up for dd, but it's technically two shows. Hope that makes sense.

#5 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 12:40 PM

The school scheduled the performance after the bedtime of their performers and on what is likely a school night as well shrug.gif; having a cold is another reason to stay home and rest.

My 5yo dd needs at least 11hrs. of sleep a night; ds needs at least 9, preferably 10, or he starts to have behavior issues. In addition, dh works and is in school and I'm in school; we can't go to every school event, particularly if it interferes with bedtime (though our school is K-12 so there are a lot of events). Though if it is something that requires advanced notice whether or not we're attending we're sure to give it.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Um...skip it!! Not going will make you and excellent mom, IMHO :)

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#7 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 PM

I'd skip it. If she were older, or cared, I'd go. Enjoy getting out of this stuff while you can...

If you feel bad, call the school and let them know you're under the weather and will not be able to attend.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#8 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM

I find it kind of weird that they would schedule something that late for 4 year olds. At our preschool, any evening meetings with children start at 5:30 or 6, because parents complain that they start bedtime routines at 7 and need to get home.

I think skipping it is fine, considering you have a child who is sick and doesn't need a late bedtime and overexcitement in the evening to get over her cold!
#9 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

once you skip it - write a letter to the director for the time factor alone (it's not good for a 4 year old! as the other said and you want them rested for the class next day or not?--ask that in your letter)- weekend totally different

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#10 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

once you skip it - write a letter to the director for the time factor alone (it's not good for a 4 year old! as the other said and you want them rested for the class next day or not?--ask that in your letter)- weekend totally different

I'm so glad others think that time is crazy. If it were a Friday I could maybe understand. The day after is PJ day for the kids and they get to watch a movie (they NEVER watch tv so it's a big "treat") so it's nice they at least think to do that. I would write a letter, but after this year we are out of here, so I want to save my complaints for other issues/reasons.

So glad you guys made me feel ok skipping it. I figure since she's still young and a bit clueless about these things that I should enjoy that while I can.

#11 of 11 Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

saying the time is not reasonable is really not a complaint per-say - more a fact and they should know this does not agree with a small child who you want rested for the next day-personally I would let them know so they know others do care about getting their child to bed at a regular time on a school night, at least mention it if some one asks you why you didn't show

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page