Mothering article on tooth fairy and fantasy in general - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

years ago I read a great Mothering magazine article on "lying" to your children around things like the tooth fairy and it talked about two perspectives -- those who want to nurture kids fantasies and those who do not wan to lie to children.  It was such a good article and I want to go back to it but I can't find it.  It had to be between 2004 and 2009 but I cannot find it.  Anybody know what I'm talking about and can tell me what issue it was in?

#2 of 9 Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM

I don't have the answer just subbing because DH and I have been having this discussion now that we have a child. I'd love to see the article too if anyone knows how to find it!

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

#3 of 9 Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM

oops double post

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like the articles that don't relate to breastfeeding and pregnancy aren't archived.  I remember reading an article by a mom talking about fairy play and I have been looking for it since I read it.  I found a few online that were contributed to Mothering.  Here are some of them:

This one is one is written by a dad:

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/19478617/variety-habits-fairies

This is a really old article describing the Waldorf take on fairies and development:

http://www.informedfamilylife.org/2005/01/the_magical_years_of_childhood.html

This is the article that really stood out to me, it is a mother's journey through throwing herself into keeping the imagination alive and also how she helped her daughter when she realized fairies weren't real:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1447533711.html

#5 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

do you know the actual citation for the one from highbeam.com. Through highbeam the only way I can read it is to sign up.  If I have the citation I can probably find it myself.  That one looks like it might be the one I was thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

This is the article that really stood out to me, it is a mother's journey through throwing herself into keeping the imagination alive and also how she helped her daughter when she realized fairies weren't real:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1447533711.html

#6 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I think it is the information at the top of the article.  Fall of the Fairies, Mothering March 1, 2008 and the author is Emrys, Dylan. I clicked the copyright date and it says it was copyrighted by Mothering Magazine in 2007.  I am assuming it is in the March issue from 2008 though and some local libraries may have the back issues still.  Our local library keeps back issues and so does the Library at the University.

#7 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yes!!! that is it!!  It is March 2008 "Fall of the Fairies".  I actually have access to it via the University library where I work.  Thank you soooo much!!!!  

dylan likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 12:05 PM

HI, I just saw this when I was trying to find an online copy of my article. I was hoping Mothering would have archives of their old issues, but I haven't had any luck. But I'm not done looking!

Meanwhile, I wrote the article, titled "Fall of the Fairies" and I can get you a copy, plus my response to two letters that were very negative in nature if you like. The reply to those letters has more information about the point of the article.

Let me know!

quirkylayne likes this.

Family Insights: Helping kids and the parents they're raising. 
#9 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Any way you could share the article and letters here? It's a subject that I'm very much interested in, as a fiction writer and mama. I blogged a little about it here.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Tags
Children

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page