Sleepover dilemma, wwyd?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son (6) has just gotten to the age that we felt he was mature and old enough to sleep over at a friend's house. He has only done it a handful of times, but now I'm starting to really, umm, HATE it... and I feel like a grumpy mom. Here's my issue:

WE are a very strict household. I was allowed to run wild as a child and I felt like it had a negative impact on me growing up. DH was raised in a very strict household, so he's just carrying on what he felt was successful in his life. By strict I mean my kids have boundaries, which I feel are important. Cleaning up after ourselves, our kids have chores, we follow a schedule, we don't jump on beds, furniture or act like wild animals. Rough play and yelling is fine outside, but inside we expect you to respect our things. You do what you're told, and if there is a problem, we have "time in's" and talk about what the issue is and try to come to an understanding together. I feel like I support my kids and make them feel secure and loved, but have an equally stern, high expectations household.

Now DS1's friends house... to me... is wayyyyyy different. His mom is a very loving, laid back women. I can tell she is very well bonded with her kids and is a devoted mom. However, her kids do pretty much whatever they want. While DH and I were over last night, the kids were using all of the furniture as trampolines and somehow got a bunch of play-dough out and were throwing it AT THE WHITE WALLS, watching it splatter. DH and I looked at each other like "ooommmggg is this happening right now?" Their blinds are like completely destroyed from the kids, and I just notice that a lot of their furniture and stuff is broken because everyone is so rough. I mean, the kids were chasing each other around with a tennis racket and hitting and kicking balls in the house. My DS had this glimmer in his eye as he ran around like a wild animal (not listening to me at all as I asked him to respect their house, as she said "no biggie, they're allowed to do that!".

So he comes home this morning. I pick him at at noon and he's still in his PJs. He had a chocolate bar for breakfast, no lunch. I asked him what he did and he tells me "I stayed up ALLLLL night! They're allowed to watch TV all night(yes, TV in their bed room nut.gif.. lol.. we don't even have cable) and we jumped on the beds for hours. SO MUCH FUN. We played outside all morning by ourselves!"

On the way home, DS started to cry because he was coming home. When we pulled in the driveway I turned the car off and encouraged him to talk to me about why he was upset. Long story short, he's upset because our house is so lame and J's house is so fun. His parents are so cool. He can do anything he wants. I tried to explain the best I could the differences in households, but I mean.. c'mon.. he's 6. I fed him, showered and dressed him, and now he is taking the first nap in three years because he's so completely exhausted from not sleeping.

DH arranged this sleepover, I had been trying to avoid them as I find the differences in households to be just TOO much. But now I feel like the jerk, controlling mom who won't let him have sleepovers because I don't feel like the things he's doing/seeing are safe & good examples. 

WWYD in a situation like this? DH thinks one night every now and then won't hurt him.. I don't feel like she's a bad mom or anything, I just feel like our households are very different and sending mixed signals. 

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#2 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Well... every once in awhile a sleep over like that, is really AWESOME!  My parents were quite strict as in they didn't allow a lot of shenanegans!  I had a friend whose parents were so laid back.  I was always behaved at their home but I loved the fact that I got to stay up late and I didn't have to brush my teeth!  Good memories!!!

#3 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I guess I am the parent you described because nothing you said raised my eyebrow except for the TV, no one has a TV in their bedroom and they don't watch TV all night. But everything else? Common practice here. DD1 has one friend whose parents are more like you. And honestly, I wish DD1 would find another friend. Just because everytime she comes over I have to be on constant guard because she isn't allowed to do so much. I have to monitor what we say, watch, listen to, eat, on and on. By mutual agreement, the mom and I now only let DD1 go there, the friend doesn't come here anymore. They don't want her copying the "wildness" of my house. It is a mixed blessings, because sometimes DD1 just wants to play her her toys with her friends and they live in our neighborhood so it is odd always sending her over there. The other girl is 10, and the girls have been in the same class for 3 years now so this isn't a new problem. This is the only time it has come up, usually I have the house where everyone's else kids want to hang out at! Which is what I wanted, a safe hang out place, I'm hoping that continues as they get older.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 01:53 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are feeling. Our daughter is two and we have already decided that she will be able to have sleepovers...but at our house only. Too many WEIRD things happened to me at other kids' houses growing up for me to be completely comfortable sending my sweet daughter to anyone's house overnight, other than her grandparents. Like it or not, most kids are not good influences on other kids. The more time they spend together, the more likely they are to do something really stupid. I'm not saying young children shouldn't have friends, just that their time together should be monitored. If you don't feel your DS's friend's parents can do that to your satisfaction, I totally would not allow them to have sleepovers anymore.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#5 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess my house is somewere between the two you described. I'm fairly laid back but not that laid back.

