Tubby Phase Before Growth Spurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This has probably been addressed a million times on MDC, but does anyone else's DD/DS go through a tubby phase before a major growth spurt?  My DD is about 5.5 and I've noticed this pattern in the last few years.  Right now she is really tubby, but her eating and exercises habits have not changed for the worse, in fact she is exercising and more active than ever.  She eats a balanced diet and loves her veggies.

I don't notice this pattern in other kids that we're around (or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough).  DD's body type mimics DH's side of the family - which has consistently been muscular and short.  When she does grow, she thins out considerably.  Will this continue until she's a teen?  I have to keep a consistent supply of stretch pants on hand.  :)

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 PM

A few family members have noticed a little weight gain, I told them I think they're ready to shoot up again!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our daughter does this. She gets a little belly, and then she'll thin out. This fall, I was beginning to get fairly concerned about her weight because it was becoming disproportionate to her height and her measurements put her in the "plus" category for girls. Now she's outgrown all her size 7/8 shirts and needs a size 10 and is no longer "plus".

Ds meanwhile simply eats more. I never notice him looking chubbier. (Though to be honest, he'd have to gain a lot of weight to look chubby. He's got a good 5-6" on dd in terms of height and their weights are pretty close.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

yup this is us too.

except her food habits change. dd eats and eats and eats. she is always sooo hungry. after an hour she has her second bfast or lunch and dinner. she'll do this before she actually hits her spurt.

she gets a round belly and round cheeks. 

and then boom. she shoots up. it is so noticable. i can actually see the growth - the tall and lean. so i'll go and put on the pants she was wearing last week and sure enough they would be above her ankles. 

dd takes after her dad. he was in plus sizes till he was about 14 and then became lean and thin. 

dd has been in plus sizes for the last two years. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 12-22-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, for your comments!  I had a feeling I wasn't imagining it, and sometimes I get concerned that I may be doing something wrong.  The growth process is interesting to watch and it is fascinating to see how different bodies go through that process.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.

Tags
Child
User Tag List