my 10 month old has senstive ears - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-29-2011, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello my name is kelly i have a 10 month old daughter and she has sensitive ears and every time some one yells or her brothers yells she has to cover her ears and she does not like it she all ways cry's because if it. When we go out she does not like to be in a loud crow of people .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM

My son's hearing has also always been super sensitive. Are you wondering if it's normal? It is.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#3 of 10 Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

yes i would like to know if it is normal

#4 of 10 Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 AM

Almost certainly! Her regular hearing check should confirm it for you. 

I still have to cover my son's ears for certain noises, but he's also super tuneful musically, so maybe there's an upside.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#5 of 10 Old 12-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

These may be helpful for when being in crowds is fun for everyone else...
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Banz-Hearing-Protector-Earmuffs/dp/B002SW3EZ6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325358600&sr=1-1-catcorr

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#6 of 10 Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM

We bought those headphones for our 2.5 yr old DD when she was 1. She also has very sensitive hearing and hates loud noises.

We could not grind coffe or use a blender or vacuum or anything around her.

We didn't use the headphones for those things, we just never did them when she was around. Now at 2.5 she is better with household noises.

We use the headphones to go to fun events and it allows her to enjoy herself. She has now been able to enjoy parades, fireworks, music festivals and crowds. They still allow her to hear, even with us just talking to her, but they cut the noise down to a tolerable level for her. We bought ours at a music store. They sell them for drumming. The ones we have will do her for years as they are adjustable. They fit her when she was 1yr old and will probably fit until she is 8 or 9.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 10 Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 AM

Your kiddos may also fall into the category of "highly sensitive". Check out the books by Elaine Aron
http://www.amazon.com/Highly-Sensitive-Child-Children-Overwhelms/dp/0767908724/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325614254&sr=8-1

Or her website

http://www.hsperson.com/pages/child.htm

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#8 of 10 Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

should i take her to a ear doctor

#9 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Personally I wouldn't see a dr unless your little one is having pain in her ears outside of loud noises. There isn't anything they can do for someone w/sensitive hearing.

#10 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

No, not neccessarily normal at all.  Probably, but not definitely.  Check out "Sensory Processing Disorder" and don't be afraid to get an OT eval if you think it is warranted. 

Oh, and welcome to MDC! :)

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Child

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page