Anyway, I'd personally let him go every so often. I don't think an occasional night like that is going to cause harm, and the relationship building and fun will be good for him. Just don't let him go over too often. Chocolate for breakfast? That would be the worst part for me. But so long as it was very occasional, I'd relax about it and think of it like Christmas morning or something. Anyway, just my perspective.

#6 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I have to share my story about my sisters and their sons, 2 months apart in age.  My oldest sister is a lot like me, permissive about jumping on furniture, though somehow her house was always trashed, and I have somehow managed to avoid that.  My other, next older sister is like you.  Her house is beautiful, quiet and the kids are respectful.  They eat at the dining room table.  She is not overbearing or mean, she just expects respect and chores and cleaning up, etc.  Noisy play belongs outside.

Now, the boys love each other, always.  And they both have fun at each other's houses.  BS1's son loves how nice his cousin's house looks and he likes eating at the dinner table instead of in the living room in front of the TV.  And his cousin likes the freedom at bs1's house, even though the house is trashed and he would never want his room or his house to look like that.  My sisters love each other, even though their respective habits drive each other nuts.  

6yo is a little young to really grasp those things, but if his friends were to come over and have fun in your house that doesn't involve trashing the house, with a lovely dinner at the table and toys that are in one piece (I'm taking a little creative license here) your son might feel better about the "cool factor" of his own room and house, too.  And make sure they have plenty of boisterous run-and-jump-around time outside.  I suspect that if you allowed it now and then, and invited his friend over equally, the differences will become less emotional for him.  If he and his friend are anything like my two nephews, he will.

Edited to add:  if during your talks, you find something he likes about his friend's house that you are willing to compromise on and incorporate, that might go a long ways towards helping him feel better.

mcampa likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#7 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the responses! I think my main issue with why this is bothering me is because DS is so resentful of the way we "live" compared to his friend.. like this is a torturous life or something. irked.gif He was literally the biggest grump all day. He slept for 3 hours before I woke him up because I needed to go to the store. He cried and whined in the van the entire way, then moped through the store, then complained all night at home about how bad his day was since he came home until finally crashing about 10 minutes ago. 

I explained to him that I understand that he's upset, but if he can't handle that the rules are a little different here, he can't go over anymore...

I don't think I'm really "opposed" to him going every now and then, but the main thing that bothers me is lack of supervision. I don't know if I should bring them up with the mom or not... or if I even could without being insulting. Playing outside unsupervised: fine in some areas, not where we live. We used to live across the street actually and moved because it is a pretty heavy drug area. They aren't involved in anything like that and actually moved there after we moved, and they moved here from out of state not knowing the area. But either way, I don't feel like it's safe, plus the street isn't in a neighborhood. I know they're 6, but 6 year olds can wander and do stupid stuff. Her DS is very different from mine. Maybe it IS the way he was raised and that he's had so much freedom, but her son is very CHILL and my son is always looking for trouble. When I've had her son over for a sleepover, he was so quiet, calm and respectful. It was my DS who was constantly driving me bananas. My fear is that with all of this new found freedom and no supervision, my DS is going to do something incredibly stupid. I'm the kind of mom who fears the worst, and she's much more laid back and doesn't think about that kind of stuff. IDK, I admit that I am incredibly over protective, probably because of some things I experienced growing up due to lack of supervision and crazy, partying laid back parents who didn't care what I did or where I went. 

