Recommend a like-real doctor kit for a 4 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son LOVES "giving shots" and using real stethoscopes, and if all else fails, I'll just get him a cheaper nurses stethoscope, but it would be great if there were a whole kit that really works and uses minimal plastic and can hold up to a child's idea of "gentle".

Got one to recommend?

Thanks.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM

We have and love this one :)

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=543

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

mmmmm - nice! Now I need a blood pressure cuff!

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#4 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM

I made one. However its not minimal use of plastic but recycling and he does use the plasters/bandages on his parents as well as his lovies.

I used a red plastic lunch box and put a big cross on it, then filled it with small syringes, measuring spoon, plasters, bandages, gauze pads, blunt tweezers and a real stethoscope we were given by my FIL who used to work in medical sales. The contents either came with specific medications (syringes, spoons), were "expired" but unused gauzes, dressings from when we update our first aid kits or were bought at the "todo" shop.

When we lived in the US, the local hospital gift shop sold scrubs for kids with "Future Doctor in training" on the back. Unfortunately they don't fit my DS anymore but they looked great.

#5 of 6 Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If you decide to make one, this one stethoscope works well: http://www.forsmallhands.com/stethoscope

Almost all of the versions on the market are terrible and I loathe plastic. And of course when I broke down and bought the Fisher Price it was recalled for lead in Canada. Not in the US of course, because our standareds are lower. Great.

This is one we are going to try: http://www.magiccabin.com/Wooden-Doctor's-Kit_p2161_S2003_D1103_C2303.html

#6 of 6 Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 PM

I have a few cheapie stethoscopes from when I did my CNA training- the kids play with them when supervised (they're heavy and I don't want them to knock eachother out!.  The earpieces are too big to fit in their ears, which is good, because if you hit the end against something- boy that hurts your ears! lol.gif

As far as bp cuffs-  if you wanted a real one, you could go with an infant cuff- you could get a cheap sphygmomanometer and puncture the tubing or leave the valve dial part open (untightened so the air escapes) if you're afraid the little ones will pump it up too tight on eachother!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)

Tags
Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page