What time does your 5 yo go to bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

What time does ur 5 yo go to bed, wake up and what time he/she starts school? Just want to get a perspective of how much sleep they are getting. Dd is more often tired than rested. I have moved her sleep time about 2 hrs since before-school days.

Thanks.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My just turned 7 yr old is asleep by 7:30 and up by 6:45.  She wakes up nicely and ready to go.  My 9 yr old... same bed time but I think she actually needs more sleep.  Either she's not a morning person or she's really that tired. 

#3 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bed at 7 , lights out at 7:30. Wake at 6:45 to 7 am.

For my 6 yr olds it is perfect. They are wide awake at 6:45 and sleepy at bedtime.

The bus picks them up at 8:00 and school starts at 8:15.

#4 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 AM

My 5 year old is in bed by 7:30 or 8, depending on how he's doing.  He's up at 6:30.

#5 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Brush teeth is at 7:30.  DD2 (5yo) usually drops off shortly after 8:00, dd1 (6.75yo) shortly after.  When they wake up largely depends on the time of year.  Solstice times at our latitude can get disorienting, and they wake up earlier not knowing what time it is.  That's what's happening now, and they are waking up around 6:00 when usually they wake up around 7:00.  When the time changed to ST, I adjusted their bedtime back 30 minutes and that made a big difference once they adjusted to the time (very long adjustment because we homeschool and are self-employed.  No one to kick our asses to get on schedule!)

I think dd2 could use more sleep, but she usually gets up when we all do (family bed's not always best for all things!).  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#6 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 10:33 AM

My 5 yo is in bed and about 8pm and usually asleep by 8.30pm if not before. He starts school at 9am and it doesn't finish until 4.30pm. We eat ridiculously early by Spanish standards, aiming to have dinner on the table by 7.15pm. Kids in his class go to bed an hour or more later.

#7 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM

DD is 5 and in K. We leave the house at 8:55 for school in the morning. Lights out usually around 8, asleep usually by 8:30. Wake-up by 7 (on her own).

DS is 8 and in 2nd. He usually doesn't fall asleep til almost 10 and is up at 7.

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#8 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 03:04 PM

My DS has always been a high needs sleeper.  Since he was 4.5 we have left for school at about 6:30 so that means waking up around 5:45 or 6.

On a good night we get to bed at 6:30...this is JUST enough sleep.

On a not so good day (with homework that is a must do or just a hard time winding down) closer to 8 or even NINE!  Those are awful mornings the next day.

He has been sleeping twelve hours a night on average since he was about 6 months old, when he dropped naps at 20 months to about the age of 4 he regularly slept 14+ hours a night.

This has been a HUGE adjustment for him and he still isn't used to it...on weekends and holidays he goes back to a regular 12-13 hours a night.

My son, the teenager (some would say a stoned teenager lol.gif) trapped in a little boy's body.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#9 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskingred View Post

My 5 yo is in bed and about 8pm and usually asleep by 8.30pm if not before. He starts school at 9am and it doesn't finish until 4.30pm. We eat ridiculously early by Spanish standards, aiming to have dinner on the table by 7.15pm. Kids in his class go to bed an hour or more later.

We had the same problem in Argentina...DS preschool classmates were usually up until 11 or later and dinner was rarely if ever before 9pm!  It was hard for him to be the only kid who was bathed, fed and in bed by 8.

I could never get used to it.  We were there over four years and it always felt weird.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#10 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

at 5 dd's K started at 10:30 am. afternoon K.

that was the last year she went to bed at midnight. from birth to 6 she went to bed at midnight. she got up at 9 am and that gave us enough time to get to school by 10:30.

but then my child has always needed less sleep. as a newborn she was awake more than asleep.

all those years i never had to wake her up. ever. she woke up on her own. 

then first grade switched to 8 am. i tried sending her to bed by 8 so she'd have an hour in there to read or do whatever she wanted. she invariably went to sleep at 10. she is up around 6:15 am so she is not rushed in the morning. she is not the kind to get out of the bed running. she spends half her time taking her sweet time to do all her stuff. 

she is the kind where if she got a rare 12 hour night and i woke her up late and she HAD to hit the ground running, she would be tired and grumpy. but instead if she had just 7 hours of sleep and i woke her up extra early and she had a lot of time to dilly dally in the morning she was much better rested and in a much better mood to go to school. 

i can relate to dd. because we both need our down time to do our own thing. we both will grab our downtime at the cost of sleep. for instance dd has grown up reading in bed. by the time she started reading it because her sleeping pill. she cannot come home late and just go straight to bed at 11. she still has to read a few pages. she has always been like this no matter what age. 

if i take her reading away from her coz its too late, she cant. sleep. at. all... it will take her a loooong time to fall asleep.

downtime + sleep = a well rested child

no downtime + more sleep = grumpy tired child

downtime + less sleep = a well rested child

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#11 of 25 Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM

My 5yo is in bed by 8, wakes around 7-7:30, on the bus at 8:35 and school is from 9-4.

#12 of 25 Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. So, last night after reading the posts (didn't have time to reply as had to rush dd to bed) we were in bed at about 7.15 to read to get ready. I estimated 11 hrs and I was right. My aim was lights out before 8 and asleep by 8. Really, more than dd I was tired enough to be sleeping by 8 and I did - continue to sleep (we co-cosleep) and we both woke up sooo rested. I think I have her time for bed - - 8-8.15 to be up by 7.15-7.30 because she needs some time to play and to get out of bed. We were both awake before the alarm which goes off just before 7.15. And usually we both aren't. Now, I am wondering what I am going to do about my dishes and other unfinished stuff in the kitchen because when I hit the bed with her I don't want to get up again. ;)

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#13 of 25 Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Neera, I bet you won't need to go to bed that early every night.  You're probably running on a sleep deficit so your body could use a few long nights of sleep to catch up, but then you'll probably be ok with fewer hours.  (That's what happened to me at a certain point after ds finally started STN).