Chocolate for breakfast and all of that stuff, I can overlook and cringe in my own way as long as it's not at my house. We also encourage a lot of independent and pretend play, outdoor play and actively do stuff with our kids. DS was talking about how cool it was the his friend is allowed to play video games whenever he wants without asking. We have a Wii for the kids, but DS isn't allowed to play unless he's been good and he has to ask. And screen time is limited. DS's friend's mom did mention to me that she had to put away video games because my DS was OBSESSING over how much they were allowed to play, and it was all he wanted to do. I thanked her for not letting him do it all day at least... redface.gif

I don't know, I think I need to try to become a happy medium or something. In no way do I want my kids bouncing on my expensive sectional or standing on my kitchen table throwing play-dough balls... but man... I feel so lame, ROTFLMAO.gif But I feel like with my DS's personality, he NEEDS boundaries or it wouldn't be a good thing. I like the suggestion of allowing things from his friends house into our house. But oh man, it'd have to be something really tame. orngtongue.gif

Jesse, mama to my three wonderful boys, our newest born at home late Jan 2012 luxlove.gif

#8 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Maybe you can be specific about what boundaries you feel like your son needs, and communicate them to her as what you've found that works for you, like "I've found that when I let Mikey do X, then often Y ends up happening, and I want to avoid that because of blah blah, so I'd like it if you wouldn't let Mikey do X when he's over at your house". That way the focus is on what he needs rather than what she is or isn't doing with her own kid.

Maybe you can let him throw play-dough balls outside? Or is it the novelty of doing it in the house that's so awesome for him?

#9 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM

IMO, kids can understand different rules at different places. I'd let him go, but, maybe pick him up earlier than noon.
The main thing I want to add is that I wouldn't get upset at how he acted the next day. My kids are always tired and disagreeable after a sleepover due to lack of sleep - regardless of what style of house they've slept over at - strict or permissive. If he continues, after catching up on sleep, to voice concerns about your house, then I'd address it. Try not to take too seriously anything he said on 3 hrs of sleep!
Surfacing likes this.
#10 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM

if there were guns in that house, you would have no qualms about disallowing sleepovers there.

frankly, i would not want my kid (who is not quite 6 yet, but close) staying up all night and then coming home tired and crabby. it would throw off MY entire day.

perhaps you SHOULD put the ki-bosh (i know i misspelled that) on future sleepovers at this particular place, but YOU should hand pick another friend and invite that child to sleep over at your house, with the intention that your son could then stay at his house in turn if invited.

it gives you a bad feeling to have your son come home complaining about your rules. enough said. no more sleepovers there until he is much more mature and able to understand that going there is the EXCEPTION to his life, not a license to write a new rulebook.

six is really young, IMO, to be having sleepovers at all.

not really necessary for social reasons, and just invites trouble, whilest very little gained.

#11 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 04:38 AM

I would let the other boy sleep over more.  If he's quiet and calm at your house, he may be enjoying the lack of chaos.  I think the idea that a lot of kids go wild where there are a lack of rules is rather normal.  His mama just might be putting the fear of god in him before he heads out to your place.  My little cousin is a thug and has no rules at all but I know that he will always be pleasant when he's around me and my kids.  Opening doors, wiping ketchup off of little DD2's face, holding their hands in the store.  Some kids crave rules when they are not getting them, while those that live with a lot of rules crave freedom. 

Good luck

#12 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 AM

This is where I become Growly Mama:  if something, or the lack of it, is causing over the top fits, I will not allow it, not in my house not anywhere.  It is my last ditch tactic in this parenting arena.  Ice cream?  I like to have it in the house and they can have a little every day, but if it's causing fits because you want to have it for breakfast?  Sayonara, ice cream!  If they are bears the next morning after a night staying up late?  No more late nights for a while.  "I will not allow things that cause trouble in my house."  Period.  Deal with it.  This is after all my sympathizing and discussing and negotiating all end the same way: tears and tantrums.  Time for this mama to lay down the house rule.  I am a very permissive mama, but this is the final straw.

