Prek bathroom question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Dd's in a pre-k at a public school. She says that boys and girls share the bathrooms (the toilets are outside the class room) and so she doesn't want to use the bathroom as the seat might be dirty. She actually says the seat is dirty like she has been. But, I have asked a few times and she says she has never been but she knows.

Anyway, does anyone know if they are separate for boys and girls or common? I would ask her teacher but I just don't want her teacher to start encouraging her to go since dd is v. uptight about it and would rather hold (she is a great holder.) Just didn't want to traumatize her about it.

Tia.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've only been in one preschool that had the boy's and girl's bathroom separate.

And, yes... the boys pee all over the seat.  I don't understand why they don't just lift the girl's seat, but they just stand in the vicinity and go... apparently being only a few inches from the seat does not improve their aim.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 PM

It is common to share.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I am surprised to hear that. How inconsiderate of the schools to not have separate bathrooms. How can they expect 4-5 yo boys to aim perfectly. When we use a public bathroom we clean the seat with some toilet paper, but dd just can't do it properly yet and I don't blame her for not going in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

I've only been in one preschool that had the boy's and girl's bathroom separate.

And, yes... the boys pee all over the seat.  I don't understand why they don't just lift the girl's seat, but they just stand in the vicinity and go... apparently being only a few inches from the seat does not improve their aim.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM

At my kids preschool they do not have separate bathrooms.  I have a girl and a boy and both of them manage to get their pee in the toilet.  My 3 year old son stands to pee and does not pee on the seat, so I wouldn't just assume that boys cannot aim.  Probably some are messy, but not all.  Can she just ask her teacher to come and clean the seat before she goes?  I aid in the classroom and would have no problem cleaning the seat for a child and would assume it is the schools responsibility to keep the toilets clean as well :)

K, Momma to angel3.gifA(born still 8/22/00), DD A(1/31/06) and DS A(3/13/08), and Baby A (2/2/12)

Old 12-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've never seen separate toilets in PK either. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Our preschool has separate bathrooms for boys and girl

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 PM

I work at a rec center that has a pre -school that my boys went to.  There was one bathroom that everyone shared.  Come to think of it, in K there is only one bathroom with separate stalls....

Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkrpata View Post

At my kids preschool they do not have separate bathrooms.  I have a girl and a boy and both of them manage to get their pee in the toilet.  My 3 year old son stands to pee and does not pee on the seat, so I wouldn't just assume that boys cannot aim.  Probably some are messy, but not all.  Can she just ask her teacher to come and clean the seat before she goes?  I aid in the classroom and would have no problem cleaning the seat for a child and would assume it is the schools responsibility to keep the toilets clean as well :)

The teachers are usually not allowed to assist in the bathroom, but if no children are actually in the stalls, the teacher can go wipe down the seats.  I bet there's even a cupboard with supplies in there. 

But, if the teachers don't know this bothers the OPs daughter, they can't do anything to help.  I think the OP can ask the teachers to help encourage her to use the bathroom, even if she's the first one, or the last one.  Maybe she just wants to be alone in there?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

The teachers are usually not allowed to assist in the bathroom, but if no children are actually in the stalls, the teacher can go wipe down the seats.  I bet there's even a cupboard with supplies in there. 

But, if the teachers don't know this bothers the OPs daughter, they can't do anything to help.  I think the OP can ask the teachers to help encourage her to use the bathroom, even if she's the first one, or the last one.  Maybe she just wants to be alone in there?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM

I wouldnt assume it is only 'the biys' who get pee and poo on the seat. I've seen girls get pee all over the seat. I've seen both girls and boys get poo on the set while navigating a wipe.

And ds's preschool only has a shared bathroom. One of the parent jobs when doing 'in-schooling' (in school volunteering) is wiping down the toilet, the faucet/sink knobs, and the door handles.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I agree. We had a dd's (girl) friend over today and found a drop of water/pee on our toilet seat. Dd doesn't get pee any more but she did a few times when she was younger. I am not sure about the floor though - if girls can manage to get it on the floor without wetting their underpants/clothes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

I wouldnt assume it is only 'the biys' who get pee and poo on the seat. I've seen girls get pee all over the seat. I've seen both girls and boys get poo on the set while navigating a wipe.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 PM

But, don't tell her that girls pee on the seat too... she'll never use a public restroom again.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 AM

It's normal to be shared if there is a bathroom in each classroom for sure.  PreK kids still need to be supervised in the bathroom and teachers are usually women so that's why they are shared.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:47 PM

My DD's preschool has a shared bathroom but one side is boys and one side is for girls.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 01-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My kid's preschool has a separate bathroom for boys and girls.  The doors have been taken off, and there are no stall doors.  A teacher usually stands outside or nearby to supervise.  The toddler rooms (up to 3 years old) have two tiny shared toilets.  Toddlers don'ts seem to mind though.  DD1's kindergarten definately has separate bathrooms for boys and girls. 

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Every classroom that I've had has one bathroom that is used by everyone. It's the teaching staff's job to clean the seats as needed but they often won't know about a need unless someone points it out. Both boys and girls can make the seats messy. If fact, preschool boys are usually less messy than older boys since they are closer to the toilet bowl at that age.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You might check with the school and find out how often the toilets are cleaned and rely that (or not) to your daughter. Pee is a healthy person is usually sterile. If you knew they were being wiped down every day or twice a day you might be able to help manage/downplay her fears/dislike. Other options would be to provide some wet wipes for wiping down the toilet for the teachers or students or asking the teacher to discuss it in class.

Tags
Child
User Tag List