To answer your original question: when dd was in K she went to bed at 8 and woke up at 7.  Every once in a while she needed a 7pm bedtime just to get a little extra sleep (maybe once every two weeks).  Now she's 7 and in grade 2 and we have the same schedule, but she lies awake reading for about an hour before falling asleep (she sleeps from 9ish to 7).  Her 4yo brother falls asleep pretty much right at 8 and sometimes wakes up with her at 7, and sometimes needs to sleep till closer to 8.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#14 of 25 Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Now, I am wondering what I am going to do about my dishes and other unfinished stuff in the kitchen because when I hit the bed with her I don't want to get up again. ;)

learn to live with it?!!! redface.gif

you should see my kitchen floor and sink!!!! if nothing else i know i can catch up on saturday. it may just have to wait till then.

or... i find if i have a few days of continuos good rest then one day i dont feel like i have to remain in bed after dd falls asleep. that is when i am super active, get a lot done and go to bed fully satisfied. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#15 of 25 Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know what happened to my last post. If it's doubled pls. ignore one. I agree if i feel more rested I should be more in control of the housework.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

learn to live with it?!!! redface.gif

you should see my kitchen floor and sink!!!! if nothing else i know i can catch up on saturday. it may just have to wait till then.

or... i find if i have a few days of continuos good rest then one day i dont feel like i have to remain in bed after dd falls asleep. that is when i am super active, get a lot done and go to bed fully satisfied. 

#16 of 25 Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Dd2 is 5. Lights out by 7pm, asleep by 7:30 usually. She gets up between 6 and 6:30am. We have to be out the door by 7:45 for school. It us really hard to get back up after putting all the kids to sleep but it is the time if day where I get the most housework done!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#17 of 25 Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

The update is that I forgot to turn on the alarm last night and she wasn't up by herself even though she had actually gone to bed earlier than the night bfor. She still needs time to be woken up and spend some time in bed before she is fully awake.

What is your routine for the weekends?

#18 of 25 Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM

weekends and holidays are off the hook nights. friday night stay up late. saturday wake up whenever (hah she usually wakes up between 6:30 and 7 am eyesroll.gif) but because no one is up she stays in bed usually reading  till hse is hungry and then gets up and makes breakfast. same thing saturday night and sunday morning. but sunday night she has to be in bed by 8, latest 9/ however i will say if she has something she has to do in the morning she does not want to do, she can sleep till 10 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

The update is that I forgot to turn on the alarm last night and she wasn't up by herself even though she had actually gone to bed earlier than the night bfor. She still needs time to be woken up and spend some time in bed before she is fully awake.

What is your routine for the weekends?

#19 of 25 Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mine do the teeth brushing, milk drinking routine at 7, in rooms lights out at 7:30, asleep usually before 8 even.  DS (7) is up on his own 6-6:30.  DD (4.5--5 in a couple weeks!!!)  gets up usually about 7.  She's my child who will sleep in if she goes to bed later, DS1 has slept till 9 AM maybe twice in his life and that was after being awake till midnight or after!!

DS2 just turned 3.  If he naps, he's up till 9 or after, if not, he falls asleep within minutes at 7:30 when the others go to bed.  But he's outrageously crabby without the nap.  He has cut back to about an hour, which helps bedtime go faster.

DS3 is 12 months and is ready to settle down at 7.  He naps late morning.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#20 of 25 Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Dd is 5yo and in K. She normally gets to bed by 7:30 each night though she really needs to be in bed by 7 p.m. to feel rested. She needs to be up at 6:00 a.m. to get ready for school. 

Ds is 7.5 and is O.K. with going to be at 7:30p.m. and reading for 30min with his dimmer lamp, but he can be difficult to wake at 6:00 a.m. if the sun is not up.

We try to stick to the same bed time on the weekends though sometimes we slack and they don't get to bed until 8p.m. They are not supposed to be out of bed until the clock says 6:00 on weekdays and 7:00 on weekends. Ds has medication he needs to take; I like to give it to him prior to 8 a.m. so it doesn't interfere with his sleep.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#21 of 25 Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, we are not v. disciplined ourselves. As of now the weekends aren't great but we're going to try to set a schedule for the weekends as well so dd has better routine than us.

#22 of 25 Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 PM

My boys are 3 and 5 years, and I tend to let them decide when its bedtime. They certainly know when they are tired, usually its 9pm to 9.30 pm, and they are exhausted, but fine in the morning. Seems to work for us ok

#23 of 25 Old 01-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

DD will be five in six weeks. She goes to bed between 7:00 and 7:15 and wakes up around 6;00 every day.

#24 of 25 Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM

My ds's are 5 and 7. Age 7 usually asleep by 9 ish. Age 5 has autism, SPd,OCD among other things but those are what affect his sleep. Bedtime can vary from 8 to 1 am depending on what kind of day it's been. the boys share a room so I can't really put 5 year old to bed until he is ready or 7 year old is kept awake and he NEEDS his sleep or he is a bear. School days they are up between 7 and 730, weekend whenever they get up.
#25 of 25 Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM

dd1 is 5. In bed at 8, normally asleep by 8:20. Her alarm is programmed for 6 am, it takes her a bit to get up, but she is finally out of bed slowly getting dressed around d 6:30. School bus picks her up at 7:45.

Occasionnally her bedtime gets pushed earlier to 7:30 on weeks where she complains she is tired or when the mornings are too hard...

Week end bedtime is 8:30. Just to make it a little special...

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page