So, if this was my daughter coming home, and she is a mess the next day, and if I hear that the other mama had to work to get me to move on from the video games?  Guess what, my darlings, if they ever act that way again they won't get to spend the night again.  And if they still have meltdowns over another's house rules?  Don't even get to go over there.  I would put it in their court in that way.  Now, if your son was like my 5yo dd2, she would scream "Stop talking!  Stop being angry!"  (Translation: "Give me my way.)  And we could go on like this for hours if I were to wait for some sign of comprehension.  But she'll get the point.  6.75yo dd1 will stew and simmer and blame it all on dd2.  But she will get the point, too.

Bottom line:  I would give him one more chance, and with my girls I would word it that way and tell them why they only get one and what kind of behavior I expect at their friend's house and the following day at ours.  Then I'd grit my teeth and give them a second chance.  

Kids this little deserve "do-overs".

Surfacing likes this.

#13 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanoish View Post

When I've had her son over for a sleepover, he was so quiet, calm and respectful. It was my DS who was constantly driving me bananas. My fear is that with all of this new found freedom and no supervision, my DS is going to do something incredibly stupid. I'm the kind of mom who fears the worst, and she's much more laid back and doesn't think about that kind of stuff. IDK, I admit that I am incredibly over protective, probably because of some things I experienced growing up due to lack of supervision and crazy, partying laid back parents who didn't care what I did or where I went. 

It is good that you are trying to look at this head on. If you don't want him to go crazy with new found freedom and go wild and do something stupid, then maybe the time is now to start allowing him a little freedom. Sounds like you demand a respectful, quiet child. Nothing wrong with that. But if he is respectful, does his chores... then allow him some of that freedom. He has earned it. Let him outside, unsupervised, for 15 minutes more than YOUR comfort zone. Because he has been mature enough to deserve it. And because it is about your comfort zones, and finding out which are fine exactly where they are, and which you need to let go of, because they are only a response to be opposite of what your parents did. KWIM? There is a difference between never jumping on furniture and jumping on everything while throwing play dough on the walls. A somewhat wild, jumping pillow fight on a sturdy bead comes to mind. There is a difference between eating chocolate for breakfast and no lunch and only eating healthy, nutritious foods three times a day. An upside down day comes to mind - you have dinner for breakfast and pandcakes for dinner.

Personally I'm neither on your end, nor your friends end, somewhere in the middle I guess. But if my kids were allowed that on occasion, I would let them. My DD's best friend gets to do tons she does not, gets every present she ever wanted, got 5 different christmas calendars this year (lego, chocolate, little pet shop and I don't know what else) where my "poor" DD only got one. Sometimes my DD comes back home with a little bratty attitude afterwards. But it goes over quickly. And more important - she is learning - different houses equal different rules. And it is a dear friend. And yes, it is worth it.

#14 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM

I'm not incredibly strict, but I run my home a lot more closely to your household than the friend's. My DD is nearly 7. I wouldn't allow her to have sleep overs with a friend in that sort of household. Not because I see anything wrong with another household operating that way, but because at this point in time, DD doesn't have the maturity and impulse control to handle that situation well. She too would be obsessing over the video games and TV (she's screen-free at home), she'd eat as much junk as she could get her hands on to the point of illness, and she would drive the parents batty asking for more of this, more of that, more, more, more just to see where the limits are. Then she'd come home and throw a massive tantrum. Right now she doesn't do well without limits. At the moment, she isn't allowed to sleepover elsewhere period, because every time we've tried, it's gone very badly. My goal for her is to be able to handle sleepovers with families I trust within the next year or two, and we're actively working towards that. We spend a lot of time talking about what areas she'd most like more freedom in, what I expect from her in order for that to happen, and how I can help her reach those expectations. I give her more freedom as she shows she can handle it. Bedtime is one area in which she has gotten more freedom because she has shown she can handle it. I've given her a little wiggle room, we've talked about the results and she's come to realize how miserable she is the next day when she doesn't get enough sleep, so now she tends to head to bed at a reasonable hour with or without a bedtime in place. I intend to remove her bedtime completely soon (likely on her birthday next month). We're tackling other areas pretty much the same way. I've learned that just tossing her into a situation like that doesn't end well for any of us, so we're working up to it.

