DD has very dry/sensitive skin--lotion recs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi--DD has a non-itchy, rough pink rash on her cheeks, (one worse than the other) and also some dry skin on her arms. I don't think it's eczema because it doesn't itch, and I think it's just dry skin...(if it sounds like a medical issue, let me know, but it's been ongoing and doesn't seem to bother her.)   Anyway, I'm looking for a gentle dry skin lotion that won't make her break out more...thoughts? (She is 3). 

#2 of 10 Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My daughter gets the same thing - in the winter she gets it as soon as we start having to run the heat and it's been a pretty mild year so far, so she hasn't had it very much.  In the summer, she used to get it when we went swimming every day.  Aquaphor is the only thing that works and we have tried it ALL.  Eucerin is a very good line for sensitive skin (and they don't test on animals, Aquaphor is a division of Eucerin). 

#3 of 10 Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Eucerin is too heavy for my face, but I've found a neutragena light night cream that I really like. I put it on my kids' faces, too. No fragrance, and it doen't burn.  It's about  $11.00 for a small container, but it goes a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000052YP4/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 10 Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 PM

we have had very good luck with Arbonne's ABC cream for babies. i get cracks on my hands in winter, and Arbonne's skin conditioning oil works wonders. it has a very light smell (not added, but from the herbs in it), but absorbs very quickly. you only need the tiniest drop. dd is highly averse to any soap/lotion with smell, and this does not bother her. i had tried olive oil, but that smell is too strong for her.

no animal testing/ingredients, vegetable-based product lines

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#5 of 10 Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 PM

I have rosacea (that appeared during my first winter in the dry/frigid upper midwest).  I've tried all sorts of things, and have had the best luck with Cera-Ve moisturizing cleanser and cream (tube or tub-- the pump lotion isn't heavy enough).

#6 of 10 Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Olivier Mon Bébé cream is made local to my parents and I picked up a sample from their local farmer's market.  DD had a really bad dry patch on her legs, and nothing cleared it up--until I put this cream on once!  http://www.oliviersoaps.com/olivier/p-11-baby-cream.aspx

#7 of 10 Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the great suggestions! 

#8 of 10 Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 AM

I've been using a combination of castor oil and olive oil on all of our skins this year and it's been amazing!  Who knew I didn't have to buy lotion??

#9 of 10 Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 AM

Try 2 oz of water with 1 oz of witch hazel and 5-10 drops of lavender oil in a spray bottle. It makes a very nice light moisturizer that won't clog pores or provide a breeding ground for fungus or bacteria which can be the cause of cronic skin irritation. Make sure sheets are changed frequently, that she drinks extra water, and exfoliate with dry cloth before bathing a couple times a week. Also, you can put a couple drops of lavender or tea tree oil in the bath and make sure she's really well dried off after, let her run naked for bit or use a hair dryer on the affected spots.

I get recurring dry red patches in the winter and my DH and LO have eczema and this it really helps us.

#10 of 10 Old 12-24-2011, 05:19 PM

www.poofscloset.com

Poofy organics has great lotions in general, but they have one that is specifically for excema and similar skin conditions. I forget the exact name, but excema is in the name. Good luck!

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.
Benjamin Franklin

Tags
Child

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page