Stuttering. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Lilly (She will be 4 in March) has been stuttering for a couple months now. She stutters her "I" and "C" sounds the most. Is this normal? Will she out grow it? It never was a problem before.

ex. "I I I I I I can do it."

"C-c-c-can you help?"

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#2 of 7 Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son went through a period from 4-6 when he stuttered but I don't think it was linked to particular sounds, just trying to get the sentence started; he still does it but much less often, usually when he is excited. You could consult a speech therapist and see if it is something that would benefit from therapy.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 7 Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Its getting worse. *sigh* My heart breaks a little when she just cant stop stuttering.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 7 Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM

#5 of 7 Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Its definitely not the typical disfluency from the first video, and just like the kids from the second video.

#6 of 7 Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM

It's time to call a speech-language pathologist. The conventional wisdom used to be wait and see if they outgrew it in a year or so, but newer wisdom is that the sooner she can work on it, the better it'll be.

If your insurance covers it, I'd go with a private one. If not, your local school district should provide speech services. (The issue there is that she'd have to be significantly impaired for them to work on it, most likely, since most districts are pretty strapped for money.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#7 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 AM

DS stuttered from when he was 2.5 yrs - 4 yrs. Lasted about a year and a half. It used to be pretty bad at times...the kind speech experts say is real stuttering. I read all the reassuring threads on MDC about how this issue is common in early childhood (before the age of 6) and how it usually passes, and also felt deep inside that he would ultimately outgrow it. Did not go to any therapist. He finally did outgrow it...just before his 4th birthday. Now it seems to have passed like a forgotten dream...I don't even remember at times that he used to stutter before though it certainly was heart-breaking when he was going through it. Hang in there and give her some time to grow out of it.

Tags
Child

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page