I also make a special effort to make our home fun especially when friends come over. Despite the fact that I am somewhat strict (often more strict in some ways that the parents of friends that visit), I tend to be considered the "cool" mom. I may not allow complete freedom, over the top mess making, or totally unsupervised time, but I have my own ways of making things fun. DD's friends having a lot of fun with her here and telling her how awesome I am seems to keep the complaining on her part to a minimum. None of her friend's moms make homemade granola bars, hot cocoa from scratch, homemade dinners, know how to make a castle from construction paper and cardstock, make homemade playdough, or throw impromptu "unbirthday" parties. She may not have as much freedom as they do, video games, TV, or numerous (and plastic) toys, but she does have fun, and her friends have always loved spending time with us. Upping the fun factor at home (especially when he has a friend over) without leaving behind what's important to you could potentially give him less to complain about.

#15 of 33 Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well, you son is 6.  You are getting this info from a 6 yr old.  I'm not sure you are getting the entire story or the full version of what really  happened at the sleep over.  They stayed up ALL night?  umm, maybe- but probably not.  At some point the kids probably fell asleep either playing or watching tv.  Most likely just a much later bedtime then usual.

Candy for breakfast?  Again, possible but maybe the kids- or one of the kids- got into the candy and then everyone had candy for breakfast.  But I'm gonna bet the mom provided an option for something else too.

Unsupervised outside? likely just not supervised in the way that you DS is usually watched outdoors.  Maybe mom/dad was watching from a window, maybe the kids stayed in the yard, who knows, but I doubt 2 six year olds were wandering the streets.

From your first post and the subsequent posts I'm going to assume your kiddo has a pretty early bedtime and a pretty short leash?  If so, that's fine but he did go into a situation 180 degrees from what is normal.  I would gently ease him into different families and different situations at this age.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#16 of 33 Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Sleepovers were usually a time for bending the rules.  I didn't sleep over at 6, however, but when I did we usually got to stay up late watching TV, playing atari, eating too much ice cream and getting generally crazy.  It's possible that could be skewing your son's perceptions about what happens normally over there.

#17 of 33 Old 12-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Well, you son is 6.  You are getting this info from a 6 yr old.  I'm not sure you are getting the entire story or the full version of what really  happened at the sleep over.  They stayed up ALL night?  umm, maybe- but probably not.  At some point the kids probably fell asleep either playing or watching tv.  Most likely just a much later bedtime then usual.

Candy for breakfast?  Again, possible but maybe the kids- or one of the kids- got into the candy and then everyone had candy for breakfast.  But I'm gonna bet the mom provided an option for something else too.

Unsupervised outside? likely just not supervised in the way that you DS is usually watched outdoors.  Maybe mom/dad was watching from a window, maybe the kids stayed in the yard, who knows, but I doubt 2 six year olds were wandering the streets.

From your first post and the subsequent posts I'm going to assume your kiddo has a pretty early bedtime and a pretty short leash?  If so, that's fine but he did go into a situation 180 degrees from what is normal.  I would gently ease him into different families and different situations at this age.

my kids are 9, 10 & 13 & have had many sleepovers, I agree with the above poster.

Chances are very very slim that they actually stayed up all night.  Kids thing sleepover & yay we get to stay up all night & is does not happen but they sure like to say that they did.  They were most likely asleep by 9 or 10 & if it is later than their usual bedtime than they wills ay they stayed up all night - especially at 6years old.  They exaggerate to make themselves feel older than they are.

Have you verified any of the info with the mom?  

#18 of 33 Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM

My first thought when I read the OP was that I remember sleepovers like what you describe very fondly and as some of the happiest times in my childhood because my parents were strict. But, I cant remember more than a couple the whole time I was in elementary school, they certianly werent happening on a regular basis. I agree with the previous poster who reminded you that the information is coming from a 6 year old. "All night" may have been midnight or 1am, not really all night. I would ask the other mom what is going on before making any big decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are feeling. Our daughter is two and we have already decided that she will be able to have sleepovers...but at our house only. Too many WEIRD things happened to me at other kids' houses growing up for me to be completely comfortable sending my sweet daughter to anyone's house overnight, other than her grandparents. Like it or not, most kids are not good influences on other kids. The more time they spend together, the more likely they are to do something really stupid. I'm not saying young children shouldn't have friends, just that their time together should be monitored. If you don't feel your DS's friend's parents can do that to your satisfaction, I totally would not allow them to have sleepovers anymore.

