What age did you stop putting lotion on your baby/child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 8, and I still put body lotion on him after his showers and baths. I've always moisturized my entire body daily since I was really young and I consider it to be an important part of hygiene. I've been doing it since he was a baby to keep his skin healthy and I've kept doing it ever since. He has swimming lessons 3x a week so after swimming lessons I lather him in body lotion as well to prevent dryness and to keep his skin moisturized.

If you used lotion on your child, when did you stop or if you still do use it on them how old are they? Should I stop doing it myself soon or is it fine? (of course now he's a little older he has shorts or boxers on while I do it, its just part of the routine and comes naturally. I see other moms in the family changing rooms at the pool putting it on their kids who are around the same age as mine, so I just decided to ask.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 AM

My DS is 6, and I still put lotion on him after his weekly bath to prevent dry skin (which gets itchy).  I do the same for myself.  Not a big deal to us.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM

I've never put lotion on my kids unless they're especially dry.  If they were in the pool 3x a week I probably would though, since it's so drying to the skin.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i never put lotion on my kids, sometimes they use a little coconut oil.

mama to one '07 and one '09
Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We live in the high desert and swim very regularly so we do go through a lot of lotion. I put it on my 5y at least once a day because her skin cracks constantly. My almost 9 year is good about putting it on her hands but will still ask me to put it on her feet and legs even though she can, she prefers me to. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:47 PM

I only put lotion on my kids when they seem extra dry and/or itchy.  I don't see it as a hygiene issue whatsoever.  

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

now that dd is 9 i leave it upto her. she can do it. not me. we use home made coconut oil based lotion. so i think its really healthy. 

i keep on eye on her if her skin looks white i tell her to put it on. 

in summer when she swims everyday i insist on her putting on lotion and she herself does it except where she cant reach. 

but in winter i only do it when she has dry skin.

many times she and i bathe together and she has been in hot springs naked and surrounded by lots of naked people so nudity is not an shocking reason for us. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM

My kids are dry dry dry.  They're only about 2 and 4, so I still put it on them.  I've had ashy skin all of my life (dark complexion! grr!) and my mother (who was Caucasian and never ashy a day in her life) never did it for me- so I've been putting my own lotion on since preschool.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Tags
Child
User Tag List