Stuttering. - Mothering Forums
The Childhood Years > Stuttering.
MountainMamaGC's Avatar MountainMamaGC 08:43 PM 12-15-2011

Lilly (She will be 4 in March) has been stuttering for a couple months now. She stutters her "I" and "C" sounds the most. Is this normal? Will she out grow it? It never was a problem before.

ex. "I I I I I I can do it."

"C-c-c-can you help?"

Emmeline II's Avatar Emmeline II 09:55 AM 12-19-2011

My son went through a period from 4-6 when he stuttered but I don't think it was linked to particular sounds, just trying to get the sentence started; he still does it but much less often, usually when he is excited. You could consult a speech therapist and see if it is something that would benefit from therapy.

MountainMamaGC's Avatar MountainMamaGC 08:49 PM 12-20-2011

Its getting worse. *sigh* My heart breaks a little when she just cant stop stuttering.

Snowflake777's Avatar Snowflake777 06:40 PM 12-21-2011
MountainMamaGC's Avatar MountainMamaGC 02:36 PM 12-22-2011

Its definitely not the typical disfluency from the first video, and just like the kids from the second video.

LynnS6's Avatar LynnS6 10:37 PM 12-22-2011

It's time to call a speech-language pathologist. The conventional wisdom used to be wait and see if they outgrew it in a year or so, but newer wisdom is that the sooner she can work on it, the better it'll be.

If your insurance covers it, I'd go with a private one. If not, your local school district should provide speech services. (The issue there is that she'd have to be significantly impaired for them to work on it, most likely, since most districts are pretty strapped for money.)

keeptryst's Avatar keeptryst 09:28 AM 01-09-2012

DS stuttered from when he was 2.5 yrs - 4 yrs. Lasted about a year and a half. It used to be pretty bad at times...the kind speech experts say is real stuttering. I read all the reassuring threads on MDC about how this issue is common in early childhood (before the age of 6) and how it usually passes, and also felt deep inside that he would ultimately outgrow it. Did not go to any therapist. He finally did outgrow it...just before his 4th birthday. Now it seems to have passed like a forgotten dream...I don't even remember at times that he used to stutter before though it certainly was heart-breaking when he was going through it. Hang in there and give her some time to grow out of it.

Tags: Child
Up