Wow, blanket statement much? Really? You have already decided that when your two year old grows up a litttle she cant go to any slumber parties? Honestly, I believe that when kids are kept at their house and at their grandparents house for their whole life and not allowed to spend the night with friends or have unsupervised interaction with their peers (b/c, you know, they are all bad influences on each other) it doesnt always turn out for the best. I had a friend growing up whose mom was like that, she was always the host of every party but her kid couldnt do anything without her being there. Camp- nope, mom was a counselor. Dance team- mom was a volunteer and there for every trip. Slumber parties- always at her house, never spent the night anywhere else. It was weird, and when my friend went off to college I dont think she had ever spent the night anywhere other than her house or her grandma's house- social issues ensued. Honestly, there are a bunch of weirdos in this world, but you cant control every aspect of your kids life just because something might make you uncomfortable if you let them do something outside the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

if there were guns in that house, you would have no qualms about disallowing sleepovers there.

frankly, i would not want my kid (who is not quite 6 yet, but close) staying up all night and then coming home tired and crabby. it would throw off MY entire day.

perhaps you SHOULD put the ki-bosh (i know i misspelled that) on future sleepovers at this particular place, but YOU should hand pick another friend and invite that child to sleep over at your house, with the intention that your son could then stay at his house in turn if invited.

it gives you a bad feeling to have your son come home complaining about your rules. enough said. no more sleepovers there until he is much more mature and able to understand that going there is the EXCEPTION to his life, not a license to write a new rulebook.

six is really young, IMO, to be having sleepovers at all.

not really necessary for social reasons, and just invites trouble, whilest very little gained.

But, there ARENT guns in the house. Why is that even being compared? Guns and chocolate for breakfast arent even remotely on the same level.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#19 of 33 Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 AM

Apart from the extremes like guns (and I haven't read all the replies), consenting to sleepovers is, IMO, a trip to crazytown.  You either suck it up and deal with the aftermath until normalcy returns, or you have a rule that you don't do them.  Even in houses with more similar expectations, you're not going to get 2 friends on the same sleep schedule.  At best, they have the same bedtime, go to bed on time, and only one of them loses sleep -- the one who doesn't wake up first.  I have been a mean mom for a couple of years now.  I was tired of crazytown. 

#20 of 33 Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM

I look at it this way, there will be a million things that will cause your child to have a cruddy attitude and it won't just be sleeping over at his buddies house.  Friends having different toys, clothes, snacks at school.  You have to weigh the good and the bad.  Will hanging out with his friend create good memories?  Even if he comes home a bear?  I've let my girls sleep over at houses that were stricter than mine and the mom still allowed staying up late and offered junky food at night.  The houses were not chaotic by any means but there are allowances that are made in these situations that most parents wouldn't normally allow.  My girls still came home like head spinning snots!  Even if they stayed with grandma or their Aunt who is a no bullshit rule abider!  They still come home all snotty.  Everything is still cooler somewhere else.  Grandma has a pretty garden, or feeds 10 stray cats.  Aunty has a two story and let them slide down in sleeping bags.  No matter what you will always find that they will like something new a little better for just a little while.  

Surfacing likes this.
#21 of 33 Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 AM

It would be fun every so often as long as your child does not get an attitude 24/7 at home  about the way your family lives. I would not want the complaints,and I would not give in to be lax to be the *cool* parent. If he can accept the difference,and enjoy his time at the friends while respecting your rules at home-then I would allow it. Shoot, I might even be lax during a sleep over at our place!

#22 of 33 Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM

I was reading through the thread, and this phrase came though my mind:

Do you want to create a preachers kid?  You know, the kid who had so many rules growing up, but then went off to college and went wild because they had no framework of how to deal with the extra influence?  My parents may have thought that I was so straight and narrow when I was a teen, but really?  Where I rebelled was in areas where I could erase the evidence(internet.)

I am not saying don't set up rules for him and your house-  I am saying relax a little bit. 

It could be that he was allowed to fully let loose the stress of keeping all of "the rules" at their house and got emotional about having to come back and toe that line hard.  It is hard for me to relax at some peoples houses because I am so concerned about keeping their stuff nice, but when I am at my in-laws, they understand that spills and accidents happen and that things can be cleaned up.

If he truly is that respectful and obedient on a daily basis, of his own choice, please give him more freedom(within safety boundaries, of course)-  otherwise you are constantly telling him "I know you do this and this consistently.  Thank you.  But I still do not trust you to do it on your own, so I am going to shadow you till I know that you will all the time."  He needs to know that is worth your trust.

From all that you wrote, it seems as if you have raised a really good kid, now let him show that to you and others.

#23 of 33 Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 AM

I grew up in a very laid back household, and have a kind of messy and laid back household now. Kids that come over usually leave covered with mud. But I also don't think you are wrong to think this household is a little over the top, and to think it's important to monitor where your kid is spending the night. Like, I had a friend when I was little, his house looked nice and clean but his parents were always fighting & yelling and for some reason his mom walked around naked a lot, it was just a weird environment and my parents shouldn't have let me go over there. But if you think this mom is a kind a and loving person, you could still let your son hang out there, just maybe tell her your son had a great time, but he had a hard time winding down the next day so you've decided he's too young for sleepovers and let him just spend the day, or you've decided not to let him watch TV unsupervised, etc. She sounds nice, she would probably be receptive if you approached it in the right way. I had some great times staying up all night, throwing popcorn and bouncing on off the walls, I think that's important, but if your gut is telling you it's too crazy, it's good to go with that.

Also, everyone else has been saying this but it does sound like your son is telling you he needs more freedom. Jumping on the couch is part of childhood, maybe only let him jump on one couch or something? I would definitely find some things you are willing to give on---one late bedtime a week, a little more noise, a little more mess. You don't want him to feel like he can't ever do ANYTHING fun at home, that would be suffocating.

#24 of 33 Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Maybe it wouldn't hurt having a small lunch with the parents of the people your child will be spending the night with? If it needs too be. write down a simple things that are for your childs comfort zone when they go off and spend the night at a friends house. Like, what time they go too bed, or what things they are or are not allowed too eat and if they can have certin junk food  or soda (if you want the kid too have soda.)  with a list of the kind, and if you need too you can provide a small serving for your child when they spend the night at their house. Also an emergancy list of contacts doesn't hurt either.

But I think a small lunch or play date at the park would help if you wanted too talk too the mom or dad of your childs friends on what happened. 6 year olds do sometimes exadurate a bit.

But it is hard trying too explain too a kid why things are done at your house a certine way or why things are done at someone else' another way.

Maybe doing something different at dinner and letting the kids have a small movie night? For dinner they could make their own personal pizza's and have a small snack while watching a movie. Or maybe having a 'Dance Party' in the living room. As long as the kids have something to do, they will enjoy their time.

When it came too time when my friend ( whom where used to running around town and doing whatever she wanted ) My mom would make sure they stayed on our property, by doing crazy dancing in the living room or playing cards or games. Or just doing stuff outside. My friend knew my mom and dad where strict - But didn't believe me until they came and stayed at my place. But we tried making it fun also.

#25 of 33 Old 12-21-2011, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

wait so you are writing this post on the day he returned?

or even the next day? 

when he hasnt rested well and gotten back on his regular routine?

you are taking this waaaaaay too seriously. 

give him a chance to recover. 

and he'll be back to normal.

and if he wants things differently in your house, you all need to look at it and see if you can stretch yourself to do that. 

i am the laid back mom and my friend is the strict mom. both the kids have loads of fun at each others houses. we both are cool moms to the friends, but to our own kids we are kinda predictable and boring. 

whenever we have sleepovers the kids are ALWAYS up late. they sleep in the living room and watch a movie. or the movie will be running in the background and they will bring out their favourite books and compare their favourite parts. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#26 of 33 Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I also think that the day after a sleepover is a bad time to make a decision. It's best just to go into recovery mode for a day or so until the child regains a little equilibrium. I accept that the kids will be over-tired, grumpy, whinging, and generally discontented after the fun and excitement of a sleepover, whether or not the family has a similar lifestyle and house rules to ours. It's a little like a trip to a theme park. Even if the sleepover happened in an orderly house with only quiet play, an enforced bedtime and no junk food, it's likely that the kids would have been up late giggling under the covers, telling stories and playing games and would be tired out and whining the next day. 

I would tolerate the grumping and whinging the next day and not try to reason, or explain, or manage the differences between the families. It isn't easy and it will test your patience. The trick is to avoid being defensive about your own household. Once he isn't so tired out, you can all have a calm discussion about different households and expectations and future sleepovers.

I found my kids were able to accept that different families have different house rules. As long as ours were reasonable and somewhat flexible to suit the situation and everyone's needs, I didn't hear a lot of complaining about them. 

#27 of 33 Old 12-24-2011, 01:33 PM

We don't do sleepovers (unless we know the family REALLY well) especially for a child so young, and I wouldn't let my kids sleepovers in a situation like that.  We are probably somewhere in between those two extremes.  We're pretty laid back about furniture and walls and can get laid-back about food, but strict about TV and computer/video game usage.   Anyway, if the sleepovers are bothering you, I would stop them and just do playdates.   I HATE the lack of "sleep" involved in sleepovers, and I feel that so little sleep is REALLY hard on kids that young.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#28 of 33 Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post

We don't do sleepovers (unless we know the family REALLY well) especially for a child so young, and I wouldn't let my kids sleepovers in a situation like that.  We are probably somewhere in between those two extremes.  We're pretty laid back about furniture and walls and can get laid-back about food, but strict about TV and computer/video game usage.   Anyway, if the sleepovers are bothering you, I would stop them and just do playdates.   I HATE the lack of "sleep" involved in sleepovers, and I feel that so little sleep is REALLY hard on kids that young.

i agree. lack of sleep wreaks havoc the next day (or two) for the child involved AND his/her family, who has to deal with aftermath. 

i would think a simple cost-benefit analysis would do here.

is the cost of a sleep deprived 6 year old really worth the benefit of a 6 year old sleeping over at another child's house?

#29 of 33 Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

is the cost of a sleep deprived 6 year old really worth the benefit of a 6 year old sleeping over at another child's house?

Could be, if the kid gets a kick out of it.

I don't get a lot of the posts in this thread, tbh. To me, sleepovers are about staying up late, giggling and playing with your friends, eating junk food, and yeah, being crabby/sleepy the next day, but that's just the price you pay. It wouldn't be a good idea to act like this all the time, but I really don't think a sleepover once a month or so is going to damage a kid for life or even for the next week. Kids learn that there are different rules different places... that's just a lesson in life that they will learn sooner or later.

#30 of 33 Old 12-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Could be, if the kid gets a kick out of it.

I don't get a lot of the posts in this thread, tbh. To me, sleepovers are about staying up late, giggling and playing with your friends, eating junk food, and yeah, being crabby/sleepy the next day, but that's just the price you pay. It wouldn't be a good idea to act like this all the time, but I really don't think a sleepover once a month or so is going to damage a kid for life or even for the next week. Kids learn that there are different rules different places... that's just a lesson in life that they will learn sooner or later.

yeahthat.gif

I send my dd to a sleepover at a local kids gym once a month so she can have the fun overnight experience described above with a group of many other kids and a few of her friends.

If your son is overall upset with the differences then you may need to consider what you can change to help him feel more comfortable with the family he has.  If it was a one or two day thing or something that only happens after he is at this home then I don't think you need to worry about it.  If he does it after a playdate then it may help to talk about some of the fun things your kids get to do that the other family doesn't do.  One big way and easy way to let go and give him the sense of freedom while still maintaining the values you embrace may be to let him play outside in the front yard without you being there with him the whole time.

Tags
Childhood

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page